Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Favorite LH Rifles

9K views 43 replies 34 participants last post by  BertL 
#1 ·
Gents,

What are your favorite left handed rifles or rifles that cater to a LH shooter? Ill go first- I love anything made by the Montana Rifle Company b/c they will build anything LH. I have a 350 Rem mag and a 375 H&H by them and love the CRF action and the model 70 style. For your money they are the best out there in my opinion.

Secondly I really like the Rem 788's. One of the most accurate actions I have ever had and I put a bull barrel on my 308 and it will shoot a hair of a fly's ass.

Third, I really like Ruger MKII M77's. Great actions and shooters too.

I would like to find a Zastava LH...they look like fun.

Feel Free to post pics. I will later.

#30 ·
I'm a lefty. One of those people that is so left dominant the right side of my brain does all the work. I am the only lefty in the family, going back and forward several generations. Go figure.
Majored in art in school, math was/is a struggle. Growing up in a gun family, I was lucky enough that my uncle taught the 1911 while in the AAC during WWII.
He taught me to handle the 1911 with both hands, using my left hand to do the things righties do. He also taught all of us to shoot handgun with both hands, and I am just about as comfortable with my right hand as I am with my left. And, I still practice often with my right hand.
When it came time to "solo" with a rifle his 39A served as my training rifle. I have had a thing for Marlins ever since.
He urged me to get a LH bolt gun though as it would be so much easier. I ended up with a 788 in .6mm. It was a great rifle, very accurate.
But I traded it off for a .375 94, it just felt awkward having been around so many RH rifles. I know now I shoulda kept it.
I learned to run a RH bolt gun left handed, and never saw it as a problem.
When I got drafted and we went to the range for the first time I was the only lefty in the group and the range officer told me I was on my own. I fell into the M14 quickly, and still consider it the best ambidextrous combat rifle, much more so than the Garand.
I guess my holy grail for a LH bolt gun would be a 700 BDL varmint in.308.

I am having trouble with my vision, and may be forced to go to my right side with long guns. I have a torn retina on my left side, and may eventually have to change over. I have practiced a lot lately, and the transition won't be that difficult.

I urge all of us to practice with our "off hands". You never know what the future hold for us, accidents, strokes, all kinds of things could change which side we shoot from. And also, to determine which eye is dominant. Not as important with a scope as it is with irons, but still, using your dominant eye makes you a better shooter. Most all of us has a .22 we can take to the range and practice with.
I really like my Marlins, but growing up with bolt guns I have the Marlins more for what they are than what they do.
I do feel for my left handed brothers and sisters, though. Left handed leather is almost non existent, and sometimes higher priced.
Training is sometimes difficult depending on how well the instructor can "think in negative". I find it easier to just live in a "right handed world" but depending on how much of a bother you find it, move over to the other side.

Reactions: gunscrewguy
#32 ·
I know I am late to this thread. But since I found this I have read a lot and been really impressed with the information. I probably own the least expensive LH rifle here but I can assure you that it is a shooter that I purchased new in May of 1978. I have reloaded for it since 93 and it has always done its part when I do mine. It is a Remington 788 LH chambered in .308 Winchester. In 1978 it was only available in 6mm Rem or .308. Since my uncle shot a .308 I said give me the .308. I have never looked back. The "factory" trigger would never make it past the final inspection now days and has never had anything touched besides cleaning. It loves Hornady interlocks, 150 and 165 grain. An inexpensive hunting rifle that was actually a good gun with a very fast lock time as per the information I can find on it. Any way here is a previous post with the proof and my old reliable 788.

Well, the stars all lined up, the good Lord said "you can have this" and here is the result!

I was not able to use the 444 as the first stand we tried had the opportunity for some 250+ yard shots. So I went to "old reliable,"
my old Remington Model 788. That being the situation I did not want to have a long shot at a nice animal that was farther than I wanted to shoot the T4 as I have only put 50 rounds thru it and am not completely satisfied with my sight in as of yet. Here is the technical stuff, Range was 105 yards, .308 Winchester, 150 grain Hornady Spire Point Interlock boat tail, 45.5 grains Reloader-12 (old load, don't look for it now but it works well in that gun, not yours), CCI 200 primer and Remington brass. Bullet retained 127.6 grains and mushroomed to .76 inches (just under the skin of the right shoulder, recovered). I really wanted to use the 444 but at the stand we started with it would have not been the best choice as I wanted the Axis Buck and was a guest on the ranch. That being said I could have used it but I have not mastered predicting the future yet. Anyway, there it is and I really enjoyed myself and the hunt. And yes, that is a "Southpaw" Model 788.

#34 ·
I guess ill resurrect this oldie and add my ¢2. I started out hunting with a Remington7600 in 30/06 because it was easy to operate as a lefty. It was stolen and in the meantime I became enamored with my uncles 25/06 but there were no factory left-hand 25/06s to be found . I found that Browning had the BLR-81in 257 Roberts and thought that would be close enough and satisfy my itch for a quarter bore. It worked and worked well but Browning began cataloging their Left hand Stainless Stalker in 25/06 so I ordered one. It took almost a year but it finally came in and the 257went down the road. (I wish I still had that one) then I was given a Remington788 left-hand that was chambered in 308 or so I thought. Someone had it rebored to 358Win but had not marked the barrel. Then came a Browning Micro hunter in 7mm08 and finally a Ruger M77Mk2 in 30/06. And there are my true lefty rifles not counting any levers.
Goat

#36 ·
Ruger No. 1, they don't care which side of the stock that you are on. I think I have 19 of them so I like them a lot, and they are lever action.
I build my own AR platform rifles both AR10 and AR15 and use ambi lowers and LH upper receivers and BCG's.
Lever actions are all lefthanded, but there are some things that I do to enhance them.

#40 ·
I'm a leftie. Only leftie I own is a very early Savage 110L in .30-06.
Because I'm losing my left eye I'm slowly teaching myself to shoot off the wrong side.
I'm right eye dominant anyway so at 74 I'm learning to shoot all over again...
Air gun Wood Shotgun Trigger Musical instrument accessory
Wood Musical instrument Air gun Shotgun Musical instrument accessory

Reactions: rkcolt45
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.