Left handed in a right handed world
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Left handed in a right handed world

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Left handed in a right handed world

Been left handed from day one. Did everything that way. As I progressed in life ... more and more I had to adapt to the right handed world we all live in. So, I've evolved into ambidextrous. Today ... I can use either hand. Write ... twist a wrench ... shoot ... use a computer mouse ... baseball bat, pretty much anything. One day, at work, I set the common computer mouse up for left hand operation, to see what would happen if right handers were confronted with what I had to deal with. Damn it was funny!

It short circuited their brains so bad, they couldn't use it. Within 15 minutes I had to switch it back. So ... how many of us have adapted to the right handed world?
    auskip07, doc9316, moofy07 and 8 others like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Cross dominate here, Left handed but Right eye dominate, Shooting rifles is easy, handgun shooting was harder.
    moofy07, Steven M. and lever30 like this.
    Team 60 member #388
    Jan 1945 SA M1
    1952 Marlin 336 in 30/30
    1964 Marlin 336 in 35 Rem
    Marlin 60 circa 1981
    Savage Mark II FV
    Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor
    Ruger Mini 14
    Swiss K-31
    Mosin
    4 built AR's

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Been left handed since I quit sucking my thumb. Soon after the ambidextrous solution came into play. I have definite skill differences with either right or left hand with many tasks but can do almost anything with either hand. Throwing a ball is a right handed task only. Left handed I throw worse than a three year old girl. Unless it would be tossing a lit stick of dynamite back handed. Batting both sides of the plate came in handy when a pitcher needed some attitude adjustment.

The only ambidextrous thing I haven't tried is driving a right hand drive vehicle with stick shift. That would take some concentration.
    Jeff

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

"Don't worry 'bout the mule, just load the wagon." Unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That gave me some trouble, until I started using the 'two handed' grip styles. Then switching back and forth was easier. After that 'point shooting' ... helped a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
    Cross dominate here, Left handed but Right eye dominate, Shooting rifles is easy, handgun shooting was harder.
    moofy07 and Steven M. like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstMarlin View Post
    That gave me some trouble, until I started using the 'two handed' grip styles. Then switching back and forth was easier. After that 'point shooting' ... helped a lot.
    Ive adopted the modified weaver stance and that helped give me a good starting point. long term focusing on the front sight im still training myself to do. I do alot of things right handed so teaching myself to shoot with either hand manning the trigger cant be a bad thing.
    Team 60 member #388
    Jan 1945 SA M1
    1952 Marlin 336 in 30/30
    1964 Marlin 336 in 35 Rem
    Marlin 60 circa 1981
    Savage Mark II FV
    Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor
    Ruger Mini 14
    Swiss K-31
    Mosin
    4 built AR's

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstMarlin View Post
    With rifles I just close the other eye since I usually close one eye shooting long guns. With pistols, it doesn't seem to matter. I would have to check to see how I am doing it but I will bet I am using the left eye with left hand and vice versa. Unless it is very close then I use the finger point method of aiming. But I would be using my left hand with a pistol only if my right was incapacitated.
    Jeff

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

"Don't worry 'bout the mule, just load the wagon." Unknown

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I am left handed almost all the way... I shoot, throw, catch, bat, write, fish, golf, (well sort of golf) lefty. I can manage to brush my teeth and use my mouse with my right hand, but definitely not shave, and that's about all.

Luckily, though I am as nearsighted as they come, I am left eye dominate. According to the statistics, we have shorter lifespans due to the fact that we have to put up with all the stupid righty rules... :-P Ho well... :-D
    Last edited by Dawei; 05-20-2017 at 08:44 AM.
    moofy07, Steven M. and BFPGW like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Rifles never gave me a lot of trouble ... might be because I had something to steady my head on? Rear sight closer to the eye? Not sure. My first rifle was a front loader ... hammer is on the right side ... maybe that is what got me started.
    Last edited by FirstMarlin; 02-06-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Born left handed. I guess I've just learned to adapt. Whoever taught me how to bat when I was a kid apparently never asked and I both bat and golf right handed. I've never been able to shot a right handed rifle so my hunting guns that are bolt action are left handed Ruger77s. Pistols are no problem and I really don't have an off hand. I've always used a mouse with my right hand and have no idea what it would be like to use one left handed.
    BTW: I've always wondered about Sam Colt and the Colt SAA? It's a lot easier to load for a left hander than a right handed person.
    Jim
    moofy07, Steven M. and johnhenry57 like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I'm left handed at everything I do except shooting.

Never had a difficult time with it except when using right handed scissors, makes my thumb sore and get a blister if I use them long enough.

I've gotten used to using a computer mouse either way.

It's always felt more natural to shoot right handed because of a dominant right eye, been that way since I got my first BB gun as a kid. Doesn't work too well in archery which is why I gave up on that many years ago.
    Last edited by Dawei; 05-20-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    moofy07 likes this.
    336A 30-30
    30AS 30-30
    Model 60
    XT-22

Team 336 #1111
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #24

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links