• 3 Post By Steven M.
  • 2 Post By CJ-5
  • 1 Post By VinceA
  • 1 Post By Steve_In

Thread: Point of Aim

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Point of Aim

I have a question for left handed shooters. Does the point of aim/impact shift if you shoot a rifle that belongs to a right handed shooter? I have two grandson's that are left handed and I want to make sure they have a fun time at the range without having to change my sights or scope from my zero. My son is ambidextrous and this is not an issue with him.
    Tar_Heel 336 and Justducky like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I'm no expert but I would think that once the rifle is zeroed it will strike where it is pointed no matter which shoulder absorbs the kick back - almost like shooting right handed and physically moving to left 18 inches -? I would think maybe that it would be the individual's personal point of aim and cheek weld that would change the strike of the round more than which shoulder is used.

“Conservatives want to alter their lifestyles to meet reality. Leftists want to alter reality to meet their lifestyles” - Frank Turek, Cross Examine Radio Show
    Reading or Listening for Comprehension instead of Confrontation leads to much better Conversation - Tar_Heel 336
    "The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its Limits" - Albert Einstein
    ”Yup, but I was on a rant” 49FMarlin... "I hear ya, Brother - Been There, Done That" - Tar_Heel

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Depends on which is their dominate eye.
    May not make a difference with a scope but it certainly will if they ever decide to use open sights.
    I'm a leftie who shoots righty due to a dominate right eye.
    Since getting my first BB gun as a kid I've never felt comfortable shooting left handed.

That should be the determining factor as to which hand to shoot with.
    They'll probably gravitate towards their own preference and I wouldn't do anything to discourage the choice they make.
    336A 30-30
    30AS 30-30
    Model 60
    XT-22

Team 336 #1111
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #24

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Front sight, rear sight and target make a straight line. Line does not know your hand preference. I am left handed and my guns shoot the same place for right handlers.
    Tar_Heel 336 and Judson like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Many variables to this answer. I would say even if they were right handed they would shoot it differently, especially with iron sights. Scopes can take some of this away but everyone brings their own perspective to the game and how they look at things, no difference with shooting. Some of the variables, height, length of pull, cheek weld, trigger control, etc....... I zero my son's scoped rifle but he has to do final zeroing. It will be close but slightly different.

Vince
    Tar_Heel 336 likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have shot a lot of rifles sighted in for right handers and most hit where they are supposed to.
    Pistols not so good. Most shoot right for me.
    It is Christmas Grandpa, a rifle of their own would be great under the tree.
    Tar_Heel 336 likes this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Yeppers I agree with the above. Obviously hopefully the left-handed shooter has a left dominant eye.. the only place for me shooting righthanded firearm becomes an issue is when I am trying to cycle the bolt of a bolt gun. I do ask to be put on the left side of the shooting Lanes at the range so as cartridges eject from the guy beside me they don't hit me in the face.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links