For the left handed and other advantages. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: For the left handed and other advantages.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawei View Post
    Right handed but left eye dominate here. I shoot a handgun right handed but with a rifle or shotgun it's ALWAYS left handed.
    Add me to that list. Which is why I fell in love with the 338. More punch than an '06 and lefty friendly. Plus my friends that shoot right handed can shoot it w/o any hassle too.

The couple of comments here about semi auto ejection patterns is why I use a revolver.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Fella's;

I'm new here, but have 'been around' awhile. Shot NRA indoor competition in the early 60's and there was no chance of my getting a lefty bolt target gun at that time. Got pretty good at it too, but swore that if at all possible I was gonna own LH guns from then on. I've done pretty well at that, if I do say so myself. They are: CZ American .22lr, CZ fullstock (custom gun) .22lr, CZ .223, Stag AR .223, LH bolt in 6.5 x 55mm Swede (custom gun), Winchester model 70 stainless in ought-6, Tikka T3 ought-6, and a Tikka Whitetail Hunter in .338 Winchester magnum. Several Marlin levers, but they aren't lefties IMHO, they eject out the wrong side. Same with the Browning T-bolt in .22 magnum. Now then, anybody got a Coonan Portsider?

MTDUC

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Right handed and left eye dominant as well here, so I'm an ambidextrous my necessity guy.
    I wouldn't mind a nice left handed bolt but I'm on A mission first for a quality left handed knife
    grilla720 and WiscoHunter like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I'm Left handed but shoot right handed because of a dominant right eye. Shot right handed since I got my first BB gun as a kid and never gave it much thought.
    336A 30-30
    30AS 30-30
    Model 60
    XT-22

Team 336 #1111
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #24

draselok
    When the sight in my right eye started to go about 10 years ago, I decided is was time to start shooting left handed, Started off with a handgun then finally got used to a rifle.
    Since I was always left eys dominant, going left was the best decision I made. Most of my center fire rifles were lever, so not problem, I did buy a lefthanded CZ .22lr bolt, that I love to shoot.The really good part is when I shoot weak hand in IDPA, It's really not my weak hand.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Left eye dominant. Have always shot left-handed (and throw and kick left-footed) but do everything else right-handed like writing, and swinging a bat or golf club. Of all the guns I own, only 2 are true lefties - a Savage bolt action in .270 and a flintlock I made myself. I'm used to right-side ejection, but the worst is dealing with a cross bolt safety. Guns with tang safeties work best for me (like my 2 Browning Citoris). As for Marlins, I do get along just fine with my 39A and Model 1895!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I've realized that being left handed wasn't much of an impairment because it necessarily lead to some degree of ambidexterity. It became somewhat of an advantage in baseball, basketball, boxing, and martial arts. I can operate two computer interfaces at the same time too .
    Last edited by grilla720; 02-28-2015 at 09:45 PM.
    WiscoHunter likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    You're lucky - I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...
    RB Rider likes this.
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Team Wisconsin MO'ers #106
    Team Old Pharts #295
    Team Southpaws #47
    Team Browning #103
    Team Glenfield #62
    NRA Life Member since 1993

Deadeye
    Member #
    Most of us lefties are at least somewhat ambidextrous, some more than others. I grew up shooting right handed, guns, bows, billiards, ect. and thought I did pretty well. When I discovered I was left eye dominant I forced myself to shoot left handed. Felt really awkward at first but I shoot way better than I ever did right handed. I won't shoot a LH bolt gun, I very much prefer a RH bolt. From a bi-pod, bag, or bench there really is an advantage shooting a RH bolt LH'd. And single loading a Marlin lever is an advantage as well for a lefty. At least for this one. No real difference either hand for pumps,semi autos, or handguns. Side locks are the only type gun I prefer in left handed. Wish they made left handed trapdooors...
    Team 45-70 #1528

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My trapdoor works fine lefthanded, must have been a factory mistake, an 1884 trapdoor with bluffington sights. I am one of those who shoots ambidexterous sometimes, when on a pistol team in the army, I thought it might be advantagous to also train with my right hand. never can tell when you might need to shoot with the wrong hand.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links