First time Grey Squirrel hunting with my son, first grey squirrel.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: First time Grey Squirrel hunting with my son, first grey squirrel.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

First time Grey Squirrel hunting with my son, first grey squirrel.

My son and I went Hunting together for the first time on Monday. It was my first time out with a firearm, and not an air rifle, and it was both of our first times hunting grey squirrels. I've gone after reds a few times because they aren't protected, but Grey season just opened. We only managed to bag one, but it was a great shot with a magic bullet. I was using the new CCI Quiet 22 ammo in my 39a, and my son had CCI CB shorts in his Model 100. We saw two (maybe even three) at once all in the same tree. My son was to my left, so I sent him after the one (or two) that went left and I went for the one on the right. My son's never showed himself, and he had the self discipline not to take a shot at those rustling leaves. I'm very proud of him for that. Mine was a female, and she gave me a clean shot.

She was broadside to me about 45 yards away. I hit her so far back on the ribs, that I thought it was a gut shot, but it actually hit just ahead of the diaphragm. It must have deflected off of the rib or been steered by the tearing skin on the way in, because it took a sharp left, demolished both lungs, and exited above the right shoulder blade. DRT. It was dead before it fell off the branch. I say the bullet exited, but it actually didn't. The bullet exited the bony part of the torso, but it was trapped under the skin, and I was able to recover it. Just because it was my first squirrel I saved the brass, but I never expected to get the bullet back too. My son even let me have a leg when I cooked her up. He's a good boy. I'm glad I've been practicing cleaning and cooking reds, because this grey came out PERFECT. It was tastier than the reds too, but a bit harder to skin, and a bit easier to butcher.

We saw one more grey, but I didn't take the shot because I wanted my son to get it, but it ran before he got into position. Same thing happened with two reds, and after that we agreed that from now on if I get a clean line of sight I should just take the shot instead of trying to let him have it.

I missed another red squirrel twice (yes two shots at the same squirrel), and he missed another one once. My two misses were very frustrating, because the squirrel was close, but I was much more bummed that he missed. He was really looking forward to getting one. Reds can hide right in front of you too. You pull that trigger, and hit or miss; they just become ghosts.

Later on we heard a red give a loud warning chitter from just behind us, and very close to (if not on) the ground. I turned to see what I now think was a chipmunk, and I nailed it from about 15 yards. I knocked it over sideways, right off the stump that it was on, but it must have had enough fight left to duck back into it's burro, which was just a couple of inches from where it must have landed. I felt bad about hitting a chipmunk, since I have no interest in eating one of those. But MAN, they look exactly like a red squirrel from the side. Until you see that stripe on their back or the shape of their head from the top, they are identical.

The only real problem that we had all day was that my son is very loud. Now I'm no ninja out there, but I can walk quieter than he can stand still. I had to keep reminding him to pick his feet up instead of scuffing them, to put them down softly instead of stomping or flopping them, and to step on grass and moss instead of branches and sticks. He must have felt like I was on his case the whole time, but I did try to tell him that he was doing good otherwise, and that I was just trying to increase his chances of seeing more squirrels.

Overall it was a great day, and neither of us can wait to go again. I don't know when we'll get another chance though, now that he's playing Football on Saturday mornings. I don't want him thinking that it's ok to skip church. I'm so glad that we decided to take up hunting together. Thank you all for all the tips and knowledge you've shared on this forum.
    1946 Marlin model 39A
    1978 Glenfield model 40 (Marlin model 49DL)
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Hey, you can't say that in America!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Sounds like a great father and son adventure. One that will remain with that young boy all his life!

Way to go!

CJ
    Last edited by Cascade Jinx; 09-05-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    pokey likes this.
    USN RET Team 35 member #33

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Hunting squirrels with a 22 is a lot of fun. But when the leaves are still on the trees a small gauge shotgun has worked really well for me. I'm glad you took your son hunting...
    pokey likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
    Nothin better than a mess of yearling grey squirrels. Usually quite a bit more tender than the ole big reds...We cut em up, roll em in egg and flour, pan fry em, then make gravy out of the drippings. Ya don't even have to tenderize the young yearling grey squirrels before fryin. The meat falls right off the bone...
    OK, two questions... How do you tell a yearling from an older one? I've never made gravy before. Is it anything special, or do you just use whatever gravy recipe you can find?

I used my squirrel and rice recipe that I posted in the campfire cook section. I couldn't be happier with the results, but I'm willing to try.

Quote Originally Posted by cgcollins View Post
    Hunting squirrels with a 22 is a lot of fun. But when the leaves are still on the trees a small gauge shotgun has worked really well for me. I'm glad you took your son hunting...
    Thanks. We're stuck with .22s this year I think. We don't have any shotguns (or even a center fire for deer hunting). That's why we're using the CB shorts and the Quiet 22s. They don't carry much energy very far, so I feel that they're a lot safer for elevated shots than some of the HV stuff out there.

One bad thing did come out of the day though. My wife made a new house rule. She said no more cooking squirrels when she's home.
    So far I had only done it when she wasn't around. Maybe if I only cook them out back on the grill?
    1946 Marlin model 39A
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Pokey,explain to momma that your taking your boy hunting now ,so that she does not have to hunt for him later! and if she cant understand that,tell her you will miss her! lol! just kidding bud.
    - Fran-

Better to be thought of as an idiot,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Well, if you stick with the 22 you won't break your teeth on all the pellets! Shoot a few more squirrels, and you'll be able to easily tell the difference in the young/old ones. Or, try to fry an old one...then you'll certainly know!
    pokey and planeflyer21 like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Haha thanks guys. I guess I'll have to sort the young ones from the old ones after I shoot them.

My wife doesn't mind us hunting them, she just doesn't want to see or know about any of it. Sadly, he isn't her son (thank God she isn't his mother though, if ya catch my drift), and he doesn't live with us, so certain arguments don't work so well on her as you'd think. No cooking wild game in the house while she's home, and that's that (or I get to share the wild with the game).
    1946 Marlin model 39A
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Great story. I really enjoyed reading it. How old is your son? I am impressed the you "don't want him thinking that it's ok to skip church." So many people don't even go to church anymore. Good for you.
    pokey, cookieman and vaslugger like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    (or I get to share the wild with the game).

Funny...but always good to know who rules the roost..

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Virginia will solve that dilemma for you ..absolutely no hunting allowed on Sundays! North Carolina's the same and maybe a few others. It may not be a bad thing, but Id be happy to have the choice to hunt...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links