Squirrel season is open - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Squirrel season is open

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Yup...cut my teeth on squirrel hunts too. Dad always said if you can hit a squirrel with a 22...you can hit a deer. It was great practice.

redhawk
    10acres and .DIRTY-.THIRTY like this.
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Be Alert....we need more lerts.
    Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Here in Ohio season has been getting earlier & earlier. I don't like to hunt when flies are on it before it hits the ground. We have those warvils too and I won't eat a squirrel that has them. Small game hunting around here has dropped to a small following. Use to be that everybody hunted squirrels. The new generations don't because most don't eat them or wife won't cook them. Squirrel is one thing we have plenty of. Coyotes must not have dented them and no hunting pressure makes the hunting here better than it ever was. We do have a lot more greys than in years past. It use to be fox squirrels were most common. They like big woods and a lot of them have been timbered out the last 20yrs. Now the greys have taken over in the second growth and scrub.The chipmunks that use to be thick are just about extinct, coyotes got them along with most other small animals.
    Judson likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Ohio COULD have a split season. Squirrels in Ohio have a first litter in March (which could be hunted in May/June). They have a second litter in August. Our season opens September 1, so adult squirrels are being killed when young ones are in the nest and have yet to be weaned. So, biologically, Ohio squirrel season should be May-June and Oct-December. However, even though the state's biologists know this, tradition is hard to mess with and people are used to what it is.

On a related note, I'm glad Ohio doesn't wait until deer season is over before opening squirrel season. I enjoy squirrel hunting (with my 39A) and that keeps me occupied before deer season.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    About 10yrs ago I was on my way home on a nice early spring day in April or May. Dogwoods and other scrub were in bloom. Ahead of me I saw what looked like a giant grey snake going across the road. It was a grey squirrel migration of some kind. There were several squirrel road kills strung out 25', the tree and brush were alive with greys. I wasn't drinking and had a buddy with me. Telling the story some others had seen it themselves and some claimed to have seen it in the past.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have run across some stupid ones but generally they claim if you can still hunt squirrels you can still hunt deer. We could have spring season for all that it would matter around here as like others state, no many hunt them. Wish we had the fox squirrels though. Lots of greys. Wife does not care for the thought of eating them. One reason small game hunting is getting less popular is that many of the small game numbers are getting pressured enough so that they are hard to get or change. Duck hunting is a opening week thing and then they are gone until very late in the season. Grouse are pressured very heavy and have their natural cycles. When down a lot of hunters get discouraged. Squirrels are just not hunted much. No rabbit population up North to speak of. I tend to fish more now and later into the seasons

DEP

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Small game like rabbits and grouse are suffering from habitat destruction.

In Ye Olde Days - people had to manually clear out ditch banks, field margins, briar patches, and old fields. As a result - they didn't get cleared out except maybe once a year. That left a good place for rabbits, grouse, and quali...

Now we have big powerful diesel bush hog tractors and burn down herbicide... These areas aren't neglected like it used to be - and so there's no good place for those critters to live.

Now add feral cats, coyotes, and fire ants....

How are grouse and quail supposed to nest? Where are rabbits supposed to live?

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Habitat destruction has made grouse really difficult to find up here in the black hills. Never hunted them but hoping to maybe find some this year while I’m out and about tracking down squirrelies
    ‘Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride,’
    The shade replied,
    ‘If you seek for Eldorado!’ -Edgar Allen Poe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links