RE: hard to hack passwords
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: RE: hard to hack passwords

Super Moderator
    Member #

RE: hard to hack passwords

Folks, my wife's corporation had a guest speaker discussing what makes a good password and in short, you can test the time it would take hackers to crack it online - check yours here: https://random-ize.com/how-long-to-hack-pass/

The trick to good passwords is enough random characters and remembering it. Mine is 12 characters and I tested it, I'll tell you the estimated time it would take to crack mine at the end.

An easy method to remember your password is using song lyrics or a poem, you get the idea, memorize it and your password consists of using the first letter of each word. You could make up a statement that has special meaning to you and would be easy to remember. When you type in your password, simply recite your whatever, in your head, typing the first letter of whatever as you go.

Thought I'd pass this along, hackers will move on when tests on random-ize.com indicate a good number of years.

Projected time to crack my password, drum roll........................ 36537 years, 2 months

Good luck hacking it and I've been using the same password for nearly three decades. I figure I'm safe for awhile. LOL

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I'm starting on it NOW !!!!!
    ......just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.....

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Mine came up with 39555681645472620 years... Must be the whole monkeys typing Shakespeare thing...
    mikom, cajun56, JACKTW and 3 others like this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    I've never had my password hacked!

Now my younger brother! Just last week somebody got into his Amazon account twice ordering thing us men would never order! Said part is he changed his password after the first time and he got hit again one day later! Stop using that one password for everything I told him!

ca'jun56
    JACKTW, Blaine, Ret_Eng and 2 others like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Great info JackTw. I would like to add that password strength is just one part of being safe. Apart from having an easy to guess password, most people get hacked because their password is written down or they use the same password from sight to sight. Web sights and servers get hacked and leak information. Redirects, Phishing attempts, and key loggers can capture your password.

Use a program like keypass to store your passwords and account numbers in an encrypted file. Use a single password for keypass, and choose different passwords for each site. You can make the file account and password protected, or just password protected. If it is tied to your account, you cannot open it anyplace place but your computer.
    JACKTW, cajun56 and mikom like this.
    ​~ Mike <*)(((((>{
    MO Project Threads: 44-40 Restore , DIY Case Annealer

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun56 View Post
    I've never had my password hacked!

Now my younger brother! Just last week somebody got into his Amazon account twice ordering thing us men would never order! Said part is he changed his password after the first time and he got hit again one day later! Stop using that one password for everything I told him!

ca'jun56
    You will! I have had a password sent to me in an email. I know which site got hacked because all of my passwords are different.
    cajun56, JACKTW, mikom and 1 others like this.
    ​~ Mike <*)(((((>{
    MO Project Threads: 44-40 Restore , DIY Case Annealer

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKTW View Post
    Folks, my wife's corporation had a guest speaker discussing what makes a good password and in short, you can test the time it would take hackers to crack it online - check yours here: https://random-ize.com/how-long-to-hack-pass/

The trick to good passwords is enough random characters and remembering it. Mine is 12 characters and I tested it, I'll tell you the estimated time it would take to crack mine at the end.

An easy method to remember your password is using song lyrics or a poem, you get the idea, memorize it and your password consists of using the first letter of each word. You could make up a statement that has special meaning to you and would be easy to remember. When you type in your password, simply recite your whatever, in your head, typing the first letter of whatever as you go.

Thought I'd pass this along, hackers will move on when tests on random-ize.com indicate a good number of years.

Projected time to crack my password, drum roll........................ 36537 years, 2 months

Good luck hacking it and I've been using the same password for nearly three decades. I figure I'm safe for awhile. LOL

Jack
    That was until you entered it in that link you provided. Now they have your IP address and password.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    redhawk0, Ray Newman, DWF and 5 others like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Golphin View Post
    That was until you entered it in that link you provided. Now they have your IP address and password.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is exactly what I was thinking?
    JACKTW and cajun56 like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    NEWS FLASH!!!!

Hey Jack

passwords on-line are always vulnerable don't fool yourself.
    JACKTW, 256WinMag, mikom and 1 others like this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I pity the fool that steals my identity,the joke will be on them! mrguvna is correct,have a buddy in IT and he said anyone that is determined will find away,look at our elections.
    Team 30 30 #1434 Team semi auto pistol #78
    Team 45/70 #1965
    Team .35 Rem #785
    Team .22 Mag #195
    Team Old Phart #390

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links