XS Ghost Ring windage screws came jammed...

Contributing Member
    Member #

XS Ghost Ring windage screws came jammed...

Picked up an XS "Tall Weaver Backup Ghost Ring" at Brownells for my 444. This is the one that attaches to a weaver scope base. After installing, I found that both slotted windage screws wouldn't budge. After blasting them with WD-40 and with a lot of back & forth effort I got one side to back off. However, the other side still won't budge either way. Even doused it with acetone then blasted it with Breakfree, it still won't move and the screw slot is pretty well buggered now. It's like it's welded in place.
    It was too late to call XS, so I emailed their tech address four days ago but still haven't got a reply.
    Look at a wolf, look at a deer, look at a human, look at a black bear. The 30-30 was designed to be the most efficient caliber to down any of them within the range you would most commonly encounter such creatures.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    The best way to loosen up this kind of thing is to use a thin penetrating oil designed to unfreeze rusted bolts. Juice the joint then tap the top of the screw with a brass hammer. Hit it with a propane torch and just heat it up ----you don't want to make it glow (or you will soften the metal). You want to heat it ,cool it, heat it, cool it---then try to break it with the screwdriver. If it won't break under normal force don't force it--this is what will bugger up the slot. The cycling of heat and cool will break the frozen threads----keep juicing it with penetrating oil. It works.
    I have done this on many bolts that people thought was a lost cause on boat trailers.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Thought about doing that, but with hot water so not to mess up the finish. If I can get a replacement without having to send it back then I'll work with it. But right now, I'll give XS exactly a week to get back to me before I take my complaint any farther.
    First I though that maybe someone had used threadlocker on it then returned it, but no sign of that. Maybe the finish on the screws wasn't dried enough when it was assembled, gluing itself in there.
    Last edited by 444Hal; 03-25-2017 at 06:22 PM.
    Look at a wolf, look at a deer, look at a human, look at a black bear. The 30-30 was designed to be the most efficient caliber to down any of them within the range you would most commonly encounter such creatures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Just call their customer service tomorrow.
    They are fantastic.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Wanted to give it some time so that they don't have conflicting processes going on how this is handled. But this Tuesday, I'll take the next step. Either calling them or maybe Brownells.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Had the same issue with my windage screws on my brand new SBL. The screw heads are completely buggered, and I am currently looking for a replacement locally. I believe the are 8-40; I have only been able to source 8-32 and 8-36 and both were too course.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Got an email a week later, saying I could send it to them or they'll send new screws. What am I suppose to do with those screws? I'll have to send it back to them.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links