Model 410 Marlin, what is it good for??? LOTS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Model 410 Marlin, what is it good for??? LOTS

Tinhorn
    Member #

Model 410 Marlin, what is it good for??? LOTS

Righto... as some know, I am a fan of the under rated .410. I have things like a modified boito double barrel... cylinder right barrel, modified left (I reamed and polished)... I use the right barrel for 3 inch solids, the left for 3 inch OOO buck (or my brass reloads, which are slightly warmer), generally use Winchester ammo it used to be made in Australia. A Winchester Cooey .410 with the plastic replaced with machined aluminum (WHY Winchester put plastic on a shotgun, at a pivot point... !) etc.
    My favourite .410 by far is my Model 410 Marlin. It is my scrub feral pig gun. I also use it for doing a killer (shooting a beast for meat [we butcher our own]), I do use a .22lr for things like a goat or sheep, when butchering. Prefer the .410 for bigger animals, with a solid. I use it destruction of stock (e.g. horses, short range, head shot, when they need to be destroyed).
    Now I'm just on 6 foot (and closer to 60 than 20 by a LONG way), and the feral pigs I shoot with it would be from just above knee high down. I occasionally get 2 for one's on the suckers, using the 2 1/2 solids.
    The Model 410 'glowing' front sight is perfect for scrub work. The rear sight is far enough forward that I can see it without glasses, whilst focused on putting the glowing ball in the v (I accidentally discovered this when I dropped my reading glasses at the first pig, and didn't notice till the end of the hunt).
    The advantages of the little 410 round are that it doesn't travel very far (aerodynamics of a house brick). Virtually no recoil. Light, and balanced. Solids are accurate in the Model 410 cylinder bore, under 50 metres it is easily minute of pig. As 50m on a crossing shot I usually aim for the front of the chest, to get a shoulder/heart shot. If going hard I move this to down from the ear of a big sucker.
    The round is very soft, so, if you are doing a killer you do the usual brain shot, and the round never exits, but drops them like Thors hammer.
    Not as impressed with the .410 2 1/2 OOO rounds. They do kill pigs, but not the instantaneous drop you achieve with solids. My .395 'musket ball' (literally for muzzle loaders) loads, are more effective )>> remember this is a CYLINDER bore, this MAY NOT work in your shotgun, if they won't go through a through a choked shotgun barrel, when you push them through with a dowel, they CERTAINLY WON'T be safely going through when fired with a charge of powder behind them.
    The Model 410 is based on a 336 marlin, so it is a bit stronger action than 'any old shotgun', so I suspect warmer loads, as long as their accurate, and you don't go silly, are fine.
    If I want rabbits mine likes Winchester No 4; not a dense pattern but two or three pellets kills a rabbit, and few pellets to spit out! The 410 is like a .22lr... find out what YOURS likes, AND PATTERN IT. The fastest load may not be the most accurate.
    Reloading for economy, is important. My solid mould is from an Australian engineering firm, good quality. You can use trimmed .303 cases, for brass reloads, 2 1/2. I have some 9.3 x 74R that I turned into 3 inch shells, for the Boito double barrel (not overly strong/standard shotgun type), and Cooey (again a strong action, with exposed hammer, however standard is a tight choke).

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I like to use mine for skeet when there are folks there who don't know me or what the gun is. They just look on in awe as I bust clays with an old lever action "rifle". Yep. I am the trick shot king. Some days.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    And I forgot to mention... a .410 reload uses stuff all shot, and powder... in the brass use pistol primers (they fit the .303 etc brass - all those rounds come from the same 'family' brass, in the early days, so are basically the same size).
    I found I had to take a couple of thou off the 9.3 x 74R shell 'face' in the lathe (you can still read the writing), so they would close in my shotguns.
    I had to trim the .303 length so they would feed reliably in the lever action (and used oversized cards, for brass, in both).
    Worth the minor effort, for multiple reloads, cheap rounds. Nothing hard, just simple steps.
    M1Riflenut and Timrekah1 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
    I like to use mine for skeet when there are folks there who don't know me or what the gun is. They just look on in awe as I bust clays with an old lever action "rifle". Yep. I am the trick shot king. Some days.
    I take it your using No. 9 shot?
    M1Riflenut likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyMarlin38-40 View Post
    I take it your using No. 9 shot?
    Actually I think they are 7 1/2. I'd have to check, it's been awhile.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    All I know is that I want one. What I'll use it for I have no idea. Doesn't matter though.
    -Very Concerned NRA Life Member (Get it together NRA!)
    -S&W Revolver Nerd
    -Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation
    -Smith & Wesson Collectors Association

Deadeye
    Member #
    Somebody mentioned the 2.5" cartridge is far more limited compared to the 3"... I found a lot of value in that.
    Marlin and Henry are restricted to the 2.5" shotshell... a pity.
    M1Riflenut likes this.
    Life NRA Member; Annual GOA Member, VCDL Member, SASS #108882
    "When I'm dead, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them."
    Marlin 1894CB, Ruger SASS and Bisley Vaqueros, Bisley Single-Six, Charles Daly 500, Henry Frontier

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bgavin View Post
    Somebody mentioned the 2.5" cartridge is far more limited compared to the 3"... I found a lot of value in that.
    Marlin and Henry are restricted to the 2.5" shotshell... a pity.
    They are more 'limited' compared to a 3 inch... but a .22lr is 'limited' compared to a .22WMR, and look how many people shoot .22lr!!
    The factory solid 2.5 has a lighter bullet, going faster, than the 3 inch. A 2.5 inch sends its limited packet of shot downrange at about the same rate as the 3 inch (or a 12G).
    You can adjust things a tad, if you are reloading, but it still remains a lever action musket, with solids, and a short range hunter with shot.
    I would actually like to get one of the later Marlin Model 1895 .410's with the screw in chokes, as well. Based on what I've seen in my other 410's something around modified works well with shot (it varies with different ammunition); I would still want a screw in cylinder bore for solids, to protect the thread.
    Think of .410 like a .22lr (the two most common rounds found on properties were... .22lr and .410, or 12g).
    Reloading makes them VERY affordable to shoot. They are fun to shoot, and within their limits, a capable round, they have minimal recoil, and lower noise (so, again, like a .22lr).
    Not everyone's cup of tea, but just handy and fun... need to shoot a crow raiding the chooks> .410 can be used by wife, and the round WON'T go out of sight. Need to butcher a steer> .410 solid. Need to put down a horse> .410 solid, Fox> .410 solid, medium pig> .410 solid. Need a snake gun? .410 No 9 shot. Rabbit hunting... No. 4 shot. Ducks... No 6 shot [learn to lead the head, not the body](I used to shoot them before the duck season was no more, in Qld; my grandmother cooked them).
    Last edited by BabyMarlin38-40; 05-06-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    M1Riflenut likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Never shot skeet, but from what I've heard a lot favour No9 shot, in .410, for a fuller pattern. Locals here favour No 9 for a snake load, at short range, it minces them up (so I've heard, because shooting snakes, unless they are going to attack you, is illegal... no matter how big an Eastern brown, or Taipan, it is facing you and the kids at the back door! ... our laws, like most, are formulated by people who live in a different world).
    M1Riflenut likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have one of the old shareholders Marlin Lever 410s

What is it good for. To me it is just a cool Shotgun and alot of fun to shoot.
    BabyMarlin38-40 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links