Single Barrel Shotguns
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Single Barrel Shotguns

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Single Barrel Shotguns

I went into a gunstore last week and the staff said they dont take in or sell single barrel shotguns. 'No call for them' they said. I was disappointed and confused. I like and use single barrel shotguns. I especially like the Greener GPs, made here until a few years ago. Point is, I enjoy shooting what you might call more interesting guns.

Am I just a dinosaur (Been called that before) or are there others out there in the gun and shooting ether who feel the same way?
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    They can't make a good single barrel to compete with the junk pumps they sell for $99-$129. Here in US they haved made quality singles since the 60s. They continued making them but cheapened them up. One reciever size wheather 10g or 410g. Still can pick up good older models for $100-$150.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I've long believed a single barrel sidelock Paradox gun would be a utilitarian yet elegant tool for both fur and feather. I even made the suggestion to Holland & Holland but it fell on deaf ears.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    I've long believed a single barrel sidelock Paradox gun would be a utilitarian yet elegant tool for both fur and feather. I even made the suggestion to Holland & Holland but it fell on deaf ears.
    Should have come to me. We used to manufacture firearms in Birmingham, and I did much with H&H. Even used their shooting school in Ruislip a fair bit way back when. Drm50 got it with the price issue. Now days its so cheap to make them elsewhere, its just not cost effective to make working everyday guns here. The high end guns are still made in the UK, shotguns and rifles but they cost a fortune.

On the plus side, many good quality older singles are available and cheap. I have seen them in auctions five to the lot. So few want them now you see.

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    I went into a gunstore last week and the staff said they dont take in or sell single barrel shotguns. 'No call for them' they said. I was disappointed and confused. I like and use single barrel shotguns. I especially like the Greener GPs, made here until a few years ago. Point is, I enjoy shooting what you might call more interesting guns.

Am I just a dinosaur (Been called that before) or are there others out there in the gun and shooting ether who feel the same way?
    Are you a dinosaur? Many of us here are considered to be so. Like dinosaurs, our footprints will be present on this planet a million years from now.

AC

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Henry USA makes quality singles.
    I’ve always wanted a 20 gauge with a 24” rifled barrel and 3” chamber for use in shotgun-only areas for deer and wild hogs.
    Who makes one of those?

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Not my foot print just my name in a few trees on Avery Island, thinking I would go back and see what they looked like now that I'm almost a dinosaur! I sold the only single shot 12 gauge I did buy and the 410 I loaned my dad was nothing but a rusty stick! He was wanting to shoot the hawks after his chickens, but left it out in the open up against a tree.
    So many pumps and auto shotguns in pawn shops and LGS it's unreal!

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Also, the NEF/H&R single barrel guns were built very good , although not fancy.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Just viewed a gun auction, not an hour ago. Took a look at a Greener Police Gun, single barrel, full length wood with a nose cap and bayonet lug. A little too rough, even for me.

If anyone is curious, Southams of Bedford, UK. Sale is tomorrow and lots online.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Griffin,
    H&R USH is the closest you will get to a 24" single shot rifled barrel slug gun. I don't think they are made anymore, but used ones are around, but coveted. Probably selling for double what they originally sold for. They are very accurate. I have friends doing head shots at 100 yards with them.

I have an old Model 37 in 410. I use it for squirrel in places i am not allowed to use a 22.
    V

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links