Single Barrel Shotguns - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Single Barrel Shotguns

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    American singles started down the drain when they started with die cast recievers, plastic parts and hardwood stocks. Use of starred pins and basic crude trigger mechanism. If I rember right the last of these guns were H&R and sold for $80-$100. At this time most used singles were $40-$50, except 37 Win that had some collector following.

I'm not sure but I think the barrels were made of cheaper steel too. I've cut off several that had bulged barrels from barrel obstructions which would have bulged any barrel. The barrels were softer than older guns and the bore in relation to center was visable by eye. I have hammers in the junk box that Spurs broke off just from cocking on new guns. They got to the point they couldn't be made any cheaper at a profit and cheap pump guns took over.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    My old 94C, 16 full, will be with me for a long time to come, I hope. as well as the same vintage 311 16.
    jgriffin1988, tcfeet and tranteruk like this.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

A Ghost Ring brings everything into perspective.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I think the 94 Stevens and 220 Savage were the best of the single barrels. Mechanically and shooting there was little difference. I always like the rifle type stock vs the drop stocks on H&R and IJs. The Win 37 is a good gun but it's over rated just because it's Win.
    I've got a 94 that my Dad gave me in 1956 that looks new. I've always wanted to find another barrel for mine to cut and fit with sights for slugs.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    For a few years, I owned a Holland & Holland single barrel trap gun made for the US market. It was a wonderful gun built on a boxlock type action. The one thing I didn't like about it was that it had no safety. It was made exclusively for use on the trap range. I had a discussion with H&H about having the barrel cut off and replaced with a monoblocked Paradox barrel. They were receptive to the idea but I decided to scuttle the plan because of the safety issue. Instead, ordered a new, bespoke, H&H back-action sidelock Paradox. I do not regret the decision one bit.

I am a great fan of the Paradox guns. I have owned more than a few. I currently only own two. One is the above mentioned gun. The other is an 1887 hammer Paradox. It was originally a black powder gun but it was reproofed for nitro and I sent it back to the H&H factory for re-regulation to the current factory ammo.

Still, I have always believed a single barrel Paradox gun would be a wonderful thing to have. So, I purchased a second hand Zephyr Vandalia single barrel trap gun with the idea of having it converted. It has a 32 inch, thick walled, barrel and an extra tight choke. The rib is ventilated and soldered to the barrel but the last 3.5" of the rib are not ventilated, that last long portion is solid. I planned on cutting the barrel to 29". That would still leave an inch of solid rib at the end of the barrel. I imagined getting the choke cut with ratchet rifling and opening the bore to .7355"-.7360", making it suitable for H&H Paradox ammo and bullets cast from traditional Paradox bullet molds. If the bore was gently tapered into the choke the whole barrel would approximate that of a standard Paradox gun. The barrel is more than amply thick for this.

The Vandalia is a true sidelock. The lock work is on one side and a decorative plate is on the other side. It has a very "British" sliding safety on top of the grip. The forearm is wide and flat, and the stock shape a bit of a Euro/American mix. But it is better to have too much wood than too little. I found a gunsmith who can reshape both forearm and buttstock into a very British configuration. It all seemed like a very good project. The killer was that I can find nobody who can cut a Paradox type ratchet rifling.

I mention the gun now because you mentioned you used to be in the gun trade. The guns are not uncommon and they usually sell on the cheap. There is no reason one of these guns couldn't be cut down to a 29" barrel without removing the rib. Then the muzzle could be modified for screw-in choke tubes. Any stocker could lighten and reshape the stock into a British shape. The guns are chambered and proofed for 3" magnum shotshells. The end result would be a relatively low cost, sidelock, single barrel, game gun.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with these guns just as they are, especially if you are looking for a very robust, full choke gun for high volume shooting.

20191211_101554.jpg

20191211_101617.jpg

20191211_101717.jpg

20191211_102222.jpg
    What a lovely single barrel shotgun. I do prefer the stock (or montecarlo cheekpiece) to be parellel to the rib. It would be a shame to cut this up I think.
    Maineiac likes this.
    If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

Deadeye
    Member #
    I got a single shot H&R 16 ga in the safe. It was my step grandfather’s gun. I took it squirrel hunting a few times and would like to see how it shoots slugs. There is a rear sight notched in the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tranteruk likes this.
    Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum (pre-Remlin)
    Team 1894 Member #238
    Member Group Bangin' Blackhawk's
    Team Wheelguns #94

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links