• 4 Post By settingsun1892
  • 1 Post By Pereira
  • 2 Post By Desparodo
  • 3 Post By redhawk0

Thread: There's used, then there's abused and then neglected

Gun Wizard
    Member #

There's used, then there's abused and then neglected

I bought this 1977 Remington 1100 LW 410 for a reasonable price knowing that I would have it reblued and refinish the wood. I'm not complaining about what I found when I broke it down but c'mon man. I've bought some Marlins that needed a TLC to bring'em back to nice looking good working levers but this shotgun takes the cake. I'm surprised that it shoots and frankly had I known before firing it that it had this much trash in it I probably wouldn't have. Inside of the barrel didn't look all that bad but as you can see by the patch in the pic it was dirty. I'm thinking whoever had it used it and never serviced it other than maybe running a patch down the barrel. Oh well, it'll be money well spent and I'll have a nice 410 shotgun when done.
    IMG_3295.JPGIMG_3294.JPGIMG_3296.JPG

My heroes’ have always been cowboy’s

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Years ago, I won a new Remington 1100 in a raffle and sold it to a coworker. A year later I was at his house and saw the gun, with the last six inches of barrel crusted outside with dried mud (and the bore probably plugged with mud). It had been borrowed by his son and returned and just stood in the corner. Almost made me sick. Some people treat a fine gun like a shovel or rake.
    Desparodo, marlinluvr and Pereira like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Looks like someone sprayed a bunch of oil into the action.
    Desparodo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That's the CLR I have sprayed on it for now. I will do a detail cleaning when I get time.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    That's nothing...I wish I'd have taken pictures of my grandfather's Ithaca 37 that he bought back in 1953. I pulled leaves, bark, and greasy carbonized crapola out of the action just last year. I'm convinced that he nor my father ever cleaned it. It took me 90 minutes to clean it up and that includes being soaked in Ed's Red.

It looks like you have a nice little 410 there. Just needs a little TLC...I'm sure you'll give it what it needs.

redhawk
    turbobug and Desparodo like this.
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Be Alert....we need more lerts.
    Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Sidewinder
    Member #
    In 1979 I was helping my best friend's dad gather deer dogs. We parked got out of the truck and I asked if he was going to carry a gun. He starts digging in the bed of the truck, which had soy beans a foot deep. After 90 seconds he feels it and pulls out a Winchester 30-30. He then gets a clothes hanger from behind the seat, untwist it, open the chamber and runs the hanger thru the barrel pushing out a dozen beans. His son has an Ithaca 37 that is so rusty that you need a tetanus shot to handle it.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Wow, a 1100 410, that will be a fun little gun.
    Had a 12 long ago, picked up a pretty decent 20ga. last year.

RP
    Desparodo likes this.

Monty Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It got worse today when I got the bolt out. I did get it cleaned up and back together. It shoots fine but needs some make up to hang around here with the Marlins. It'll be going off for some cosmetic surgery soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maineiac and marlinluvr like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Yup...that's a nasty bolt. Reminds me of the Ithaca. It feels good to bring them back from having one foot in the grave. I have my Grandfather's double barrel Springfield coming to me in a few weeks...I almost hate to start opening that one up....its dated somewhere around 1911/12. That's an extra 40 years of grime pack to deal with from his Ithaca.

Make sure you post some after pics...I'm interested to see how that pig looks with make-up on.

redhawk
    marlinluvr, Maineiac and Desparodo like this.
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Be Alert....we need more lerts.
    Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links