.410 Shell Rim Diameter?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HiDesertHunter
  • 1 Post By HiDesertHunter

Thread: .410 Shell Rim Diameter?

Banned
    Member #

.410 Shell Rim Diameter?

Recently I gave an old Stevens mod 58A .410 a 'face lift' and when function checking it I discover the ejector was not working.
    Well I took the bolt out and examined the face and both the extractor and ejector were sharp and clear with no evidence of wear so I took a .410 shell and set it in the bolt face and the rim of the shell does not fit in the bolt fact by several thou and can be pulled straight out with almost no contact with either extractor or ejector.

Its been a LONG time since I have shot this and I cannot remember if it was properly ejecting shells at that time as well.

Is .410 ammo possibly not very consistent with rim diameter and maybe older ammo had a slightly larger rim?
    IMG_1688.JPG
    Last edited by HiDesertHunter; 10-12-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Just a thought--is the new ammo checking labeled "handgun"? I don't know for sure, but it could be that "handgun" 410 has a slightly smaller rim for clearance? With the proliferation of 45/410 revolvers, as well as the Bond arms derringers, this may be a possibility. Might be worth checking out.

Nice looking shotgun. I have a Model 59A (if I remember correctly)--like yours, only tube fed.

Banned
    Member #
    Just a thought--is the new ammo checking labeled "handgun"
    I don't know but I doubt it as the ammo is pretty old as well.

Unfortunately a stupid mistake yesterday has changed the direction of this project!

I almost hate to admit this but it goes to show no one is immune!
    I took it out yesterday to put a few rounds through it after the cleaning and reassembly.
    Well it shot but because the extractor was not working a shell got stuck in the chamber. I came home and ran a rod down the barrel to pop it out and decided to disassemble the bolt to clean it.
    Well, while re-positioning the bolt in my vise I drop it and it hits the floor and breaks off the left extractor! OK - I find I can get one so I continue on and while tapping a pin out I hear a metallic sound and discover the 'safety pawl' on the bolt broke from nothing more than the vibration from tapping the pin out!
    Well, long story short - I have wasted too much time on it and have listed it for sale on Ebay as parts only and mentioned when it sells I will have to cut the receiver in half to make it legal to ship.
    Sometimes ya have to cut your losses!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Member #
    I have a Model 59A (if I remember correctly)--like yours, only tube fed.
    yep -the 59A was an upgraded post War made model up to 1973.

I did learn however the mod 58A was a short run SG made from 1937 to 1945 and was not particularly high quality due to war production at the time.
    It is evident by the poor metal work and fitment of the internal parts.
    There is a little sentiment as it was my dads shotgun but no particular connection to me - heck I don't even remember shooting this gun as kid - as I did with many others so no big deal. Someone can get the use out of the rest of it as parts.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links