Maximum effective range for turkey? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Maximum effective range for turkey?

Deadeye
    Member #
    Shoot twice.
    Gareth Holland likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Hey Chris - even though you may have the pattern density at 100 yards, even with #4 shot I would question whether they'd have enough "oomph" at that range to penetrate properly. My longest shot on a gobbler has been about 40 yards, and most were closer than that.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I shoot a Benelli SBE3 with Carlsons Longbeard Choke and Winchester 3" Longbeard XR #5. I limit myself to 50 yds.
    Gareth Holland and turbobug like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If the turkey is farther than 30-35 yds become a better hunter. I dont like turkey so they are safe around me.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    It's more a matter of pattern density than pellet energy at ranges beyond 40 yards. That's one reason that 7 and 9 shot can be effective.

If youre going to use "turkey ammo" , say a mix of # 4, or 2, and BB, there are a lot of larger than turkey head sized gaps in the patterns beyond 50 yards. If you, by chance, hit the head, you'll collect him, but the odds aren't in your favor.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Since the day of muzzle loader it seems hunters didn't need special stuff to bag a turkey. All this stuff came out when Turkey Hunting was latched onto as a sales gimmick, like Buck Master and Bass Master and all the other spin offs. If you can't take a good FUll Choke shotgun in the woods and bag a turkey, something is wrong. People are trying to shoot to far depending on spacial chokes and such. I only hunt here in Ohio to please a few good friends because I don't like to hunt turkey with a shotgun. I have seen guys use Varmit guns on turkey and make 200yd shots. To me that's not turkey hunting either. All that stuff is Turkey shooting not turkey hunting.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Hunt turkeys these days with 3 inch #2 shot, originally all I had was 2 3/4 #2s, and later stayed with it because it always worked. Will want to pattern the shotgun, because not all pattern that size well. Anyway if they hang up some distance out, the #2 will penetrate the body well.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Wrangler
    Member #
    how about 134 hits in a 5" circle with 28-32 hits on the head-neck area at a honest 40 yards with tss-7,s and a .640 choke in a 12ga 3" encore turkey shotgun. the weight of tss shot is 18 g/cc for lead it,s 13 g/cc.

Deadeye
    Member #
    If you are getting 10 or more # 4 shot into a turkeys head or neck at 60 yards you are going to carry a tom home. I use #7 heavyshot in one barrel and have killed to 45 yards by a mis judged shot I hunt with a over/under with a imp/mod choke and heavyshot choke in the other barrel. But the long beards are a great load.
    I also remember reading a book by Ray Eye where he was being razed by some friends when he was younger about how many more pellets there guns would put in a can at long range. He said he threw a can out and shredded it on the ground and said at the ranges he shot birds this gun shoots fine! Remember the idea is to call them in close and plenty of guys do fine with 7 1/2 shot to 35 yards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links