• 1 Post By 256WinMag
  • 2 Post By cajun56
  • 1 Post By rapidroy
  • 1 Post By mywrangler94

Thread: Needing some info

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Needing some info

I hope someone can help me on this (not that it's life and death, but....). So I picked up an apparently very old Model 55 in 12 gauge from a friend. If I'm smart enough I will attach a couple pics. It's in pretty darn good shape for a real old weapon.

Bolt action (of course), 12 gauge, 2-3/4" (so it's GOT to be pretty old). If I'm smart enough, the one pic shows the barrel length - never heard of a 27" barrel but no biggie. So - there is no indication of what the choke is (also not a biggie - I can figure that out). Here is the REAL question.

Short of taking it apart, I cannot find any serial number on the shotgun anywhere that is readily visible. My curiosity wants to know how old this baby really is - does anyone know where I can find the serial number?

Thanks in advance!!!Model 55.JPGModel 55 barrel length.JPGModel 55 2.JPG
    256WinMag, cajun56 and Ret_Eng like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Is there any writing on the barrel? Perhaps it is a Marlin Goose Gun that had it's 36 inch barrel cut down.
    turbobug and 256WinMag like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    My goose gun has a Ser # on the left side of the receiver near the rear by the back of the bolt when closed.
    cajun56 likes this.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    It looks very well kept for it's age! The only bolt action Marlin shotgun my local pawnshop had was nothing but rust! Still wanted over $100 for it!

ca'jun56
    256WinMag and rapidroy like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Well as it turns out (did a bit of research after this post), it is a 28" barrel, full choke - out of the factory. It's a JM-stamped barrel. Some were 36"; some were 28". I still don't know where in the world the serial number might be - oh well.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Thanks - this one has nothing. No biggie - was just curious. Even in perfect condition it's only worth a couple hundred bucks. I will likely give it to my son

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Yeah it is in good shape for sure - even has the bullseye still - and it's a JM-stamped barrel. My son hunts geese (I do not like the taste of geese) and I will probably give it to him so he can in turn give it to his son. So it goes......
    Travlin likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Hiya guys,
    If you cant find a serial number anywhere on the gun then it probably hasn't one. I have few like that. Don't quote me, but before '68, or '64 it wasn't mandatory. So i was told. And yes, because I live in NY, the "phone call" was made, because there was no serial number. And yes again, the powers that be on the other end of that phone call, said.....yep, its ok, because it was manufactured before the mandatory serial number rule......
    Travlin likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Thanks for that info, mywrangler94! The guy I got it from said it's so old it didn't have a serial number and that sorta struck me funny - I have some pretty old weapons that have serial numbers. Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it then - and I appreciate the feedback! If it's OK in New York, I'm sure it's OK in Louisiana and TX where I do my stuff.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links