a poor man's double
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: a poor man's double

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

a poor man's double

have been thinking half way seriously over the last few months about buying something like a Stoeger coach gun. They come with screw-in chokes, which I could swap out to a pair of IC or cylinder bores and lob some Brennekes. Certainly nowhere near a 470 Nitro Express, 12 ga Brennekes weigh in at over an ounce, and in the neighborhood of 1500 fps.

There is the regulation issue, but that's half the fun of the game. Also, finding components...I'd be looking for brass, not plastic, shotshells.

My buddy has got family in Indiana, so shotgun only. I figured I already have nice rifles, no point in spending a boatload of money on a shotgun.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Contributing Member
    Member #
    sgt_zim, Travlin and Zgun like this.
    Old men with Garands do not panic.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have often thought of buying one of their sxs shotguns, but haven't yet figured out what I'd do with it once the new wore off. Never considered using it as a slug gun for deer......... but I am now.
    Team 444 Marlin - 1970 Centennial
    Team 22 Magnum - # 42 Marlin 57M
    Team Browning - # 5 1992 Browning BLR .308
    Team 30-30 - # 897 1989 Marlin 30TK
    Team 35 - #501 1978 336
    Team 1894 - # 318 1979 Marlin .357 Carbine

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Back in the 1970's there was an article in one of the Gun Digest books about this very thing. Of course this was long before screw-in chokes were common. As I recall, it had to do mostly with "swaging" the ends of the barrels to provide some bit of regulation. I don't believe that it worked very well for the author.

The screw-in choke idea sounds like a great idea.

Since it's shotgun only, a suggestion of the Baikal 221 double rifle in 45-70 is a non-starter.
    sgt_zim and deerhog like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    My friend hunts with a Stoeger SxS in 28 gauge. he has had the Stoeger for at least 15 years and has a extra set of 20 gauge barrels that goes on it. A dove is in mortal danger if it flys by my friend. If I had never seen a 28 gauge in action I would not believe how good they shoot, He kills doves as far away as I can kill them with a twenty gauge.
    sgt_zim likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt_zim View Post
    have been thinking half way seriously over the last few months about buying something like a Stoeger coach gun. They come with screw-in chokes, which I could swap out to a pair of IC or cylinder bores and lob some Brennekes. Certainly nowhere near a 470 Nitro Express, 12 ga Brennekes weigh in at over an ounce, and in the neighborhood of 1500 fps.

There is the regulation issue, but that's half the fun of the game. Also, finding components...I'd be looking for brass, not plastic, shotshells.

My buddy has got family in Indiana, so shotgun only. I figured I already have nice rifles, no point in spending a boatload of money on a shotgun.

Why go backwards in history, unless you just want to.
    The pump is the way to go for anything serious you would want to do with a shotgun.
    My short barreled 870 is as light as a feather.
    I have four pumps and one single-shot I use in my paranoid visions as a drone killer.
    edcknives likes this.
    Proud Old Phart Member #358
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

Wrangler
    Member #
    Because it’s every kids dream to go on safari with a double rifle. I used to hunt chipmunks with a 410 side by side. I just pretended they were lions.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I own the Stoeger Coach Supreme for cowboy shooting, a 20" Remington 870 and extended magazine for bad guys and bears.
    I'd like a Remington V3 for trap, because the 870 kicks the snot out of my shoulder with slugs or heavy loads.
    sgt_zim likes this.
    Life NRA Member; Annual GOA Member, SASS #108882
    "When I'm dead, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them."
    Marlin 1894CB, Ruger SASS and Bisley Vaqueros, Stoeger coach gun

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    For open cylinder bore shotguns, home-made "cut shells" are great fun to shoot at 20-40 yards. Accuracy is typically quite amazing. Look at cut shell videos on YouTube for a better understanding of this term.

TR
    sgt_zim likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Nothing wrong with a Stoeger. Many buy the Coach Gun for Cowboy action. I have an Uplander 20ga Side by side for hunting. Have not had any problems with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links