a poor man's double - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: a poor man's double

Deadeye
    Member #
    I bought a Fox model B 12 ga when I was 18 and the barrels were out of regulation real bad. I returned it and Savage rebarreled it. It would then shoot both barrels on a 1 pound coffee can at 50 yards with slugs right over the double beads. Wish I'd of kept it!
    Grenadier likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    If your using slugs in a Stoeger double your going to be very disappointed in accuracy. Don't ask how I know.
    Not responsible for what people think, just what I am.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinCT View Post
    I bought a Fox model B 12 ga when I was 18 and the barrels were out of regulation real bad. I returned it and Savage rebarreled it. It would then shoot both barrels on a 1 pound coffee can at 50 yards with slugs right over the double beads. Wish I'd of kept it!
    Oh, my. That was a keeper for sure. Welcome to the "wish I'd kept it" club. I bet nearly every one here is already a member!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_In View Post
    That might be fun if there was not a better solution.
    The brass shotgun cases will have a larger ID then the plastic hulls due to thinner walls. I am not sure what pressures they will tolerate but I do not imagine it is much more then a regular shotgun.
    Lyman used to make both a sabot and a Foster mold. That would be a place to start.
    I think https://www.ballisticproducts.com/default.asp has about the most components out there.
    I used to load the brass 12ga shells from MagTech with .735" diameter lead Paradox bullets for use in a 1912 H&H Paradox gun. I manually created star crimps over the bullets similar to the old factory ammo.

These are factory brass cartridges but I loaded my own similar to the Paradox cartridge on the left. The cartridge on the right is loaded with #6 shot and uses an over-shot card.

brass ctgs.jpg

If you use 12 gauge brass hulls you must use 11 gauge wads and 11 gauge cards because the brass hull is thinner than paper and plastic hulls.

The brass shells shot just fine but they nearly always expanded against the chambers, stuck there, and failed to eject. It wasn't a lubrication issue. It was a characteristic of the Magtech brass hulls.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Poor man's double. Why not? I don't think the point is to use a 45-70 double or a bolt action anything, but any off the shelf sxs shotgun. Or maybe o/u. While I don't think the slugs will quite equal a 45-70 due to the sectional density and penetration you can get, I like the idea. I believe I read the article some years back.

I'd start with a good solid rifled slug, not a hollow base, or a diabolo. You will probably want to play with velocities and wads until you find something that "regulates" the closest.

I think the Baikal coach guns are a better gun than the Stoeger, and the Huglu shotguns are supposed to be pretty decent. The old Rossi were good, and to cut something down I'd probably look a Fox Savage (Stephens?) if you don't want/need hammers.
    Profanity is a poor substitute for education and applied logic.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    my coach gun loves tru ball federal slugs. and fed buck shot tru flite wads the left barrel shots the slugs best. right shot. use IC tube.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I have made 3 slug guns out of SXS shotguns. Two 12s and a 20g. All three were Hammerless. One was for myself and the first. I gave it the full meal deal. Cut off to 22", plugged the void with silver soldier. Ramp and bead fron sight and and adj rear. Sling swiveled and stock refinish. It was a neat looking package. Didn't shoot slugs worth a darn as far as to the sights. Same results with the other two I built. They didn't shoot any better than a common double, which they were made out of. Up close they will point shoot well enough to put a slug in a deer. The only way you could get around this is to have separate sights on each barrel. In my experience just about any factory smooth bore slug gun will shoot into 6" at 100yds. With sights that applies to most smooth bores with exception of full choke guns. Any shotgun that I cut off and put sights or scope on was capable of 6" groups. A good slug gun will shoot into 3" at 100yds. Because SXSs are not regulated like double rifles they are suppose to intersect at 45yds. This is text book and only if both barrels are on the same plane. You will find that most aren't. In fact I have yet to see one that is. For shot this makes no difference because it will do the job in range practical. A SxS slug gun sounds neat but is going to be hard to come by. So when somebody says their SxS shots slugs good, I'm a bit skeptical. I guess that depends on what good means.
    Grenadier likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links