1950 Savage 99EG - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: 1950 Savage 99EG



  1. #21
    Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    12,606
    Member #
    4146
    Thanked
    8432 times
    Shot the 99 today. Loaded up a box of starting loads to fireform my brass. 150gr. Speer under 37.5gr of IMR4895. Rifle shoots pretty well, and the old weaver works. Best group was around 1.5" with most hovering around 2.25. I'm fairly certain with some load development and playing with seating depth I can tighten it up to a consistent 1.5". Twist rate dictates that this rifle should shoot well with 150's but I have some 180's I can try as well.

    I cleaned the bore last night with some CR10, and I also took the scope off to clean the mounting screw holes and re-apply loctite. The drill and tap job was pretty poor. The screw holes have some raised edges around them. If I decide to ditch the scope I'm going to have to figure out how to deburr those holes without hurting the finish any further. I'm not opposed to giving it a coat of rust blue and steaming it to darken up areas that have some buggered up blueing.

  2. #22
    "Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Simsboro, Texas
    Posts
    23,078
    Member #
    37118
    Thanked
    215039 times
    welcome to the 99 club man.
    that's a nice one.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan





  3. #23
    Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    12,606
    Member #
    4146
    Thanked
    8432 times
    A little interesting development. Bought a Hornady 300 sav case gauge to check my freebore. Unfortunately, OAL with the bullet jammed into the lands is right at 2.800 with my speer 150gr. Hot-Cor's. Book OAL is 2.550 and that is about as long as I can go and still fit into the magazine. This leaves the bullets jumping about .250 before they make contact with the rifling. I'm not interested in single loading. We will see if I can get this thing to shoot a little tighter, but that is definitely not going to happen with OAL adjustments.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Wrangler
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NE Minn
    Posts
    283
    Member #
    59712
    Thanked
    1067 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis 186 View Post
    A little interesting development. Bought a Hornady 300 sav case gauge to check my freebore. Unfortunately, OAL with the bullet jammed into the lands is right at 2.800 with my speer 150gr. Hot-Cor's. Book OAL is 2.550 and that is about as long as I can go and still fit into the magazine. This leaves the bullets jumping about .250 before they make contact with the rifling. I'm not interested in single loading. We will see if I can get this thing to shoot a little tighter, but that is definitely not going to happen with OAL adjustments.
    With that OAL and a Speer 150 Hot-Cor, I figure you are shooting the speer #2011 flat point. My notes say the bullet is 0.92", so you could load to an OAL of 2.570 (if it will still cycle from the rotor), and the base of the bullet would be right at the bottom of the neck. NOTE: all 1899s and the 99s pre-900K serial number have a max OAL of 2.6"; it really depends on if the cartridge will cycle with a particular bullet/OAL combination. I've found with some bullets/OAL, they will cycle in, but a loaded cartridge would hang up on extraction and require hand manipulation (but that is not an issue with a fired round). I've loaded some bullets out to a 2.596" w/o issue.

    I have not loaded Speer's 150FP, but I have loaded the older Speer #2017 RN at a 2.550 OAL with 38.5 grains of H4895 and fired in a 99T 300 Savage and got just a bit under 1.5" 100yd groups; velocity just a bit over 2500fps (22" barrel).

    The best 300 Savage groups I've had was with a 1946 99EG with Horandy's #30303 150SST that was specifically designed for the 300 Savage. I used Win 748; had some sub-1" groups.
    Last edited by KeithNyst; 12-15-2019 at 01:36 PM.

  6. #25
    Gun Wizard
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,064
    Member #
    29378
    Thanked
    6673 times
    Just a suggestion--Buy brass whenever you find it. I've been on the look out for 300 Savage brass since I bought mine last spring, and have yet to find any. Local gun shops/big box stored (Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse) don't have any, Midway, Mid-South, and Graf and Sons don't have any, either. I went to a local gun show this weekend, and nobody there had any 300 Savage brass at all.

  7. #26
    Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    12,606
    Member #
    4146
    Thanked
    8432 times
    Quote Originally Posted by North Idaho Shooter View Post
    Just a suggestion--Buy brass whenever you find it. I've been on the look out for 300 Savage brass since I bought mine last spring, and have yet to find any. Local gun shops/big box stored (Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse) don't have any, Midway, Mid-South, and Graf and Sons don't have any, either. I went to a local gun show this weekend, and nobody there had any 300 Savage brass at all.
    Just bought a brand new box of Hornady 300 Savage brass. Not my first choice, but it will work.

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithNyst View Post
    With that OAL and a Speer 150 Hot-Cor, I figure you are shooting the speer #2011 flat point. My notes say the bullet is 0.92", so you could load to an OAL of 2.570 (if it will still cycle from the rotor), and the base of the bullet would be right at the bottom of the neck. NOTE: all 1899s and the 99s pre-900K serial number have a max OAL of 2.6"; it really depends on if the cartridge will cycle with a particular bullet/OAL combination. I've found with some bullets/OAL, they will cycle in, but a loaded cartridge would hang up on extraction and require hand manipulation (but that is not an issue with a fired round). I've loaded some bullets out to a 2.596" w/o issue.

    I have not loaded Speer's 150FP, but I have loaded the older Speer #2017 RN at a 2.550 OAL with 38.5 grains of H4895 and fired in a 99T 300 Savage and got just a bit under 1.5" 100yd groups; velocity just a bit over 2500fps (22" barrel).

    The best 300 Savage groups I've had was with a 1946 99EG with Horandy's #30303 150SST that was specifically designed for the 300 Savage. I used Win 748; had some sub-1" groups.
    That's the problem I'm running into. At book OAL of 2.550, I'm really close to maximum magazine length if not already there (visually), so there isn't a lot of room. There is also the issue of the short neck. The twist rate dictates that this rifle should shoot better with a 150gr. bullet, but I have some 180gr. Flatbase Sierras that I will try. Can't load them out longer but maybe the heavier longer bullet will handle the jump a little better.

  8. #27
    Wrangler
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NE Minn
    Posts
    283
    Member #
    59712
    Thanked
    1067 times
    Quote Originally Posted by North Idaho Shooter View Post
    Just a suggestion--Buy brass whenever you find it. I've been on the look out for 300 Savage brass since I bought mine last spring, and have yet to find any. Local gun shops/big box stored (Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse) don't have any, Midway, Mid-South, and Graf and Sons don't have any, either. I went to a local gun show this weekend, and nobody there had any 300 Savage brass at all.
    Brownell's has it in stock (hornady) on sale:https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...ampaign=Itwine

  9. #28
    Tenderfoot
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    16
    Member #
    144163
    Thanked
    14 times

  10. #29
    Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    8,996
    Member #
    17595
    Thanked
    24068 times
    The 1899/99’s are very classy and the EG’s in 300 Savage are the most common. Brass and ammo shouldn’t be that difficult to find. Congratulations !!
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

  11. #30
    Sidewinder
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    115
    Member #
    145097
    Thanked
    395 times
    [QUOTE=Texas Shooter;8061879]I like the old Weavers too and the post reticle is my favorite. For the old Savages, I always keep my eyes open for the Lyman Alaskan scopes (7/8" tube) and the Lyman All Americans.

    As for Savagitis, it wasn't that long ago that I didn't have any. Below is what I now have in terms of model 99s. I also have a fair number of early savage bolt actions. Ironically, I joined Marlin Owners to get away from my Savage addiction. The result is an even bigger pile of Marlins! Oh well, at least I'm not snorting my money up my nose.


    https://oi111.photobucket.com/albums...psxlhhxid2.jpg

    Now there is gun porn...……….red velvet and all. Good grief, what are trying to do to us old farts.


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •