NC Sherriff Suspends New Pistol Permits due to 250% Increase in Requests
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: NC Sherriff Suspends New Pistol Permits due to 250% Increase in Requests

Distinguished Master
    Formerly Crystal Coast of NC, Now in Sandhills of NC
    Member #

Thumbs down NC Sherriff Suspends New Pistol Permits due to 250% Increase in Requests

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo News
    Wake County, N.C. Sheriff Gerald Baker said Tuesday that he was suspending applications for pistols and concealed carry firearms until April 30 after seeing a “250 percent increase in demand” for permits since the coronavirus pandemic. Baker explained in a news release that the decision is to manage the backlog of 755 new permit applications, which averaged 290 per day last week – more than three times the roughly 90 applications per day during the same time period last year.

According to North Carolina state law, sheriff’s offices must inform pistol permit applicants whether their permit is granted within 14 days. But with the sharp increase, the office needs time to be able to handle the applications to comply with state law. “Our staff has been inundated with high volumes of permit applications that has made it impossible to process by law,” Baker said, adding that “this decision does not limit anyone’s right to purchase a handgun,” as those who already have permits are allowed to freely purchase.But two Republican North Carolina State Senators, Warren Daniel and Danny Britt, called Baker’s move an “illegal decision.”

“People are already suspicious and on edge,” they wrote in a joint statement. “It’s reckless to illegally suspend their Second Amendment rights just when they need assurance that they can trust government.”

Ummm - Senators...? Having to get a Permit IS a violation of our Second Amendment rights - maybe we should Institute 2A in times of crises and simply allow people to arm and carry Under Authority of Their Constitutionally Protected Rights!?!?

“Conservatives want to alter their lifestyles to meet reality. Leftists want to alter reality to meet their lifestyles” - Frank Turek, Cross Examine Radio Show
    Reading for Comprehension instead of Confrontation leads to much better Conversation - Tar_Heel 336
    If Bruce Jenner can keep his penis and still be considered a 'woman'; Then I should be able to keep my weapons and still be considered dis-armed!- anonymous

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I had no idea that you need a pistol permit in NC
    geez when did NC turn into a commie state

Wrangler
    Member #
    Not taking applications for new licenses should probably be the least of concerns during times when a quarantine, state of emergency or disaster has been declared by a local or federal government.

If you think not being able to get a license is bad you should look into what they can take away from you or do to you during a declared emergency.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    > Baker said Tuesday that he knew his decision would cause problems for
    > some Wake County residents, but the need to purchase a pistol in the
    > midst of a pandemic
    “is not an emergency situation.”

​Words fail me . . . . . .

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Same here in some counties (Broome) in Central NYS .
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shawlerbrook View Post
    Same here in some counties (Broome) in Central NYS .
    I believe they quit taking applications state wide at the same time they closed the DMV.
    miket156 likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldtrigger View Post
    I had no idea that you need a pistol permit in NC
    geez when did NC turn into a commie state
    It was like that when I moved to NC in 1990. I always thought it was a boondoggle. Some sheriffs would only issue one at a time, and some charged more than others.

It's not a permit to own a handgun, it's a permit to buy one. Have to have one for each one you buy from a dealer.
    Last edited by mikej; 03-25-2020 at 11:47 AM. Reason: additional info
    Tactical Lever likes this.
    NRA
    OGCA

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Not sure I'm understanding this? Sounds to me like a permit is needed to buy and another to carry? The article mentions that those who already have permits can freely purchase?

But according to MikeJ one is needed for every purchase? Doesn't sound like "freely" to me...

On the other hand watching people go nuts, is a maddening. I've had friends me that they don't "need" a pistol, and I always tell them, that nobody figures they "need" it until they do. And then you might not be able to get one. Or at least not quickly.
    336 Fan and ironhead7544 like this.
    Profanity is a poor substitute for education and applied logic.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    ".....just when they need assurance they can trust Government". What kind of empty-headed fool trusts Government? The nice folks that take our taxes and use it to restrict our God Given Rights? We pay them to persecute our lifestyle and they're our buddies?

Looking at it the other way, do they think we trust them? The delusional is heavy in this exchange.
    Last edited by rob42049; 03-25-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post
    ".....just when they need assurance they can trust Government". What kind of empty-headed fool trusts Government?
    Well, even if I can't trust them at least they got my back right?

https://mynorthwest.com/1785408/rant...k-coronavirus/

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz
    Examples of crimes that won’t be booked include shoplifting, property damage under $750, animal abuse, discharging a firearm, prohibited carry of a weapon, obstructing a law enforcement officer, trespassing, and vehicle prowling.
    rob42049, marlinluvr and kybeagle like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links