Nikonís exit from the riflescope market
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Nikonís exit from the riflescope market

Wrangler
    Member #

Nikonís exit from the riflescope market

I visited a Bass Pro / Cabela’s Saturday 2/8/20 to pick up a few reloading supplies. While there, I took the opportunity to look a a few riflescopes, since there are so many available to check-out in one location. The store has the scopes grouped by manufacturer and there was still a Nikon section even though it’s been known for a while that Nikon is getting out of the scope business.

The store employee assisting me was quick to tell me Nikon was leaving the scope business and I responded that I had heard, but I had also heard they were not going out of business, just re-focusing their business.

The store employee said that was correct, that their Nikon representative told him Nikon was going to keep making optical products, just nothing that was related to or associated with guns.

I had not heard that, so thought I would share here. I will assist Nikon in their desire not to have any of their products related to or associated with guns, but I won’t be getting rid of my guns to engage in that assistance. My only other choice is to separate my Nikon products from me, since I am a gun owner.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I always associated them with camera's and photography equipment more than rifle scopes anyway.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I hate hearing that. I really like nikons rimfire scopes. But if there feeling that ways towards guns, that’s their prerogative. An mine is to buy from another maker.
    However complicated the issues become... it comes down to one simple question. Which is more important to you Life or Liberty? I've made my decision long ago.

"Is life so sweet or peace so dear; as to be paid for at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death." Patrick Henry

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    They caved to pressure from the bird watchers and bunny huggers! SCROOOM! My money won't ever go to buyin' any of their future products!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.Ē
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Nikon = nike= dicks...
    What this country needs is a department of common sense! The tree of liberty would be a great place for hang mans ropes!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5
    Team 60 # 511

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    No more Nikon products for me. I really liked their scopes and their other products. Guess I don't need anything from them now though.
    gunscrewguy and drinva like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    You're gonna take the word of a store employee that it was because they didn't want to be associated with guns?
    I doubt that, It was prob because the market is flooded with scope manufacturers now and the profit just wasn't there anymore.
    Vooch, Judson, Yooper and 9 others like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffletop View Post
    You're gonna take the word of a store employee that it was because they didn't want to be associated with guns?
    I doubt that, It was prob because the market is flooded with scope manufacturers now and the profit just wasn't there anymore.
    From what I've read, Nikon felt it wasn't being competitive in the rifle scope area, but they will continue to manufacture spotting scopes, range finders, and binoculars. While spotting scopes and range finders are not as closely associated with firearms as gun scopes, they're still "fairly close", so to speak.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Unless I hear something directly from Nikon that their decision was made because of a stance against guns, I will presume that they made their decision purely for business reasons.

Nikon is not obligated to stay in a market where they are not competitive against the likes of Leupold, Nightforce, Burris, Simmons, Vortex, Redfield, Valdada, Weaver, and Zeiss. And many others...
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    ďIf liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.Ē -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...cope-business/

"Lastly, he stated that the plain and simple reason for Nikon leaving the riflescope business is purely a financial one. Sales data is reflecting a net negative for the company in the riflescope market but very positive indications for their other sport optics such as spotting scopes and binoculars."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links