Why We Won't Compromise - The Cake Story
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Why We Won't Compromise - The Cake Story

Contributing Member
    Member #

Exclamation Why We Won't Compromise - The Cake Story

Maybe I'm the last one to know this story. My shooting buddy, Dan, couldn't believe I had never seen it. But, it's the perfect explanation to use when someone asks "Why won't you gun people at least compromise a little?"

When we originally posted this article, I said I didn’t know who had written it. Now I do. Credit goes to the Law Dog Files. My apology to The Law Dog Files for not knowing, and my thanks for their contribution. You can see more at The Law Dog Files.

The Cake

Let's say I have this cake. It is a very nice cake, with "GUN RIGHTS" written across the top in lovely floral icing. I received it from the 2nd amendment.

Along you come and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise. Give me half." I respond by asking what I get out of this compromise, and you reply that I get to keep half of my cake.

Okay, we compromise. Let us call this compromise The National Firearms Act of 1934.

There I am with my half of the cake, and you walk back up and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise." What do I get out of this compromise? Why, I get to keep half of what's left of the cake I already own?

So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Gun Control Act of 1968 -- and I'm left holding what is now just a quarter of my cake.
    And I'm sitting in the corner with my quarter piece of cake, and here you come again. You want my cake. Again.

You say, "Let's compromise once more." What do I get out of this compromise? I get to keep one-eighth of what's left of the cake I already own?

So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Machine gun ban of 1986 -- and I'm left holding what is now just an eighth of my cake.
    I sit back in the corner with just my eighth of cake that I once owned outright and completely, I glance up and here you come once more.

You say nothing and just grab my cake; This time you take several bites -- we'll call this compromise the Clinton Executive Orders -- and I'm left with about a tenth of what has always been MY CAKE and you've got nine-tenths of it.

Then we compromised with the Lautenberg Act (nibble, nibble), the HUD/Smith and Wesson agreement (nibble, nibble), the Brady Law (NOM NOM NOM), the School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act (sweet tap-dancing Freyja, my finger!)

I'm left holding crumbs of what was once a large and satisfying cake, and you're standing there with most of MY CAKE, making anime eyes and whining about being "reasonable", and wondering "why we won't compromise". - Tom Gresham

https://guntalk.com/news/politics/wh...XjqWUuX0XNIFZg
    ere, DrMike, 4T57T and 18 others like this.
    There's only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up and if you don't actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long time. - Ronald Reagan

NRA: Patron Member; USAF: 1967-71 E-5

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I ain't givin' up anymore of MY cake. And hope to get back the other 9/10th of it.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

In Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand , To Live And Die in Dixie

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

We are long past compromise. Beto O'Marxist finally gave the Marxists away. That woman that confronted him told him where the shove his gun confiscation BS.

After his Lame showing in Texas, he won't get elected Dog Catcher. Hilary Clinton already has that job!

Mike T.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Compromise? Oh that's a word the anti-gun liberals like to use to trick gun owners into giving up their guns.
    So right now, they're going after the AR's & Ak's because they like to use the excuse that "it's for the children/ our safety."
    Don't be fooled, that's just the beginning. Once they get a foot-hold on banning AR's/ Ak's there will be more to come. They will come for the rest of our guns, even your grandpa's SxS shotgun.
    Candidate Buttigieg has already made it clear.. If elected, he will try to ban ALL guns.

Even if you don't own an AR/ AK or have any use for it. Banning it will mean the demise of other semi-auto hunting rifles that uses magazines.

In some incidents, some have called a scoped bolt action hunting rifles a sniper rifle.
    Don't kid yourself, they will make stuff up to scare the public and to get the politicians to do something.

Imo.. liberals have long been strategizing on how to take our guns. Look at the recent Red Flag law in Fla... as of Sept 2019, there has been 2000 Florida residents that has had their guns confiscated because of the Red flag.

There's an old saying... "Give an inch and they'll take a YARD."

There is no such thing as "compromise" with the anti-gun libs. that's just a smoke screen. They want it all. They won't stop until they take it all ( from law abiding citizens.)
    Last edited by maki00; 09-24-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    the Dems keep using the mandatory word in all their political ambitions

mandatory medicare for all
    mandatory gun buy back
    mandatory living in segregated neighborhoods
    mandatory universal background checks
    mandatory green new deal

it never ends and certainly sounds more like imposing slavery to me. Are we still free? the dems don't seem to want us living that way if everything is mandatory!
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Wrangler
    Member #
    Anybody who thinks they are going to get back their entire cake is sadly naive.

I say this with no intention of picking a fight.
    65 million voters in 2016 want all of your cake.

• 43 GOP seats lost in the House
    • TX nearly elects a Communist Senator
    • FL and GA nearly elect Communist governors
    • AZ elects a Communist Senator
    • NY elects a Communist Box of Rocks™
    • MI elects a potty mouth Muslim Palestinian sympathizer
    • MN elects a Muslim woman-beater
    • MN elects a Muslim incest partner
    • 49 Muslims elected nation wide

I don't know where the 120 million gun owners were in 2016, but they sure as hell were not in the voting booth.

IMO, the very best we can hope for is a background check and no firearm registry database.
    In our hearts, we already know the DROS is a registry database.
    It doesn't take much effort to tie the two together for a confiscation database.

When push comes to shove, we will either have civil war, or gun owners will fold.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."
    --Ben Franklin, 1776, Signing the Declaration of Independence
    montezumaz, miket156 and USN-RET like this.
    Life NRA Member; Annual GOA Member, SASS #108882
    "When I'm dead, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them."
    Marlin 1894CB, Ruger SASS and Bisley Vaqueros, Stoeger coach gun

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Elect Beto the "Official Honey Dipper" for life. The only job he's qualified for. The other demoRATs can assist him.

John...
    1881 45/70 1885
    1893 38-55 1898

NRA Life Member
    NAF Mountaineer

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

I don't know that anti gun people will ever change their opinion. Their opinions are not based on fact, their opinions are based on emotion, that's all the Marxists have to appeal to naive young people that blindly follow them.

However, as was the case of the Connecticut regulation that semi auto "assault rifles" had to be registered with the state, 85 percent of gun owners ignored registering their guns. It is unfortunate that the divide in this country is so great, but the absolute corruption of one party that is hell bent on confiscation will not be taken seriously by law abiding citizens. We will not be disarmed, period.

The Marxists want to eliminate the Electoral College, ICE AND the Constitution. Their goal is a Marxist government take over of George Washington's America. The Millennial blindly follow and that can only lead to further division and eventually..........you know the rest.

Mike T.
    Last edited by miket156; 09-24-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    "Political power comes from the barrel of a gun." Chairman Mao.

The communists, errr, democrats want to take gun away so that only they will have them. Reread Chairman Mao's comment.

"What good fortune for government that the people do not think."

Read that one again from none other one Adolph Hitler.

Paul B.
    COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMOROM PROMULGATED BY MORONS!
    WHAT GOOD FORTUNE FOR GOVERNMENT THAT THE PEOPLE DO NOT THINK!....Adolf Hitler
    Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
    MOLON LABE

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by miket156 View Post
    We are long past compromise. Beto O'Marxist finally gave the Marxists away. That woman that confronted him told him where the shove his gun confiscation BS.

After his Lame showing in Texas, he won't get elected Dog Catcher. Hilary Clinton already has that job!

Mike T.
    I have said it before I would not vote for him to pick up horse turds in a parade.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team 22 bolt action # 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links