Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Rarer than hens teeth !

4K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  JBan 
#1 ·
Man but either 39A's are really rare around here (Brisvagas - Australia) or the people that do own them dont ever get rid of them ! I have a 45-70 and a 336 30-30SS but REALLY want a 39a.... I have missed one or two by heartbeats and dont want to buy a new Remlin one, so I have to wait around for the shooter magazine to come or keep checking the online gun sales websites , but they come up so seldom and go so quickly when there is one !

I suppose I just gotta be quicker on the draw :) Still time before xmas I supose .... Sigh....

Leverlad ...

#3 ·
Thanx Trotter .... I may have to take you up on the offer :) If you do spot one around lemme know will ya ?

#4 ·
They are rare, but then they last and last and last. Try to find one like mine. :biggrin:

Attachments

#5 ·
Aw, Swany that's cruel to leverlad. Like waving your hand with a cold beer to a guy in the desert! :beerglass:

Reactions: lescarpentier
#6 ·
You really think it's cruel, nah that's not cruel, telling him I paid $20 for it in a tag sale is cruel.

#9 ·
I do wish I had a good camera when I bought that thing. Looked like it sat in a corner in a garage or barn never indoors. Just had that covering of dirt and rust. Innards clean and used. Both the front and rear sights were broken. Front ramp loose with stripped screws, front blade snapped off. Figure the former owner tried to replace a broken front sight and hammered the ramp too hard.
I just soaked the outer metal with Kroil for a day or two and then went at it with steel wool. Cleaned up good, gave it that used patina. Wood has BLO I bought as US military surplus also in a tag sale .50 a quart bought two.
So with that, I cut a dovetail up front, put a silver blade file in muzzleloader sight. Rear got a file in fixed rear muzzleloader. I filed them in to hit at point of aim 65 yards. Got to where I needed an upgrade and went with the Lyman 66 peep and a brass bead front.

It was a pistol grip with the perch belly forend. 1966 model year. I cut the triggerplate, straightened the lever. Narrowed the fore end, converted the rear to straight grip.

The reason was simple, I seen a picture of a 1953 Mountie with slim fore end, straight stock and 24 inch bbl.

Looking at it is shows the ramp on it, meaning any up to present could be cloned to look like this, just by cutting, wood rework, and bending the present parts. Nothing to buy, course that straight lever is available at Numrich, and yours could be reshaped by Muleloops in our Industry partners section.

Attachments

#10 ·
Well cruel Swanny ..... You deserve it if you put in so much hard work !! I have my eye on one but the person selling it wants $800 for it and its a 1960 (T serial number) 39A.... I think thats piracy at that price !! so I continue my search .... Xmas is drawing near and i really would like a long parcel under the tree that says ..."to dad .... from dad !"

#11 ·
Don't worry Lad, one will show up. And as for Swany, just remember,"the man who smiles at you is not necessarily your friend.:flute:

Mark.:biggrin:

Reactions: leverlad
#13 ·
Gun Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel
hey mate... not sure if its still available but 3/4 the way down the 'whats new' page at used guns there's a 39a used guns

Reactions: leverlad
#14 ·
Just a quick Update..... I have apparently put in the winning bid for the 1960 Golden 39A which i have been tracking for ages. Now I am just waiting to hear from the seller. He is a Lawyer selling on behalf of a deceased Family member and has been really hard to get hold of. He sent me a SMS to say that i had the best offer in and the cut off time was 2PM yesterday - but i still havent heard from him. I do hope he will be true to his word and isnt trying to scare up more bids .... I ended up paying $850 which i thought was a bit steep, but it does come with a 4 x Bushnell Banner and a sling...... and its the year of manufacture that i wanted too so hold thumbs for me ....

#15 ·
Hi Ngarigo .... Thats the one I am bidding on !! The seller said I had the best bid in at close of proceedings ... now I am just waiting to hear from him ! :-(

#16 ·
Leverlad, I'm happy for ya! I was all set to tell you to be patient and maybe quit looking so hard, things often fall in your lap when you give up and quit looking for them.

I had been on a quest for a 39A for a couple years, never saw anything worth buying at a price less than twice what I thought they were worth, I just gave up and quit looking, decided it wasn't in the cards for me to have a 39. A month later I stopped into a gunshop I rarely go to, happened to walk by the Used Gun rack, and there sat a 39A! It was in very nice shape, and I was ready to cry as I flipped the price tag over to see what they wanted for it. It was less than I expected, and it went home with me that day.

Oddly enough, I have six other 22 rifles, and I haven't shot ANY of them since I got that Marlin! Go figure.

Congrats again..............and we'll be expecting photos soon!

#17 ·
You won the auction? It sort of sounds Nigerian to me. :)

#18 ·
Hi JetBlack

Nah it was legit - it was a lawyer trying to settle an estate - he put the 39a in Usedguns asking for offers and i got into a bidding war with someone else who really wanted it - i eventually got it - but i still have feeling on my body where my arm and leg were that the lawyer took from me for it :-(
But at least now i have a long shaped present to me for under the xmas tree !!

#19 ·
So.... I did win the bidding war at slightly more than i was hoping - but the good news its its mine and the money is spent and the price has already faded in my memory. Now I am just waiting for the Weapons Licencing Dept to send out my Permit to Aquire .... Much to my disgust I am told it is unlikely that i will get it before mid January.... after i put in the application on 30th November ! Too many applications and not enough police to look at them in time ...Grrrr !

#21 ·
Did it come in yet? What's the news?

#22 ·
Hah, Not yet.... looks like It wont be a Xmas Present :( I have to wait for the police permit and they are on go-slow for xmas... Grrr ! I will post a pick when i have it tho!

#23 ·
It's a relief just to know it's in the process! The first time you cycle the action... Ahhhhh. :)

#28 ·
Hey Bluesplayer ... Yeah I got it and stripped it down and reconditioned it completely. Metalwork cerakoted, scoped, barrel threaded, wood stripped back and oiled with Tung Oil ... WIth the silencer on it looks great and when it off the thread protector makes it almost impossible to spot the threading! Its a brilliant little rifle now! :)

#25 ·
Wow way to dig up and old thread. This one has been dead since before X-mas 2011

Dom

#27 ·
I saw one at Cabela's in Glendale just last weekend. I don't recall the price.

#29 ·
Well, after that bit of splashy verbiage about what an awesome rifle it has become.......Pictures are now required! :bandit:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.