Scope advice needed

Member #

Scope advice needed

Hi Guys,

I have been enjoying finally using a 995 I have had for years, fun little guy.

So I want to put a little scope on it. I am not inclined to spend much money on this, so I thougth I would ask if anyone has a good suggestion when it comes to a low cost scope. As well as what configuration I should look for. Seems most .22 scopes are about 4x20, is this good enough for the occational squil/rabit hunt and ticking off cans and such?

Pete

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Scope advice needed

Nothing wrong with a 4x scope for what you're plans are, but I would suggest you go with a full size 1" tube, and rather than a 4x20, I'd suggest you get a 4x32mm or something along those lines.
    Inexpensive Tasco, Bushnell, or Simmons scopes of this type can be purchased for about $25-$35, and rings for the .22 dovetail are available at discount stores for about $5-6.
    Hope this helps
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Scope advice needed

I agree that you will much better off with a one inch tube.Ask around and find someone who has upgraded optics on a center fire and has a loose scope lying around.Hand-me-down centerfire scopes on 22s makes sense and saves dollars,and like MM93 said adapter rings are cheep.I'v got an old Weaver K-4 on my 989.
    mp

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Scope advice needed

My lifes philosophy on optics is to always buy the best you can afford and you wont be disappointed....But if you want a dirt cheap scope just to play with....I had decent results from a Tasco RF 4X20 WIDE ANGLE and it cost me $9 and change......A big step up is to find one of the promotional scopes from Tasco,,,Simmons or someone....These are usually 4x32 and sometimes 3-9x32....They are MUCH clearer and brighter than the 20mm scopes and they can be had for as little as $15.....

But please,,,,if you plan on shooting game or varmints then step up to one of the low cost BSA's.....They can be had for $30-$50.......Its by far worth the extra money to get clean humane kills.....Your conscience will thank you.....

One word of warning,,,,optics are just as addictive as guns so if you start seeking perfection in optics then save your money and go with Leupold from the start....I spent a fortune on lesser scopes before I discovered that Leupold is the best,,,,you get what you pay for from them....

Also,,,if you are interested,,,,I have 2 4x20 silver Tasco's and 2 Tasco RF 4X20 WIDE ANGLES that I would be willing to sell....Contact me at [email protected] if you're interested....

jskd82

Scope advice needed

I would say to go with something like a 4x32 also, or better yet a variable 3-9x32 you can get a tasco, simmons, or bushnell 22 mag scope for about 35 bucks and they come with the scope rings ready to mount on your .22 iv'e found that midwayusa.com has the best prices for them or maybe try gunbroker.com and maybe you can bid for one. In either case i'm sure you'll be way happier with a 4x32 rather than a 4x20.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links