Vintage scope
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Vintage scope

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Vintage scope

I'm planning on scoping a 1970's model 75c. I'm leaning towards a Weaver b or G6 but I'm curious about their performance. The gun is very accurate and I'm planning on plinki g mostly and maybe the occasional rabbit or squirrel. Do you guys have any other/better suggestions? Nothing newer and rimfire is a must. I have a Vortex 2x7 on a Ruger American Rimfire so I tried it on the Marlin and it just didn't look right to me. Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I like the Weaver Marksman... Nice little 4 power...

100_3706.JPG 100_3708.JPG
    Last edited by Scorpiusb; 09-25-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    toad67, DRSLYR, 256WinMag and 1 others like this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Try to check out your intended vintage scope before you buy it if possible.

The lower and mid priced scopes of the 60s and early 70s often used uncoated optics and small lenses, making them subject to glare, and lost a lot of transmitted light. Also the adjustment mechanisms were often coarse.

But if you're set on a period scope, go for it. There are some good ones out there, but they're not necessarily cheap. Check EB. Also do some research on which models to look for.

For moderns scopes, consider air rifle scopes. They're often a good value and usually have an adjustable objective for near focusing.
    pathfinder65, Waffletop and toad67 like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I would put a low end 4x -1" tube on it. No comparison for shooting purposes.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    A quick check is to look through the scope backwards. You can see a lot more of the problems by looking through the objective towards the eyepiece. Good luck. Vintage scopes on vintage rifles will work.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    i've been looking at rimfire scopes recently and thought i would get the leupold vs freedom 2-7x and the counter guy at lgs is pushing vortex diamondback. i might just try the diamondback if they get one in stock or might get one online.
    the glass and coatings made today is so far superior to what it was 20 years ago its not even funny.
    not that old scopes dont work just saying

Deadeye
    Member #
    I went through all this not long ago. I have a 1955 Mountie that I wanted a period correct scope. Bought three different Weaver scopes, all were cloudy and although you could see through them, they were not crisp or clear. I was looking for a good 3/4" scope. Finally went with a new Tasco 3/4" and put it on the barrel mounted scope rail also period correct. But it interfered with the hammer so I had to take it off. Bought a old Marlin scope rail for the receiver but I don't want to drill the receiver on her. So for now I will just keep using her with the Williams peep sight that is mounted on the receiver.
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    In my opinion, nothing looks better on an older lever gun than a vintage Leupold Gold Ring gloss scope. But that's just me.
    kraynky, toad67, Bigdog357 and 2 others like this.
    "Step by step they were led to things which dispose to vice, the lounge, the bath, the elegant banquet. All this in their ignorance they called civilization, when it was but a part of their servitude." ― Tacitus

Wrangler
    Member #
    Picked this one up for 15$ in the flea market at the tractor show last weekend. Knew I should have brought that squirrel stock I passed on 2 weeks ago
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiusb View Post
    I like the Weaver Marksman... Nice little 4 power...
    I have one of these, nice retro look.
    Scorpiusb likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links