Front Sight Hood question
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chp357

Thread: Front Sight Hood question

Sidewinder
    Member #

Front Sight Hood question

In my reading there appears to be two different sight hoods. A pre 1973 that is a barrel shape with straight edges and after 1973, the hood appears a bit more oval with cut-ins on top, front and rear edges.

Does anyone have more of a definitive answer on when the shape changed because I have a 1969 Mountie that has the newer, post 1973 style. I believe it to be original however from what I read it should have the older style hood on it. Did different models have different hoods? I'm confused.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The good news is, I think a hood is a hood as far as the sight is concerned. Almost any hood will fit any sight although it might not be "period correct."

As a child, a friend's older brother had a hood off a 9mm target handgun which he gave to me and it fit right on my Crossman 760 BB gun.

The hood from my 1980s Remington BDL .30-06 fit perfectly on my Marlin 25N. The hood from my 1894 .44 Mag fit my model 60.
    Your shadow is a confirmation that light has traveled nearly 93 million miles unobstructed, only to be deprived of reaching the ground in the final few feet thanks to you.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".
    "The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    The person who would proof read Hitler's speeches was literally a grammar Nazi.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Thank you for your input JetBlack. I have read that a K98 hood would also fit. I am looking for the explanation of a period correct hood for a 1947 39A and a 1969 39A Mountie.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I think you'd have to find a 1947 owner's manual to get an image of what the hood was supposed to look like. I've only used hoods on target guns with a tight rear peep sight to help line it up.

hooded front through rear peep.jpgtiny peep.jpg
    Your shadow is a confirmation that light has traveled nearly 93 million miles unobstructed, only to be deprived of reaching the ground in the final few feet thanks to you.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".
    "The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    The person who would proof read Hitler's speeches was literally a grammar Nazi.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack View Post
    I think you'd have to find a 1947 owner's manual to get an image of what the hood was supposed to look like. I've only used hoods on target guns with a tight rear peep sight to help line it up.

hooded front through rear peep.jpgtiny peep.jpg
    You have it right but here is a little more information. In 1945/46 Marlin introduced the front sight with a ramp on the model 39A and at the same time introduced the round sight hood and kept it that way until 1972. In 1973 they introduced the newer style and named it the wide-scan hood. Wide scans are available and relatively inexpensive ($15.00 or so), the older round ones on the other hand are a bit harder to find a quite a bit more expensive ($50.00 and up). Hope this helps.
    peteyboy likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by chp357 View Post
    You have it right but here is a little more information. In 1945/46 Marlin introduced the front sight with a ramp on the model 39A and at the same time introduced the round sight hood and kept it that way until 1972. In 1973 they introduced the newer style and named it the wide-scan hood. Wide scans are available and relatively inexpensive ($15.00 or so), the older round ones on the other hand are a bit harder to find a quite a bit more expensive ($50.00 and up). Hope this helps.
    You are making me feel bad.
    Old men with Garands do not panic.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by chp357 View Post
    Thank you chp357, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Round and wide-scan hoods. That means that my 1969 Mountie with the "wide-scan" hood is incorrect. It needs the round hood.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links