Lyman Receiver Peep Sight Scale
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Lyman Receiver Peep Sight Scale

Tinhorn
    Member #

Lyman Receiver Peep Sight Scale

I inherited a Marlin 81-DL 22lr with a Lyman receiver peep sight, pictured here.
    3572088_receiver_sight_57.jpg

However, the labels on my sight are in increments of 50 whereas this, and all that I have found online, are labeled in increments of 15. Is the scale on my sight feet instead of yards (50/15 is ~3)?

As I understand the function of this peep sight, the idea is that you zero using the screw on top but you set the range using the button on the side and the scale for the range. Is that correct?

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...er-peep-sights

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Look like this?

Lyman 58E.jpg
    ipser and 1Merlin like this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Yes, the scale looks like that though the rest of the sight looks like the one in the OP. Is that feet?
    1Merlin likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I believe it is yards... They were used on bolt action rimefire Winchesters and Marlins for the long shots...
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Ok, thanks! And am I correct in the OP how the range is adjusted?
    Scorpiusb and 1Merlin like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    That I know nothing about... Someone with experience with that peep sight going to have to chime in...
    1Merlin likes this.
    Bart

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ipser View Post
    I inherited a Marlin 81-DL 22lr with a Lyman receiver peep sight, pictured here.
    3572088_receiver_sight_57.jpg

However, the labels on my sight are in increments of 50 whereas this, and all that I have found online, are labeled in increments of 15. Is the scale on my sight feet instead of yards (50/15 is ~3)?

As I understand the function of this peep sight, the idea is that you zero using the screw on top but you set the range using the button on the side and the scale for the range. Is that correct?

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...er-peep-sights

Good question, depends. Depends on the thread pitch, the number of clicks per revolution, and distance between the peep and front sight.

Here is a tried a true formula that will give you MOA calculations.

((Vertical movement of rear sight in inches * 3600"s per 100 yards)/sight radius in inches)

Example: If you have a 36 thread pitch, one revolution is .028". If there are 10 clicks per revolution then each click is .0028". Let's say you have a 26" sight radius. Then each click would be ((.0028*3600)/24)=.39" at 100 yards. Each full revolution is 3.9 inches at 100 yards.

In other words, set your zero to a point on the scale and then work from there based on your knowledge of you bullet drop at yardage increments.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by PoopDeckPappy; 06-12-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    PDP aka: Pappy
    My Favorites: 22 Hornet and all wildcats, 28-30 Stevens, 32-20 and all wildcats, plus all hyphenated rifle cartridges
    Team: "Old Pharts" #348,
    Team Winchester #145

Tinhorn
    Member #
    To the last part of your question the button on the side is to remove the slide, or make rough adjustments only. The click knobs are for making point of impact adjustment. On a. 22 I would sight it in carefully at the range you shoot most at most. Zero the scale, then see what it reads at longer distance.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Strugl4xsc; 06-13-2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: His scale: on your scale 50 is your normal zero.
    ipser and PoopDeckPappy like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PoopDeckPappy View Post
    Good question, depends. Depends on the thread pitch, the number of clicks per revolution, and distance between the peep and front sight.

Here is a tried a true formula that will give you MOA calculations.

((Vertical movement of rear sight in inches * 3600"s per 100 yards)/sight radius in inches)

Example: If you have a 36 thread pitch, one revolution is .028". If there are 10 clicks per revolution then each click is .0028". Let's say you have a 26" sight radius. Then each click would be ((.0028*3600)/24)=.39" at 100 yards. Each full revolution is 3.9 inches at 100 yards.

In other words, set your zero to a point on the scale and then work from there based on your knowledge of you bullet drop at yardage increments.

Hope this helps.
    Yeah, this was going to be my next question since there are so many variables to bullet drop. I'll do some experimenting with it to see how close it is to the numbers as yards. Zeroing at 50 yards and testing at 100 yards should yield a predictable ratio against a ballistic chart.

Thanks, everyone.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    That's right, I enjoy math when it is necessary to figure something out, but I enjoy shooting way more. Twenty twos are still affordable enough to shoot at the different distances, and Skip the math entirely. Keep some notes though in a place that you can reference them or you may have to shoot some more.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links