Lyman Receiver Peep Sight Scale - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Lyman Receiver Peep Sight Scale

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Seeing as the scale is graduated equally it is not going to match point of impact at all the marked yardage.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    PoopDeckPappy, ipser and 1Merlin like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Strugl4xsc View Post
    Seeing as the scale is graduated equally it is not going to match point of impact at all the marked yardage.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Strugl4xsc,

Yep. That model Lyman sight is right in the marketing category of fishing lures. The marketing is genius. Designed to fool the one with the wallet.

Still a great sight, just don't put faith in the sighting guidance. Set the sight at the most shot distance and slide the indicator to zero. You can count clicks up and down for other common distances. This is how many shoot lever silhouette matches with great success.
    Ray Newman and 1Merlin like this.
    PDP aka: Pappy
    My Favorites: 22 Hornet and all wildcats, 28-30 Stevens, 32-20 and all wildcats, plus all hyphenated rifle cartridges
    Team: "Old Pharts" #348,
    Team Winchester #145

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I have never paid attention to yardage on witness plate. I have Lyman 66s on 9 rifles. I have sight on 1895 and 39 marked for Silos. It works like a charm. Especially in games of known distances. I have one on Maurader that I use all the time. I like to hustle the black rifle crowd at the range who think 30/30 are a joke and short barrel is worse.
    1Merlin likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    For waht ammo?? 22's come in a variety of choices the most common being Standard velocity of 1090 and high velocity at 1280. There are variations within these makes. Its kind of like asking at what range do the slides in open sights work. You have to go out and shoot to see.

DEP
    1Merlin likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    For waht ammo?? 22's come in a variety of choices the most common being Standard velocity of 1090 and high velocity at 1280. There are variations within these makes. Its kind of like asking at what range do the slides in open sights work. You have to go out and shoot to see.
    DEP
    I use (and would use) a combination of this and PoopDeck's response. Do the math and you will be close - if you are good at ciphering. If you are shooting at a known distance, again like Pappy says, set the sight for the most shot distance (I mark it with a white paint pen) and count clicks or revolutions up or down from the know distance mark on your sight. If you are just plinking and don't want to fool with moving the sight.... Set it for 35 (or whatever) yards and with HV ammo it will be a touch low to 35 - on there at that distance then a touch high out ot ~75 or so and then falling off to 6 or 7 low at 100. Just approximates and if you don't like these figures you will find that every ballistic chart will vary a little so every guy who shoots a .22 can throw in his .02 and tell you why you are wrong....

Once you get your known distances you can make note and put the dope on your gun or in a journal.

20190614_082419.jpg

If you shoot multiple rifles either keep a journal or tape your dope on the individual rifles. IMO a journal is better as you can keep info on all the different places you shoot as well as multiple ammos and even for specific conditions. It all boils down to how your mind works and how much detail you want (or require) to enjoy and succeed at your shooting. On a plinking rifle set it for 35 and use your brain and Kentucky windage. For score use detailed pre determined info - or somewhere inbetween...

This is just some of my .02 on the answer.
    ipser likes this.
    I like it. I love it. Can't get enough of it.

Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Yeah, ammo velocity will be a factor and a linear scale is not going to match up.

For consistency, I've decided to standardize on Winchester 42 Max Ammunition 22 Long Rifle Subsonic 42 Grain Lead Hollow Point:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...d-hollow-point

But I also have hypervelocity ammo for my semiauto 22 rifle (it won't cycle with subsonic).

I did take it to the range last week, zeroed it at 50 yards and then checked it at 100 yards where it fell approximately on the 125 yard mark on the scale. From that I can do the math and interpolate/extrapolate from there.

The ideal solution would be to turn the plate over and etch the correct marks on the blank side. I could even do multiple ammo velocities in different columns.
    Scorpiusb and 1Merlin like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    if you do MOA or milirad math, the scale will still work. you just have to work out the MOA/mil to get to inches. MOA is easier to work with in Imperial measures.
    1Merlin and ipser like this.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Sidewinder
    Member #
    You might try something like a Uline White Paint marker - fine tip. Mark the zero (at whatever distance you choose) with a long line and then several other lines at distances of your choice out to whatever you feel you max effective or used/needed range might be. If you shoot Lever Silhouette or anything with known distances mark your lines at those distances. If you are going to shoot unknown distances a mark or two for closer ranges coupled with a knowledge of holdovers/holdunders out to say 50 or so then one for 70, 85 and so on. Your bullet drop really is a rainbow at the longer effective ranges, which for my skill level is anything past about 65 or 70 yards with irons. Your skill level will dictate most of this. Good thing about the paint is you can always clean it off and remark should your ranges not prove to be what you want or if your ammo changes.

And... CCI Standard is as good as it gets for cheapie ammo IMHO. Always available and good QC from the factory mostly. Something I have not seen fro WInchester or Remington low priced ammo.

Just my .02.
    ipser likes this.
    I like it. I love it. Can't get enough of it.

Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I do similar to Merlin's suggestion. I set plate to 0 for closest range I'm going to shoot. Then I go to next range and when I 0rd there I put tape on witness plate, two pieces with thin space between and paint with white fingernail polish. Do same thing at each range. I'm not in to dragging a log book around. My book is at bench when I developing loads and there is a page for each rifle when sighted in. The marks on witness plates are relative.
    ipser likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links