Marlin Firearms Forum banner

39A Golden Rifle or 39A Mountie?

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  peteyboy 
#1 ·
In my gun collection, I recently added a very nice Marlin 1894 JM Deluxe in 44 Mag. It shoots like a dream. Never did I ever think a lever action could be so accurate.

That being said, I'm looking to add a 39A to my collection. I know the barrels are shorter and the stocks are straight on the Mounties, but is there any other pro's or con's regarding the two? Decisions, decisions..... what the hell.... maybe I should just find one of both? Thanks

#8 ·
I have a small collection of older lever action rifles. They all are straight stocked except a Savage 99. My newer post war levers are all straight stocked too. Levers feel weird to me with pistol grips. I got rid of Marlin 375w because it just didn't feel right. I will say that if you are running a scope the pistol grip provides a more natural hold. That's another thing that doesn't feel right, scope on a lever. I tried it one season and am back to reciever sights or irons.

#12 ·
When I was a teenager in the early '60's, I had to make the decision on 39A or Mountie. I got the 39A and proceeded to wear out the barrel. Shortly after I retired I found a little used '69 vintage Mountie. I grabbed it. I shot it against my old 39A and the Mountie was much better. That finally convinced me to have the 39A rebarreled. I was lucky enough to send it to the factory before they closed and moved everything to NY. Now both shoot equally well, which is quite well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.