Doesn't Marlin make the Texan, or Cowboy 39a anymore?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

I was just on the Marlin site, and don't see either of these rifles listed anymore.

Too bad, they were nice additions to the Marlin line.

hog
    Great, great, great, great, great grandson of a Revolutionary War Veteran.

Bill of RIGHTS, not bill of NEEDS

Visit my photo album, Vietnam 1968-69 at: http://www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha

39A.....880SQ.....15YN..... 336CB..... 1895GS

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

There is some disconcerting "information" in various places on the internet.

I've read in a few places where the 39-A is going to be taken out of production completely. Like-wise the "Winchester" 94-22. If this is true, just the "Browning" Bl-22, Ruger 96, and Henry rifles will be available to the rimfire levergun aficiandos...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Sidewinder
    Member #

If Marlin discontinues the 39a, it will be nothing short of foolishness.

If so, my guess is Marlin isn't seeing the whole picture. They can probably sell fifty of their other 22 offerings for every 39a. What they are too blind to see, is the 39a appeals to true connisseurs of fine firearms. Of those fifty cheapie rifles sold, a half dozen of their new owners will eventually be dissappointed they can't upgrade their collection to one of the truly great 22 rifles of the past 100yrs.

If they are hung up on high production (read: squeezing the last bit of profit potential out of the product) they will become nothing more than many companies that have sacrificed quality for chasing the dollar.

too bad

hog
    Great, great, great, great, great grandson of a Revolutionary War Veteran.

Bill of RIGHTS, not bill of NEEDS

Visit my photo album, Vietnam 1968-69 at: http://www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha

39A.....880SQ.....15YN..... 336CB..... 1895GS

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #

It would be hard to believe that Marlin would discontinue the 39AS. It is one of the "crown jewels" of their line. They don't need to sell that many if the margins are good enough. Here in California, they sell for at or near list price.

I've heard about the 9422. It is a small part of the Winchester line. Retooling is very expensive.

The 1897 Cowboy and Texan were special limited run models. The fact that they've been "discontinued" was part of their marketing rationale to begin with.

Long live the 39A!

Member #

My local dealer has found 3 "Texan" rifles that are NIB ! he got them from
    a distributer and should be in just after xmas!!

Member #

If Marlin discontinues the 39A or Win the 9422 I'm gonna take a big jalapeno and oatmeal crap in two hatboxes and mail one to each manufacturer marked "urgent....ATTN CEO...open immediately"!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart
    If Marlin discontinues the 39A or Win the 9422 I'm gonna take a big jalapeno and oatmeal crap in two hatboxes and mail one to each manufacturer marked "urgent....ATTN CEO...open immediately"!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
    The loss of the 94-22 has been confirmed- check the winchester page at rimfire central. Better get busy buying postage stamps....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail
    The loss of the 94-22 has been confirmed- check the winchester page at rimfire central. Better get busy buying postage stamps....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

That is sad news about the 9422.....guess I better get one (or two) while the gettins good.....if I can scratch up the cash. One box of s**t, priority mail, on the way!!!!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Hmmmm - If half, no, a tenth, no maybe one percent of the followers of these fine rifles followed suit, can you imagine the fallout? The mail truck would smell worse than a garbage truck :shock:

And I guess we can all watch the used gun prices start moving up (at least for the 9422 at the moment).

Guess I need to stock up on a few pre-safety 39A's..........
    If you believe there's good in everyone, you obviously haven't met everyone.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    Adam Savage

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail
    There is some disconcerting "information" in various places on the internet.

I've read in a few places where the 39-A is going to be taken out of production completely. Like-wise the "Winchester" 94-22. If this is true, just the "Browning" Bl-22, Ruger 96, and Henry rifles will be available to the rimfire levergun aficiandos...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    I just got off the phone with both Winchester and Marlin......Winchester was more ominous than Marlin -

Winchester is ceasing production of the std 9422's at the end of this year. They are goin to make a special "tribute" edition next year, consisting of 5 grades, production to total to 9422 rifles. Prices are running from 550 to 2300 bucks. Each. After 2005 year production stops, that's it - no more 9422's. The gentleman on the phone, in typical form of the area, was very curt and seamed as though I had REALLY disturbed him by actually having the nerve to call him, so I did not inquire as to the future of the 9417's.

Marlin's reply was they are going to continue the 39 production line, but they are changing the model designation from 39AS back to 39A - but retaining the idiot safety.

Hope this helps.

Shum8
    If you believe there's good in everyone, you obviously haven't met everyone.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    Adam Savage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links