Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cowboy23*

Thread: XT-22 Shaving bullets

Tenderfoot
    Member #

XT-22 Shaving bullets

Hello,

New to the board.

I have an new XT-22 that I shot for the first time today.

The rifle shoots well, but more often than not, the bullet under the round being fed has a large amount of lead being shaved off. I notice when this happens as the bolt becomes extremely hard to close, and normally will not close when this happens. I have the factory magazine and a spare I purchased. Both magazines have this issue.

I did see the thread about lead scraping/scaring off and a possible fix by reducing the spring length in the magazine and a bur on the bolt.

The bolt is what is shaving off the lead from the bullet. It's like it wants to feed the top round and take some of the next bullet with it.

Anyone else have this issue and find a fix?

Thanks,

Nick

uploadfromtaptalk1430613126829.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1430613143706.jpg

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I haven't had any issues... are those the Remington golden bullets?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    What is happening is the magazine is sitting up a tad too high so that when the bolt strips off the top round the one below it is a tad too high and the bolt is shaving it. The bolt should only strip the top round without touching the one below it.

Try taking the whole action out of the stock and with the magazine assembled with the rounds (point in safe direction if using live rounds to test this) shove the mag up but don't lock it in--- leave it a tad lower. Run the bolt in slowly to strip the top round and watch to see if the bolt is scraping the round below it. Adjust the mag height until the bolt does not shave the round below the top one. I must stress again to be very very careful if doing this with live rounds ! You should be using dummy rounds.

This will be the amount of shim height you will need to put between the mag housing and the receiver to prevent the bolt from shaving lead from the round below the top. Either that or you will need to lower the mag latch a tad (so the mag sits lower). Either way will fix this.
    Coondog likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Those are golden bullets. Issue also happens with federal auto match ammo.

Will try the magazine height.

Did get a call tag to send it for repair. Will do the above first before sending.

Did find a possible issue with the stock. Not sure if it is an issue or just cosmetic flaw.

Missing wood around the hole. Not sure if this causes a bedding problem or not.

uploadfromtaptalk1430783123298.jpg

Thank you for all the help.
    Last edited by vintagerifle; 05-04-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagerifle View Post
    Those are golden bullets. Issue also happens with federal auto match ammo.

Will try the magazine height.

Did get a call tag to send it for repair. Will do the above first before sending.

Did find a possible issue with the stock. Not sure if it is an issue or just cosmetic flaw.

Missing wood around the hole. Not sure if this causes a bedding problem or not.

uploadfromtaptalk1430783123298.jpg

Thank you for all the help.
    Also, on 22 rifles you don't need to cinch down the bolts that hold the action into the stock really tight. If you over tighten the action bolts it could distort the receiver. You only need to snug them down enough to hold the action into the stock. It's not like the 22 has gobs of recoil.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    That damage is how it came out of the box.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Did you find a fix? Im having same issues even after disassembly and reassembly with a wheeler fat wrench torqued to spec.. didn’t try to shim, shouldn’t have to with a brand new gun but guess thats the next option without sending back... also do you have trouble with consistent accuracy?? Ive tried a dozen different rounds and it definitely likes some better than others but it seems like it isn’t consistent even with same batch of target rounds , ive even measured the rim thicknesses and batched together with little improvement..

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Look carefully at the bottom of the bolt and see if there are burrs. If so - polish them off front to back, not side to side.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    When I was in college I micrometered all my CCI Green Tag and grouped them together by cartridge overall length. Unfortunately my gun didn't like Green Tag but I noticed no difference in accuracy one way or another despite there being quite a large range of C.O.L. in that box. I finally landed on CCI Standard Velocity round nose (the hollowpoints were slightly less accurate).

After replacing the barrel I suddenly had a bullet-shaving issue. Even though it didn't affect accuracy, it bothered me. I didn't get it if I only loaded five rounds in the mag so that was my "fix". [shrugs]

Quote Originally Posted by Skip2460 View Post
    Did you find a fix? Im having same issues even after disassembly and reassembly with a wheeler fat wrench torqued to spec.. didn’t try to shim, shouldn’t have to with a brand new gun but guess thats the next option without sending back... also do you have trouble with consistent accuracy?? Ive tried a dozen different rounds and it definitely likes some better than others but it seems like it isn’t consistent even with same batch of target rounds , ive even measured the rim thicknesses and batched together with little improvement..
    Your shadow is a confirmation that light has traveled nearly 93 million miles unobstructed, only to be deprived of reaching the ground in the final few feet thanks to you.
    Coffee is hard to make when you haven't had your coffee yet. This is called the "pre-caffeinated paradox".
    "The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln
    The person who would proof read Hitler's speeches was literally a grammar Nazi.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links