Marlin 39A Article II - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Marlin 39A Article II

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Ummm- I don't think I will shoot it. - After reading about these 39's maybe I should find a well cared for standard model from the late 70's or 80's and buy it to shoot. I get crazy ideas in my head, and everything tells me that the last guy to fire this gun was a gunsmith at the factory during the sight in 43 years ago. I just cant ruin that . If I was a Hardcore Marlin guy , maybe I would feel justified ; but I'm just not worthy yet .

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by moneypit77 View Post
    Ummm- I don't think I will shoot it. - After reading about these 39's maybe I should find a well cared for standard model from the late 70's or 80's and buy it to shoot. I get crazy ideas in my head, and everything tells me that the last guy to fire this gun was a gunsmith at the factory during the sight in 43 years ago. I just cant ruin that . If I was a Hardcore Marlin guy , maybe I would feel justified ; but I'm just not worthy yet .
    That's what we call Marlinitis, very easy to get, not so easy to get rid of.

Tim
    I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that by shooting this NOS or NIB vintage gun you are throwing away about half of what a second nice shooter gun would cost. I would think your gun could be worth around $1500 in unfired condition as opposed to $1000 to $1200 slightly used. It does not take many times working the lever to wear the bluing off the lever and hammer. There are many ways to enjoy guns, shooting them is only one way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    My Uncle has an Article II that is unfired as well. It has lived its entire life unboxed, unsleeved, uncased, and now looks a mess from getting bumped into and shuffled around. Stock is bumped, bruised, and scratched. When I saw it for the first time he was so proud of it that it was unfired. I explained to him in that condition it really meant nothing to the gun unfired. He should be out shooting the heck out of it.

Obviously this is a much different scenario than what you have, but perspective wise, I can understand not wanting to shoot it. I have a couple like that as well....

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Congrats, that's a sweet find.
    "Measure twice, cut once"... you can apply that to much in life.

Team 35 rem #483
    Team 30-30 #876
    Team Shotgun #2
    Team 60 (Model 75) #173
    Team 444 #592
    Team Old Pharts #193
    The Marlin League #160
    Team Winchester #36 ~ Team Captain
    Team Rossi #11
    Team BROWNING #1 ~ Team Captain
    Teams~ Glenfied #13, Wheelguns #36, Semi-Auto #21, Mitchell #8

Deadeye
    Member #
    Congrats on stealing the Marlin. I hope when you paid the guy you ran away real fast... before he realized what he has done? Like these other great Marlin lovers have said. Welcome to the site and like they said. Take it out and shoot it, that's what they were made for. You will not hurt it.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I bought one just after high school graduation, brand new from Sears. I got it to use and hunt with and when it got looking a little tired refinished the stock. I've shot many squirrels , groundhogs and rabbits with it, even won a few turkey shoots. Some may worry about collector value, but that is only a problem if I sell it, and I'll never do that. It will be the first rifle to be pasted down to my son. Shoot yours and enjoy. You won't regret it. BTW good deal.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I just made a post about one I saw today for sale at $800. and it was not anywhere close to new condition or having a box and paper work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links