Lug on inner mag tube flush with tube, won't engage outer tube
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wind

Thread: Lug on inner mag tube flush with tube, won't engage outer tube

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Lug on inner mag tube flush with tube, won't engage outer tube

The 39M I recently picked up has an issue with the magazine tube, i.e. the lug on the inner magazine tube does not protrude and therefore will not engage the notch in the outer magazine tube. The inner magazine tube will just spin in place inside the outer magazine tube. I haven't loaded the magazine yet, but I can't help but think the spring pressure from a fully loaded magazine will keep the inner magazine tube from fully seating when there's nothing to retain it.

Outer magazine tube indicates no damage at notch (I managed to bend the outer magazine tube on my first 39A when I allowed it to drop the full length and the lug that's on the inner magazine tube impacted the upper edge of the notch in the outer magazine tube - I was able to bend it back where it was barely noticeable, but noticeable nonetheless).

What caused this and what's the fix?

TIA

Heavens Dinger Ringer Contributing Member
    Member #
    Hey there 777 -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. Is this a newer or older rifle? Are you saying the stud is missing? Sheared off? It needs to be there and engaging the outer tube for the rifle to retain cartridges AND function properly. A little more information or a picture would help your cause. Best regards. Wind

Attachment 42466

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind View Post
    Hey there 777 -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. Is this a newer or older rifle? Are you saying the stud is missing? Sheared off? It needs to be there and engaging the outer tube for the rifle to retain cartridges AND function properly. A little more information or a picture would help your cause. Best regards. Wind

Attachment 42466
    Thx for the welcome Wind.

Forget to mention this 39M was manufactured in 1972. I recently acquired it from an estate. I got the impression this was a one owner gun.

The stud is there, fixed in the inner brass magazine tube, however it is perfectly flush on one side and on the other side it just barely protrudes out, hardly enough to even cause the slightest interference fit with the outer magazine tube (spins easily) when fully seated in the outer magazine tube.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by agent777 View Post
    What caused this and what's the fix?
    TIA
    No idea what caused it, but you'll need to replace the pin to fix it. Unless you can tap it from the flush side just a little to get it to protrude a little more. Otherwise, replace it.
    Last edited by JoeBud; 11-19-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBud View Post
    No idea what caused it, but you'll need to replace the pin to fix it. Unless you can tap it from the flush side just a little to get it to protrude a little more. Otherwise, replace it.
    Yeah, I was going to locate the right size punch and give that a shot. Otherwise I'll have to find another pin.

Thx.

Heavens Dinger Ringer Contributing Member
    Member #
    Hey again 777 -- Another thing you might check is whether or not the magazine tube seam is split. The seam is on top of the tube directly under the barrel. This occurs frequently and allows the tube mouth to be too large for the inner tube and pin. Then I'd look at pushing out a little more pin with a punch. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

Attachment 42471
    RonB likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    That inner magazine tube pin is often the most stubborn pin in all of Marlinville to drive out. They can be stuck really tight. If it is, there's at least two ways to get it loose: one is to take a piece of medium hard wood (at least 6" long) and drill a small hole about 1/8 of an inch from the end. It should be measured so that when the pin is over the hole the raised knob just drops over the edge of the wood, leaving the tube flat. The hole needs to be very slightly larger than the pin. Then lay the tube on the wood with the side of the pin down you want to drive out so that the pin is centered over the hole. This way the wood will support the tube as you drive the pin out. It's easiest if you have someone to hold the tube in position as you strike the pin, because the tube will tend to roll. If it won't budge, apply some penetrating oil, tap it some to get the oil to penetrate, give it some time and try again. If that doesn't work, try heating it with a blow dryer, or the pin with a soldering iron, and try again.

If all else fails, open the jaws of a vice just enough for the pin to go through and lay the tube on the top of the vice with the pin centered down and the knob barely hanging over the edge of the vice. It's best to pad the surface of the vice with something to prevent scratching. Then have another go at it.

Hopefully, your pin will come right out, but I've taken several out and more often than not they are buggers.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links