So I purchased my first ever 39A. A bit beat up and ugly but... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: So I purchased my first ever 39A. A bit beat up and ugly but...

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
    Congratulations,
    I bought a 1980 Browning BL-22 from my LGS a long while back. It was beat up no bluing left broken barrel band and drilled for a scope and receiver sights. Fixed everything on the rifle and even though it is not as nice or a good shooter as my Winchester 9422 or my Marlin 39A. I take that rifle out three times as much as my other rifles. Look on ebay for the butt plate, I purchased one off there for my Marlin 1894 CSBL to get rid of the recoil pad. It matched right up and looks great. The rest I would leave alone and shoot the snot out of her. Old girls are loyal and great workers.
    Congratulations again. Wonder if it is a really old rifle that has the tang sight screw holes or has someone drilled it for a tang sight. Either way it appears that it use to have a tang sight on it.
    I actually read that the 1947's were either the only, or the last 39A's to be factory drilled for the tang peep sight. I need to go back and look at the article again. It also said something about it being one of the only years for aluminum magazine rod.
    1Merlin likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    And thanks guys. I'm going to pull it apart and clean up the internals, buttplate is already on order, and we'll see about the peep sight. Dang things are awfully expensive.
    1Merlin likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    On that note... What tang sight works on the 39A?

Nevermind, I think I have this part narrowed down. Unless you want to share which ones you've personally used. I'd like to try to avoid anything over $100.
    Last edited by bwills80; 09-20-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    1Merlin likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I like it....so what is that butt plate made of? It's kinda interesting. A replacement should be easily obtained (If you want to "restore" it)...and the screw can't be that hard to find either. Otherwise, it looks pretty nice. As long as it shoots....that's all that would matter to me.

redhawk
    You'd be surprised. I had to "adapt" one that was close for my 57M.
    bwills80 and 1Merlin like this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Deadeye
    Member #
    You did very well with that find. Wish one would show it's self around here in that condition and price range.
    bwills80 and 1Merlin like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Wonder if it is a really old rifle that has the tang sight screw holes or has someone drilled it for a tang sight. Either way it appears that it use to have a tang sight on it.[/QUOTE]

According to the 1947 catalog, the 39A came with a Solid top, blued receiver, Ramped front sight, a flat top Rocky Mountain rear sight, drilled and tapped for Lyman 56 or other receiver sights and for tang peep sights. So those sight holes are factory.
    My 1947 uses those holes to attach a Weaver G4 scope. AND the barrel is slightly plum. A wonderful old, accurate rifle dressed in Black Walnut furniture.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My 1949 39A is factory drilled and tapped both on the tang, and the LH side of the reciever. Unless you get very lucky again, in order to stay under 100$ you should look for a reciever sight, I highly recommend a steel one. Some steel Redfields have the same hole spacing, but made for a different rifle, some will work and can be found under 100. To each their own, but IMO putting an aluminum Williams on it is like putting a H.A.M. radio antenna on a new Corvette.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    1Merlin and bwills80 like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Nice find. Those old ones from the 40s and 50s are the best ones in my mind. That's a beautiful stock. Shouldn't be too hard to clean that rifle up.
    1Merlin and bwills80 like this.
    Team 39A #274
    Team 30-30 #679
    Team 35 Rem # 408
    Team 1894 #570
    Team 45-70 #826

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vt4ster View Post
    congrats, good project, tons of fun. enjoy
    vt4ster said it all in 7 words.
    bwills80 likes this.
    I like it. I love it. Can't get enough of it.

Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links