Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1957 39A gunshow rescue

6K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  jkingrph 
#1 ·
Went to a local gunshow yesterday, saw a rusty 39A. At a decent price, but was leery. Thought about it all night, went back today and picked it up.
Wood is intact but some wear, slight pitting on rcvr. Barrel has that red hue, slight surface rust on tube and cap.
Good news is bore looks great, internals intact and look fine. All parts are intact. Hit the rust with steel wool and a good bit cleaned up. Will still have some slight pitting.
Was thinking I'd refinish it but now am leaning towards leaving it as is. Pictures are before cleanup.
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Metal Leather Suitcase Shotgun
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Wood

Were swivels included in 1957?
Would value be higher left as is, or would reblueing make no difference?
How did I do for $250otd?

See less See more
#7 ·
I stole it. Cleaned up great. No pitting, just speckles on the rcvr finish. Cycles ammo slick as can be. Very happy with it. No need to even consider refinishing. Can’t believe it sat at a big show for 2 days with a $298 tag on it. Every other 39 was $500-700

Attachments

#13 ·
I wish I could find one like that. I haven't seen one less than $500 around here no matter the condition, and that includes the one I saw that had a receiver that was pitted enough to almost look like a golf ball. Granted at the point I saw that one on an estate sale it had been cleaned and re-blued so no active rust but it still sold for $550.

#21 · (Edited)
Good catch. I was comparing it to my 1950 last night looking for differences, missed that. The roll mark, lack of tang d+t, d+t for scope, Pistol grip cap with white spacer and much thinner wood on the 1957 were different. Curious when they changed the hammer, is it possible it was around 57-58? I also saw where the R prefix could be 1958. Mine is in the 20k range R prefix. Whoever owned it was definitely was hard on the screws. And the crown indicates heavy firing. Curious how she’ll shoot.

#24 · (Edited)
Hi Old Grey Beard - I also took a punt on a used marlin at a discounted price because it had a bit if surface rust. Same result as you - a bit of brass wool and some hoppes no. 9 it 100% came away and no pitting and perfect bluing. I did however remove the butt stock and fore stock to find there was rust developing on the inside of the tang and on the trigger spring assembly. This area also cleaned up perfectly but could have been easily missed and developed into an ugly situation. So if you have not already done so might be worth removing the wood bits to check the covered metal surfaces for surface rust.

#25 ·
I did take it completely down. Real clean under the wood. There is slight pitting on the rcvr when I looked with a magnifier.
Rifle is growing on me, love the plum barrel when it’s in the sunlight. Can’t wait to shoot it tomorrow.
The rear sight on this rifle is different than my 1950, much better sight picture with my old eyes.

#28 · (Edited)
Shot great! Shot a bunch of 1.5” groups at 40yds. Put 5 shots in one hole at 20 yds.
And it handles great, some rifles just feel right, this one does. It’s a keeper!

Also the hammer should be correct, saw several 1958 M39a's online which do have the hammer grooved for a extension. Don't know when they transitioned but should have been in the 1957-1958 time period when the began to d/t for scopes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.