39 EXTRACTORS UPDATE READ THIS IF YOU HAVE FTE PROBLEMS Swany - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 39 EXTRACTORS UPDATE READ THIS IF YOU HAVE FTE PROBLEMS Swany

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: 39 EXTRACTORS UPDATE READ THIS IF YOU HAVE FTE PROBLEMS Swany

Everybody, I got that last Wisers extractor from the previous run, remember?? Well I filed it to fit and put some of those aluminum dummy practice rounds in and cycled..... Whew, they were a flyin all over the place. Prior to this they were kind of dribbling out. I'll get out to shooting somewhere soon and let you all know what's. By the way, I notice that someone was talking about CCI rounds firing real good. My 39A will only shoot Federal AutoMatch with repeatability. It FTFs between 3 to 5 out of 15 with anything else. My Century 39 is much less finicky. I have worked the shoulder of firing pin to let it set a hair deeper on rim, etc, but it still won't shoot everything I put in it. Last vacation I was stoppping at every WalMart I saw and buying the Federal AutoMatch (325 rds), so I've got a real stockpile now. Nice ammo at any rate, much cleaner, shinier out of the box than Winchester or Remington, or even Federal bulk packs.
    good plinking to you all.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Hello everybody, I know there probably isn't any extra Wisner extractors out there, but I gotta try. I just bought a real clean 1975 model 39A golden rifle and it just isn't wanting to eject or feed correctly. I love this rifle but it's way too frustrating to go out and do the plinking I love to do. From what I've researched on here it sounds like I need one of those great new Wisner extractors to get her clicking on all cylinders again! I'm anxious to see this rifle working good again so if anyone has one of these extractors they could part with, Me and 'ol bessy sure would appreciate it! Feel free to message me with the info. Thanks for all the help everyone's been giving me on this site.
    Team 30-30 #323
    Team 39 #76
    Team shotgun #10

"Where I live, Our houses are protected by the Good Lord & a gun, and you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son!"

Sidewinder
    Member #

Last summer I purchased a wisners extractor for my 39A. I have it installed and I am noticing about 5 rounds out of a magazine tube full of ammo, one round either won't eject or it just rolls out of the chamber on to the shooting bench. The others fly out 6-10 feet away. Any ideas on what could be causing this to happen? Dan

PS With the paperclip extractor, all the spent casings flew out a minimum of 10 feet.
    Team 1894 #37
    Team 39 #19

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

CKB
    Team 39 Co-Capt'n Wrangler
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter472401
    Last summer I purchased a wisners extractor for my 39A. I have it installed and I am noticing about 5 rounds out of a magazine tube full of ammo, one round either won't eject or it just rolls out of the chamber on to the shooting bench. The others fly out 6-10 feet away. Any ideas on what could be causing this to happen? Dan

PS With the paperclip extractor, all the spent casings flew out a minimum of 10 feet.
    Sounds to me it is the ejector, not the extractor.
    Team 39 #2 Co-Captain
    Old Phart #16
    Team 39-30 #53
    Team .45-70 #106

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Finally got out to the mountains on Sat. tried out the new Wisners extractor, worked great!! Nothing dribbled out of rifle. When I cleaned it I did hone down the side of the ejector claw, as Swany suggested. The bolt seemed to project out of it's opening somewhat after new extractor was installed. Seemed ot help. I'll report back next range visit.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    TheOde to Marlin 39A. Here are the realreasons for your newer 39A to Fail-To-Fire (FTF) and Fail-To-Extract (FTE) andthe options to “tune” your rifle or have it “tuned” for you. My 39A is now 2 years old and out of the boxits performance was dismal with any brand and level of ammo. As I do not intend to use this in any highend competition, I would prefer it to do well with bulk ammo. Here were the stats with the top 3 bulk ammosellers for each 18 rd load of LRs. ForWinchester bulk I had an average of 10 FTF and 7 FTE. Remington was 7 FTF and 7 FTE. Federal was the best with 5 FTF and 3FTE. The problem is both FTF and FTEshould be 0. Through surfing theinternet and trial-and-failure of most of the suggestions I have found the two mostcommon causes and fixes.

Myfirst try was to shorten the bottom of the “Hammer Rebound Strut”. If you have done any searching and fixing,I’m sure you know what I am talking about. With the first two fixes I am going to suggest you will not need to dothis. I am now using a new unalteredstrut and every round fires with no annoying spring ping after the shot.

Youcan do these fixes yourself if you are handy with tools and are reallycareful. I always make small changes andtest in order to find the stopping point. I alter the cheapest parts to replace first in any attempt to tunethings. You can have a qualifiedgunsmith read what the problem is along with their assessment and fix, or youcan send the 39A back to Marlin (Remington) with an explanation of theproblem. I found that it’s a real gamblesending it back to Marlin and getting a working rifle back.

1. Thefirst thing to check and fix is the “Cartridge Guide Spring”. This is a small spring that is on the insidetop of the receiver that helps guide the next round into the chamber. The problem with the spring is that it sticksdown too far. The first problem causedis that it blocks a spent cartridge from extracting. The second problem, one I have not seen onthe internet, is that it interferes with the firing pin. This is the cause of the many FTF’s and notthe “Hammer Rebound Strut”. I have readwhere some owners have fooled around with the mounting screw that holds this inplace or have bent the spring. Thesefixes may help with FTE, but not with FTF. I experience two things when trying them. First the screw holding the spring is onlylong enough to catch 2 or 3 threads in the spring on a part of the spring thatis a lip created by the hole being stamped. The lip breaks and the screw won’t hold the spring in place. Second, the spring is small and brittle…itbreaks. The real problem with the springis that the slot where it is mounted in the receiver is not deep enough. I used a Dremel tool to carefully ground adeeper channel. This fixed the FTF’sdown to 0 even for the Winchester bulk.

2. Thenext major problem causing FTE was that the bolt was not closingcompletely. I had about .01” gap afterclosing the bolt. When the round wasfired this gap allowed the cartridge to bulge just above the rim, jamming it inthe chamber. You can fix this byeither: 1. Cold hammer the end of thefinger lever were it locks the bolt or 2. Heat up the end of the finger lever were it locks the bold and hammer itslightly to extrude the metal out. Afterextruding you will probably have to use needle files to adjust it so it is nottoo tight. If it is too tight the“Finger Lever Screw” will break.

Thesetwo fixes will probably solve all the FTF’s and FTE’s. I had one more that I did that seems toassure extraction of the most stubborn of brass. I filed the end of the ramp on the barrelwere the extractor sits when the bolt is in lock position. This created a slight notch in the chamberthat allows the extractor to get all the way into the rim. I then filed the ramp itself to make a smoothtransition for the extractor. A resultof the 3 fixes above…0 FTF’s and FTE’s using any type and length of ammo.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Hi !

New to this forum and proud owner of 3 Marlin Rifles, 1895M, 1894CS and the reason for me being here, a 1897 Texan that will not extract the fired case.

Is there any hope for us outside of US to order a Wisner extractor ?

I'm living in Sweden and marlin parts are scarce to say the least.

Any one know if it is possible to obtain a "new style" extractor instead of the paper-clip version ?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

The 39A extractor

I have been watching with great interest the Marlin 39A horror stories about FTE problems and the surggested ways to cure fix or improve it. I tried some ,and Swany,s twecking cure came very close to fixing my son,s 39A the problem was I had already tried to polish the extactor tip where it contacts the rim of the case and I believe I took to much off .I ran over 200 Winchester Power Point through the gun ,not shooting just cycling [had no place to shoot at the time] Thought I had fixed the problem but when we did fire the gun about one in three would be left in the chamber when the bolt was opened . I gave up and bought a new Marlin paper clip replacement, looked the same as the original and as the rifle is less than two years old I had little faith it would work any better.I have to say that the new paper clip worked perfectly after shooting about a hundred rounds down the range yesterday.Is it fixed, time will tell .What I was wondering is could the extractors improvement be luck or after all the bad reports on this problem might the factory have the quality of the component to the point where it really does function as it should . Does any one else have something good or bad to say about the latest batch extactors

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Jesus! I have had this same problem with my "Texan" ever sense I bought it new! Stamp steel extractor. Thanks for the info!

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Count me in as an 1897 Texan buyer with the same problem. Have some 50s vintage 39a models and a 65 Mountie. Now I can get this beauty of an octagon barrel model running like her sisters.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links