Rifle ideas for the shutdown
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Rifle ideas for the shutdown

Deadeye
    Member #

Rifle ideas for the shutdown

Thinking of some rifle projects for the Covid shutdown, I made at least one decision today. I ordered a McMillan stock for a Winchester Model 70. It's one of those push feeds with the ugly black synthetic stock, which I initially bought as a back up hunting rifle. It is a pretty good shooter and I have been wondering if it would shoot better with an upgraded stock. So I took the plunge and ordered the McMillan today. It's a traditional hunting stock, nothing too fancy, but the thought is that this upgrade should be a significant improvement, maybe shoot smaller groups. It is a fiberglass stock with aluminum pillars and the tighter tolerances McMillan has, I am looking forward to testing it out. Otherwise, I am out several hundred bucks.

I haven't come to any conclusions on the second item. That has to do with a single shot. I have been thinking of getting a falling block, like a Ruger No. 1 in .30-06, just because it seems like a cool gun. Then I found out about Winchester's 1885 rifle, maybe in the same caliber. And today I got the idea of going all the way, getting something like an Uberti High Wall in .45-70 or maybe another type of black powder cartridge rifle. Just because I know muzzle loaders but don't have any experience with buffalo guns. Then I had some second thoughts after hearing something about Uberti High Walls being for CAS and not so finely finished barrel wise. I know you can get into some big money if going the way of C. Sharps or a Shiloh Sharps. So I have sometime to think that over. And on top of that, this master gunmaker is finishing a Lancaster flintlock rifle for me up in Pennsylvania. It should be ready for deer season this year. I would like to get out for Pennsylvania's flintlock only deer season this time. I also have been shooting my long bow during the shutdown, hoping to dedicate myself to bow season this year. After this shutdown, I need to look forward to the good things in life again.

What's everyone else doing to while away the time?
    M700, JMAG54, bullgun and 13 others like this.
    Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum (pre-Remlin)
    Team 1894 Member #238
    Member Group Bangin' Blackhawk's
    Team Wheelguns #94

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Shooting.

Loading some ammo, and shooting. Hiking a lot.

I'm a big fan of the Ruger Number One if that's the direction you choose.

Guy
    JMAG54, bullgun, Sambane and 7 others like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    On that second item ..............love my two 1885's. Far as reliability/strength between them and the No.1, maybe someone else here would have some input. One thing for sure, the 1885 Browning/Winchester is just wonderful craftsmanship.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    We've been in lockdown in Australia now for a couple of months, and we've just been allowed to go fishing and hunting again, so off to our private range this weekend for a shot or two. One of the guys I shoot with has a pedersoli .45-70 I think in the Quigley version which he absolutely loves, so I'm sure that'll be coming along.
    In terms of rifle ideas ,I've thinking about a Sauer 100 in 7mm Rem Mag and also a Savage 170 ( the latter being really hard to find in Australia)
    Over the lockdown I've purchased a 2.5 Leupold Scout for the 1894 Marlin and a 4x Leupold Rimfire for my late Father's .22 b/a.
    And of course a little bit of loading has been done.....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Loading, Dreaming and plenty of sleep. No shooting anywhere in this state now. Working on changing states!

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    We're still very much in lock-down down here. No shooting allowed, 'cept BS of course.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Magwa45......What shutdown! Too busy around the “compound” to get any shooting done! So......everything much the same around here!

Keep us (or at least me) updated on your findings with the Model 70. I’ve “threatened” for many years, to change the “Tupperware” factory stock on my wife’s .338 WM .....just haven’t done it! And like yourself, the rifle shoots pretty good, and my wife doesn’t want to spend the money.....I just think that it could shoot better and be more comfortable! I’ve got a McMillan with cheek piece on mine, and and have been very happy for 30 years and counting!

Also, just giving my “2 cents” I’ve always thought that the Ruger#1 is the prettiest factory produced rifle....with the Winchester “Featherweight”, coming in at a close 2nd.!
    Good Luck with your projects! memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 05-15-2020 at 07:08 AM.
    shawlerbrook, M700, JMAG54 and 5 others like this.
    “You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“Available space.....is wasted case”! memtb

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Honestly, my schedule hasn't changed all that much. I'm still working although all OT was cancelled months ago when this all started. So that put a huge dent in my "gun funding". My OT is what I normally use to feed my addiction. Without it, I am going through some serious withdrawals. That being said, I am still in the midst of major home renovations during the summer months and it looks like that will be put on hold for awhile this year. Added to that is my daughter going back to school which is diverting funds away from projects. So far, I have been spending some of that time "catching up" on numerous gun projects, about a dozen so far. That entails everything from basic cleanings to complete refurbishing. I just finished an 89C that was given to me by the son of a recently deceased friend. He gave me 3 of her 6 guns, a Browning A5, Savage 99 and this 89C. I never even knew she had a 22. Once I saw it I knew why. It was literally, a piece of junk. Surface rust, heavy mold all over the wood and plastic trigger guard, buttplate smashed, bolt charging handle broken off, both sights missing and no magazine.

It's been sitting in my basement gun rack since last year when I acquired it. About 2 weeks ago, I was browsing a local gunshop that always has racks of cheap 22 project guns. Guess what I found? Yep, an 89C. It was in rougher shape than the one I have as far as rust goes, but it had all the parts I needed, including the original 15rd mag. I bought it and culled all the parts I needed to restore the one I had. Came out awesome considering what I started with. Wishing now I had taken some "before" pictures but I didn't. I finished that one and just did the stocks on 2 others, a Marlin 57 and a Mossberg "Chuckster". These stocks just needed oiling. In nice shape but dull and dry. Been wanting to do that for a few years now, now it's done. Started last night on a 36-A-DL that I've had and never did anything with. When that's done I still have about a dozen more project guns in my basement rack. I have enough projects, gun related and home related, to keep me busy for a very long time. And should I desire, I have a lifetime supply of reloading components I could dig into.
    M700, JMAG54, Sambane and 2 others like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    The different degrees of "lock-down" are interesting aren't they?

From the start our very liberal gov here in Washington mentioned that of course we could go for walks, bicycle rides, that sort of thing. He's a bicycle guy himself. So... most of my friends and I have been out walking or riding bicycles pretty much daily. I substituted "kayak" for bicycle and have been paddling on the Columbia River a couple of times. Mostly though, just walking, hiking.

And of course there are LOTS of home projects to do. I've stayed busy with those as well. Just find it interesting that the "lock down" varies so much. In fact, some places never did shut down/lock down.

Guy

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    The different degrees of "lock-down" are interesting aren't they?

From the start our very liberal gov here in Washington mentioned that of course we could go for walks, bicycle rides, that sort of thing. He's a bicycle guy himself. So... most of my friends and I have been out walking or riding bicycles pretty much daily. I substituted "kayak" for bicycle and have been paddling on the Columbia River a couple of times. Mostly though, just walking, hiking.

And of course there are LOTS of home projects to do. I've stayed busy with those as well. Just find it interesting that the "lock down" varies so much. In fact, some places never did shut down/lock down.

Guy
    Kayaking is good. I have been wanting to get out on the water in my guide boat.
    M700 likes this.
    Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum (pre-Remlin)
    Team 1894 Member #238
    Member Group Bangin' Blackhawk's
    Team Wheelguns #94

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links