Rifle ideas for the shutdown - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Rifle ideas for the shutdown

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I picked up a Winchester model 70 at the beginning of this mess. It's a 225 win. I got brass and dies and been dialing it in. First cutting is off in the fields, time to look for some chucks.
    Drm50, Herrschutz and 94win30wcf like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    You got enough groundhogs to shoot? They are scarce here. Use to go almost every night. The few we have I’m letting go for seed. My Bro picked up a 225 on a MarkX 98 / heavy barrel last summer. I don’t think he has shot it yet. I just mounted a 4x Leupold on Savage 99 250. I’ve got 40rds loaded and if it don’t rain tomorrow or Monday will shoot it in. I really wanted receiver sight but they are scarce or look like a erector set.
    Herrschutz and vt4ster like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Magwa45 View Post
    I found CPA Rifles. Very interesting, did not know about this rifle company. Are you familiar with the rifles?
    Magwa45,

I would not classify my knowledge as familiar, more like singleshotitis. I have one for NRA BPCR with 45-100 and 40-65 barrels. One for Schuetzen and cast bench rest with 28-30 Stevens and 32-20 CPA barrels. Lastly, the 6.5x57R and a rim fire falling block for 22lr. It took years to accumulate the trio of action and I really like their product and the people that make them.

If you call, they will pick up the phone and answer your questions. You will most likely get Gail, Paul's daughter. They only produce around 500-600 a year when they are in full production. It always took about 6-8 months to get mine after ordering.

Oh, they do beautiful wood for a very reasonable price. Also, the Win 225 will work on the Stevens action.

6.5x57 stock.jpg 28-30 Schuetzen Stock.jpg
    Last edited by Herrschutz; 05-23-2020 at 05:28 PM.
    94win30wcf likes this.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Back in the 70 ties I hired a young man and naturally ask him if he had any guns and he said he had a Model 70 in 225 win and a Sako in 25-06 but said he never shot them. Long story short I went over to his house and he pulled them fro under the bed. The 225 Win was a post model with a bull barrel and the Sako was nice in 25-06. I bought both of them very cheap and promptly got rid of the 225 Win and eventually sold the Sako. Fifty years later I still run across a stray 225 Winchester round and immediately know where it came from.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrschutz View Post
    Magwa45,

I would not classify my knowledge as familiar, more like singleshotitis. I have one for NRA BPCR with 45-100 and 40-65 barrels. One for Schuetzen and cast bench rest with 28-30 Stevens and 32-20 CPA barrels. Lastly, the 6.5x57R and a rim fire falling block for 22lr. It took years to accumulate the trio of action and I really like their product and the people that make them.

If you call, they will pick up the phone and answer your questions. You will most likely get Gail, Paul's daughter. They only produce around 500-600 a year when they are in full production. It always took about 6-8 months to get mine after ordering.

Oh, they do beautiful wood for a very reasonable price. Also, the Win 225 will work on the Stevens action.

6.5x57 stock.jpg
    I found some YouTube videos and theses look very nice. What type of reloading gear do you use? I am waiting for a flintlock rifle which should be finished later this year. Maybe then I will think of another custom rifle. Can you visit the shop? I am not far from eastern PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Herrschutz likes this.
    Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum (pre-Remlin)
    Team 1894 Member #238
    Member Group Bangin' Blackhawk's
    Team Wheelguns #94

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Magwa45,

You should call them. I am not sure about visiting the shop, especially with the COVID restrictions going on. Based on what I have seen on their Facebook page, they attend local matches.

I use regular rifle loading dies and reloading tools. I cast for all except the 22 lr. The only one I shoot jacket bullets in is the 6.5 all the rest are really best with cast. The only special item I made was a drop tube for BP loads in the 45-100, 40-65, and 28-30.

If you are not interested in casting, some of the highpower cartridges could be the 22 or 22K Hornet, any 30-30 based wildcats like the 219 Wasp, Zipper, or Ackley Improved version, 225 Win, 30-40 Krag, 303 British, the 8mm, 7mm, and 6.5mm rimmed Mauser cartridges, 45-70 etc. Their web page lists many. They cut the 6.5x57R chamber for me for not additional charge. If you are considering a cartridge not listed Gail will help direct you.

BTW, I saved some by having them fit and sand. I did the finish work.

I hope you will be able to visit with them soon.
    Last edited by Herrschutz; 05-23-2020 at 08:33 PM.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrschutz View Post
    Magwa45,

You should call them. I am not sure about visiting the shop, especially with the COVID restrictions going on. Based on what I have seen on their Facebook page, they attend local matches.

I use regular rifle loading dies and reloading tools. I cast for all except the 22 lr. The only one I shoot jacket bullets in is the 6.5 all the rest are really best with cast. The only special item I made was a drop tube for BP loads in the 45-100, 40-65, and 28-30.

If you are not interested in casting, some of the highpower cartridges could be the 22 or 22K Hornet, any 30-30 based wildcats like the 219 Wasp, Zipper, or Ackley Improved version, 225 Win, 30-40 Krag, 303 British, the 8mm, 7mm, and 6.5mm rimmed Mauser cartridges, 45-70 etc. Their web page lists many. They cut the 6.5x57R chamber for me for not additional charge. If you are considering a cartridge not listed Gail will help direct you.

BTW, I saved some by having them fit and sand. I did the finish work.

I hope you will be able to visit with them soon.
    I cast for handgun bullets and want to learn more about these type of cartridges. I think you said the 6.5x57 is a rimmed cartridge similar to the Swedish Mauser. What interested you in this cartridge? I think the 38-55 would be something of interest. Are you shooting a lot of BPCR competitions? The rifles must be a little heavy to haul off into the woods for deer hunting, or maybe not? I'd like to hear about this kind of shooting.
    Herrschutz likes this.
    Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum (pre-Remlin)
    Team 1894 Member #238
    Member Group Bangin' Blackhawk's
    Team Wheelguns #94

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Magwa45,

I was looking for a 6.5 rifle cartridge I could use in the 44 1/2. After some research, I found the 6.5/257 Roberts, only it is rimless. I knew the 257 Roberts is a necked down 7x57. That lead me to the 6.5x57 that is still in production in Europe, both the rimless and rimmed versions. You can get RWS unprimed brass for the 8mm, 7mm, and 6.5mm rimmed cases here in the US. I also shoot the 6.5 Lyman 150 gr GC cast in it as well for reduced loads. The steady jacketed bullet load is 123gr moving at 2,780 fps. My barrel twist of 1 in 9" and will support the 130 gr easily. However, if you want to shoot the longer ELD 140 gr bullets, you will need a 1 in 8" twist.

They even make a 5.6x57R. It is similar to the 220 Swift in both velocity and barrel life though. It is designed to shoot a 70-75gr .224 bullet for legal medium game hunting in Europe.

Yes, the weight is around 9.5 to 11# depending on the caliber and barrel length. I have a Win HW 1885 in 38-55 I picked up from a LGC several years back. In the 38-55 I shoot a 325 gr soft 40-1 allow with BP and it is a one hole group rifle at 100 yards. I also shoot a 230 gr bullet for fun Big Bore Silhouette matches using 4198.

Again, one of the real positives about the 44 1/2 is you can swap the barrel with one barrel lock screw and if you need to also change the extractor, one allen set screw.

The local ranges do not have BPCR matches. I do have a few with 600 yard target lines and shoot there from time to time. However, in 3 years when I retire and move the local ranges in that area do!

Happy I could introduce you to a local PA maker that may be able to help you get what you are looking for.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links