Marlin Firearms Forum banner

My new CZ in the original 6.5

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  shifty 
#1 ·
Got a deal on this NOS CZ557 on GB recently, in 6.5x55 (Swede fan). Put a Czech scope on this Czech rifle which is my first Meopta, don’t know much about it but it does have good reviews. The rifle+scope is a little heavier than my T3x/Vortex combo but I really like the look and feel of the CZ.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Nice 557! The twist on yours should work out to 1:8.6 or so, they are sweet shooters. My 550FS in Swede is an excellent shooter as well. Be careful though, they tend to multiply! The latest one to show up is a match of yours, except in the very hard to find 7x57 Mauser and a 550. I have owned 10 over the years.

Happy Hunting!
Zingger

Edit: Sorry I didn't read through the original post very well, I thought it was a 550, not 557! Eeek! Apologies folks!

#7 ·
Great choice! I have been hunting on and off with the "Sweed" for about ten years. Accurate, powerful and a pleasure to shoot. Very low recoil. CZ makes an awesome rifle. They are pigs and tend to be a bit on the heavy side. Mine is a 550FS in 6.5X55 topped with a Leupold Freedom 1.5X4X20 in Warne QD rings.
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
Deer Recreation Wildlife biologist Antelope Deer hunting
9 Pointer taken November of '18 with the Sweed. Straight thru and hit a rib and pushed it through the other side. 155 gr Lapua RN.

#9 ·
Another CZ fan here. Classic Mauser style bolt gun. A fine example that there still are some good, quality new guns being made. Wake up Remington!

#13 ·
My Swede was hte military carbine wiht the 18.5 barrel. It was the one that shot through both shoulders of the 6 point buck. 156 grain Norma. My brother in law's Swede had a 24" barrel cut doen form the standard rifle which was about 29" I think. The carbine was supposedly for the ski patrols. The Biathlon winter skiing competition is base on that. Brother in law shot lots of deer with his Swede.

I shoot LH so sold the carbine. I now use the 6.5 CM but am indifferent between it and the Swede as far as use goes. 260 is a good one also. If you handload the Swede there are two sets of data. One for the old Mausers and one set for the newer rifles, which is a bit warmer.

DEP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.