anyone kill deer with their 22-250
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: anyone kill deer with their 22-250

Distinguished Master
    Member #

anyone kill deer with their 22-250

I have killed several deer over the years with a 22-250 and was curious to see if any of you hunted with the 22-250 on deer. I have a TC Encore that is deadly accurate and am thinking hard about giving it some excercise in the deer woods.

Wrangler
    Member #
    My best friend is a prairie dog shooter and regularly shoots them at 600 yards which I think is great!
    He also hunts deer with the same rifle, we have a little back and forth about him hunting deer with an inferior caliber. He is a crack shot! If you use a 22 caliber rifle it’s all about shot placement. I just think there are better options.
    Also saw him shoot an antelope buck at 450 yards that was DRT!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have a story about the 22-250 for deer.
    about 10 years ago, we went to Texas to a family members place. I was taking my son down to hunt. I took an rifle I have used for years, and had shot it before we left. Well, we got down there, and he said let’s shoot your rifle and make sure it’s on.
    Well wouldn’t you know, it shot all over the place. Long story short, the scope was shot. Did I take a backup gun, nope!

He said, don’t worry about it, and handed my son a Remington 700, in 22-250 and said he can shoot this one. My son killed 3 deer, and every single one dropped dead in its tracks. When we gutted them, it looked like a grenade had gone off inside. Unreal damage.

Fast forward a few years, and my daughter was ready to go with dad. She was really small, so I got her a 22-250, and she killed several with it over the next few years. All of them dropped dead right there. I used it one year just to say I did. And killed a nice 10 point, same results. Death upon impact.

Dont know what it is about that round, but I am convinced it works! Seeing is believing, and I have seen it multiple times! 22-250 is a mean round!
    Last edited by Arky73; 11-07-2019 at 08:55 PM.

NRA Life/Endowment
    1968 336
    1972 Texan
    God bless our troops! Thanks to all that serve or have served!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have. Just head shoot them or break their necks

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Back in the late 60ties I purchased a Model 700 bdl in 22-250 not knowing much about the caliber. It was bitter cold as I sat about 10 ft off the ground on a 2x6 nailed across two tree branches for a seat. There was ice on the board when I sat down on it and as the morning progressed I became just about frozen and I had to get out of the tree. You can laugh if you want to but I was seconds away from death as I scraped off some rich lightered pine from a pine knot and got a good fire a blazing. It was throwing thick black smoke up in the air and I was starting to warm up when a pain hit me and I had to drop my pants and take care of business. I leaned the gun against a tree by me and looked up and a small 8 point buck was walking down the high line about 50 yards from the fire not paying any attention to it. I picked up the 22-250 with my pants around my knees and shot the buck and he just looped off like I missed him. I walked over to where he had been standing and there was a small drop of blood so I walked in the direction he had ran and only made it about 20 yards and there he laid shot right behind the shoulder and out the other side. I truly don't think the deer even knew he was hit.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Did one doe with a 22/250, stacked the deck in my favor by using Nosler 60 gr (not a partition but did have a thick tapered jacked) approx mv 3400fps. In all honesty could not tell the difference between that or my .308 (approx. 1.5" exit hole on far side of head). I take CNS shots when available and am used to not having to track and passing on anything but a shot that I am very comfortable with.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I've never used a 22/250 or 220swift on deer. I have friends in WVa that use them every year. They are shooting from stands set up to shoot open fields. They are only using 55gr bullets and have no trouble taking deer. Shooting under those conditions with Varmit guns and scopes they can put the kill shot on them, I guess. I don't use CF 22 calibers for hunting. They will do it but they aren't the universal deer rifle. There are a lot better choices.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have had more one shot DRT kills with the 22-250 and the 223 Remington on deer than the 7 Magnum class of rifles with 140 gr. bullets. I use the Hornady 60 gr. spire point with the lead tip bullet. I never use plastic tips for deer. Over 90% of the 60 gr. exit with at least a 3/4" hole or larger. The 60 gr. Nosler Partition killed very well and never failed to exit in the 22-250 but not quite the accuracy of some other brands. I have killed them with the lighter weights and put them down well but with a 60 gr. you have a exit hole with enough size to have a good blood trail if they would run. I think the 22-250 and 223 actually kills as well as the 243 with 80-90 gr. bullets and better on our size deer than the 100 gr. 243 that shows not very much expansion at times. I had to follow quite a few lung shot deer from using 100 gr. bullets in the 243 before going to 80 gr. and never had to follow them after changing to the lighter better expanding bullets. I shot crop damage deer with my Savage 112 varmint model 220 Swift with the 55 gr. Hornady and they never ran but they had a lot of blood shot meat from that rifle.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I’ve not used one but friends have. Since 22-250’s typically have slow twists they use the 55 Barnes ttsx, they fear not shoulders or angles. Shots are typically 20-75yds in open woods and thickets. Exits and good blood trails if they move from their tracks.

if I can find a 22-250 with an 8 twist I’ll be giving one a run.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Back in the late 70's/ early 80's, I shot a ton of large feral goats with my Parker Hale .22/250. For those not familiar with them the Parker Hale is mostly a commercially produced Mauser action.

In those days I used hand loaded Sierra 63 gn semi-points. Everything I pointed it at fell dead in its tracks. Sadly Sierra no longer make the 63gn'ers.

They made a varmint rifle into a true medium-game rifle.
    Prickle Farmer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links