anyone kill deer with their 22-250 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: anyone kill deer with their 22-250

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Yup, I have many clients out here that use them.
    I am not very fond of the small calibres, but the 22-250 is an exception.
    I have to admit it is a rather good caliber on medium sized and small antelope.
    The thing going for it is its accuracy - most acceptable even on longer shots.
    The wind can drift it some though.

I used a client's rifle once to down an injured blue wildebeest, not advisable on these kinds of animals, but it can certainly do it if things are favourable!

" a tired warrior aims a little higher"

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    my first deer ever, old ruger 77tang safety w target barrel, 275 lb 8 pt, 1 shot though lungs, it jumped off about 25 yards and flopped on the ground dead.
    horseshoe likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Don't use your regular varmint bullets. Use the heavier .224 caliber bullets. The ones that are at least 60 grains or above, if your rifle shoots them accurately. The heavier bullets are more strongly built and are much less likely to disintegrate on the first structure they hit.

Ballistically, at 3400 fps or so, there will be very large temporary and permanent wound channels. In other words, shoot them somewhere you don't mind pulverizing the meat.

22-250 is a phenomenal round. Fast, accurate, low recoil, deadly. It was the very first caliber I ever reloaded, using an original Lee Loader back in about 1969. And my Rem 788 in that caliber is my most accurate rifle.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    And people worry if a .30-30 is enough gun.....
    mrguvna, horseshoe, Arky73 and 3 others like this.
    Nothing is impossible......for the person that don't have to do it !!

Benefactor Member NRA

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Prickle Farmer stated that Sierra had discontinued the 63 gr semi point but Midway carries them for 18.91/box of 100. A very good and accurate bullet for the 22-250. I like the 65 gr Sierra spitzer, if your gun will handle them, I shoot them in my AR-15.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    In years past I shot a lot of Roe Deer with a 22-250 even before 22 centre fires were legal for the smaller Deer this side of the pond. When I was a lot younger and stupider the 2 longest shots I made with a 22-250 were (remember I said stupider) 2 Roe buck in 2 days. The first 1 was neck shot at 400yds I allowed 6" wind drift and hit smack on the centre of his neck, the neck was strait and horizontal at the time. The second was just behind the shoulder at 350yds dropped where he stood 1.5" exit hole. Sierra 55gr bt 3500fps.

OK do I use one now NO for 2 reasons 1 I use speer 52gr match HP for foxes and these would just blow up and cause a surface wound on Deer. 2 I believe in using enough gun for when things go wrong. The rifle is a heavy barred Krico now with a Douglas match grade barrel chambered to the Ackley variant and a double set trigger, at the time these shots were made it had the original factory barrel.

With correct shot placement and the correct bullet weight and construction this is a D.R.T round. Let us not forget the .223 round is used by half the worlds armies to kill each other, but a wounded combatant also takes men out of the fight to get him off the field. A wounded Deer can run along way.

Correct be if I'm wrong but was it Robert Ruark who said use enough gun, I have come to favour .30 cal for most of my Deer managements work, but do give the others an outing. Just my thoughts after over 35 years of game keeping and deer management Gar.
    Sambane likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I'm waiting for all the ballistic coefficient and sectional density guys to chime in on this one.
    Sambane and punch like this.
    Nothing is impossible......for the person that don't have to do it !!

Benefactor Member NRA

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyBadger View Post
    And people worry if a .30-30 is enough gun.....
    Most definitely not me!

" a tired warrior aims a little higher"

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    since the 1970s it is un telling how many I have killed with one. they are deadly! out of all the deer I shot with a 22-250 I only lost one, and that was my fault I took a shot I shouldn't have. over in the county that I live in a 22 hornet is legendary. at one time everybody and his brother had one. at short range up 100yds or so they are quite the deer killer. I have skinned many that my daddy shot with a hornet, a shot behind the shoulder will break ribs going in, make mush out of lungs, and they will penetrate to at least the skin on the off side and sometimes give complete penetration and break ribs on the way out. the key to any projectile is placing it well,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    One of my relatives is a grain farmer in Ohio. He shoots deer that feed in his bean field at distances of 150 yards or greater. Sounds rough but he favors grain harvest income over deer. I am not proud of his actions. His rifle is an older Remington 788 in 22-50 shooting plain inexpensive ammo.

One of my best friends hunts antelope with a 220 Swift which is a long range wonder. His rifle kills just as well as my .243. Smaller bore rifle shooter must make shot placement choices that include double lung destruction.

TR
    Gareth Holland likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links