Rifle scope choice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Rifle scope choice

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Rifle scope choice

Hey good people, I was wondering about which rifle scope to purchase, I'm very keen to buy one, but as always there's a little bit of 'risk' involved. Meaning, if it's what I was hoping for and does it meet common hunting standards etc... Any thoughts about the Bushnell FFP BTR-1 rifle scope?. It seems to get good specs from a lot of reviewers and it's a top choice rifle scope according to this article: https://www.pointoptics.com/best-rifle-scopes/.

Also let me know what you use please Thx!
    Lever Jac, turbobug and 256WinMag like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Your scope choice depends on the type of rifle being used and what will you be using the rifle for--type of hunting/type of target shooting/possible competition shooting?
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    What he said ^^^^, it depends.

and something to add, WELCOME TO MARLIN OWNERS!
    Last edited by twodot; 10-02-2019 at 08:28 AM.
    Gr8rtst and Lever Jac like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Welcome to the forum from Kansas. I have a Redfield 2x7 on a 336 my other 2 Marlins levers have iron sights. The Redfield fits my needs as an all round scope, fast both eyes open shooting with the 2 power and enough magnification at 7 power to test different loads for accuracy.
    256WinMag and Australian like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Welcome! Scopes are a personal choice. I have some fixed and some variable, depending on use. Good luck in your search.
    Lever Jac and Gr8rtst like this.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    "Which scope" discussions run alongside Ford-vs-Chevy, it's all personal preference, reasons for intended use, budget, and so forth.
    Lever Jac, M1Riflenut and Gr8rtst like this.
    NRA - Life; NAHC - Life; Retired USN
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ...... glory, lasts forever!
    Team 30-30 #960; Team Model 60 #251; Team 35 #598; Team 375 #68; Team 45-70 #1658;
    Team 39 #467; Team Bolt Action Rimfire #157

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Buy the best you can afford and still have ammo $$$

I prefer a mid range scope, cost wise, this gives you the best "bang for the buck" in my opinion.

The scope for me is the Nikon Prostaff. You can find a model to fit most budgets and these carry EXCELLENT glass for the cost. Very nice in low light conditions too. I prefer the 50mm objective on big game rifles, and 40mm objective in rimfire's / Black Rifles. The Prostaff model is a step up from the regular Nikon, make sure the sales ad lists it as a "prostaff".

DR
    Peke, Gr8rtst and M1Riflenut like this.
    Team 60 #324
    Team .22 Magnum #114
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102
    Team Wheelguns #54
    Team 700 #5
    Team Semi-Auto #41
    Team Henry #106

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Welcome to the forums! As posted above, you don't list what your uses for the scope will be or the rifle you intend to mount it on. The scope you listed is decent but certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a lever action, if that's what your putting it on. That is of course personal preference, like the Chevy vs Ford vs Ram analogy posted above. Your choice is more suited for an AR platform rifle but it could be mounted on anything you desire. I have always been partial to Leupolds and Nikons, and both offer something for most budgets. I have owned Burris and still have a few and have no complaints. Also have a few Vortex but not as happy with those. If you have the option of checking one out at a local shop or big box store I would recommend that first.

Bushnell FFP BTR-1
    Bushnell.jpg
    Lever Jac likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Guess I have scopes from several well known companies so here goes: All scopes 3x9X unless otherwise noted.
    Leupold has a very good warrantee service. You break it, they fix it.
    I've had three Leupolds on heavy kicking rifles and they hold up fairly well. I've had three turn toes up, two at the range and one on a hunt. Weird Kind of a deal as I held on an elk's chest at 350 yards and knew I called the shot right on. Elk went down DRT. Pure unadulterated luck. Imagine the shock when we found the bullet had hit the base of the skull breaking the neck. Sent it back and it came back good as new.

Burris Fullfield II. I have couple of those mounted on rifles, one of them replacing he Leupold that was on my .35 Whelen that died on the elk hunt. It's been on three elks hunts now and seems to be holding up quite nicely. I have then on a custom .280 Remington and custom 30-06.

Minox 2.5x10X. I don't know how this one will hold up. Haven't mounted it on a rifle yet. Probably will put it on a Winchester M70 replacing a Leupold 2x7X or a custom Mauser in 7x57 if I ever figure out why it gives high pressure signs well before the M70.

Some of the scopes I have are from companies no longer in business. The Original Redfields and a couple of Tascos.

I have a Nikon Buckmaster on a .270 and it's held up just fine.

Burris, Leupold and Nikon all tout lifetime warrantees on their scopes with repair or replacement. I know Leupold's is good and I would imagine Burris and Nikon warrantees will be just as good. I have yet to see if they are. Frankly, and I have this from a good source who considers the Burris Fullfield II do be an excellent buy. Based on the two I have mounted on my rifles, he just may be right. He thought that the brightness was just as good as a certain European scope that cost 10 time the price and he said it in print. I'll probably buy another one from Burris based on his opinion and won't look back.
    Paul B.
    M1Riflenut, Lever Jac and M700 like this.
    COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMOROM PROMULGATED BY MORONS!
    WHAT GOOD FORTUNE FOR GOVERNMENT THAT THE PEOPLE DO NOT THINK!....Adolf Hitler
    Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
    MOLON LABE

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I have a 3-9x40 Bushnell Bone Collector on mine. I just had it laying around and it fit the bill at the time. Its been a pretty decent scope I must say...and in the mid-range for pricing. (I bought it used for $60...regularly ~$130) I deer hunt with my 336 35 Rem if it makes any difference.

[EDIT] - I just looked...its a discontinued model...but Ebay still has some brand new for $80.

redhawk
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Be Alert....we need more lerts.
    Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links