Sporterized Krag - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Sporterized Krag

Gunfighter
    Member #
    My buddy has two 30-40 Krag's. It is his go to choice for deer. I'm pretty sure he loads 220's for his. And he is super fast with it. He has shot a lot of deer with it. He has an old Toyota Land Cruiser with license plate 3040KRG.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Buglemintoday View Post
    I love these rifles. Just so much history..and apparently in the early 1900's many people were buying these up and cutting them down and replacing the wood and using them for their hunting rifle. Elk, deer, bear, moose, whatever came along.

Went in a gun store a few hours away from home and spotted one. Wow I wanted it but kinda pricey. The stock had been repaired, and had a "pacific" brand rear peep sight. But the bore looked brand new on the inside. Bright shiny. Left and said if I didnt see a better one then I may come back and make an offer.

The next store had a better looking krag but the barrel looked ruined. I said I wasnt going to buy it...then I asked if their gunsmith had a bore light. We ran a few wet patches down the barrel and it also had a clean bore with no rust issues!! It was just very dirty. I ended up buying this rifle. It has a marbles rear sight...barrel is 23.5" long. I love the character in the stock checkering and it has the "look" of a classic hunting rifle. Who knows the stories it could tell..
    Beautiful rifle Buglemintoday.
    Team Marlin 1895 CB 45/70 # 1869, Team Browning # 148
    Team Marlin 336W 30/30 # 1392,
    Team Shotgun # 124
    Team Wheelguns # 109,
    Team Semi Auto # 73,Team Old Pharts # 378
    Team Rossi 92 .44 Mag 38 Spl/357 Mag. # 83 Team 60 # 477
    Team Henry GB .22 LR # 134,Team Henry .22 Mag # 175

Wrangler
    Member #
    There was a beautiful 30-40 Krag come through the local gun store a few months ago. I didn't have the resources to buy it at the time, but it was everything folks here are saying about it. The gun store retired LEO said the Krag fits about the middle between a 30-30 and the 30-06 in performance and range.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have never seen the inside of a Krag magazine or how it opens. If someone can snap a few photos....? Please?

While I've handled them at gun shows, I never did open the magazines out of respect to the seller.

I'd love to own one chambered in 6.5x55 Swedish.

Thanks.
    Buglemintoday and gunscrewguy like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo57509 View Post
    I have never seen the inside of a Krag magazine or how it opens. If someone can snap a few photos....? Please?

While I've handled them at gun shows, I never did open the magazines out of respect to the seller.

Thanks.
    Here you go. Just drop in the cartridges and snap shut. Sorry about the blurry photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Old men with Garands do not panic.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thanks everyone for the comments!

The magazine box on the Krag is awesome. No fiddling around with the cartridges...drop them in the box, close the hatch and go! Hickok45 has some good hd videos on Youtube so you can see the Krag in action.

I should be receiving my 220gr Sierra Pro Hunter Roundnose bullets today along with my Hornady brass. 40.0gr of IMR4350 seems to be the favorite load across the internet...somewhere around 1900-2000fps
    Marlin 39A .22LR
    Marlin 1895 .45/70
    Marlin 336rc .30/30
    Marlin 1894 .44 Rem Mag

Sidewinder
    Member #
    nice pictures!!!!! i luv my krag. my late pappy gave it to me. the krag was bought by my great grandfather in the 1920s?. it was sportized when he bought it. it was his deer gun. then he gave to pappy to use. then pap gave it to my father till he got a rifle(rem m760 in '06). then pap gave it to my late uncle till he bought a rifle(rem 760 in '06). then pap let it sit in his gun cabinet until a few weeks before he died. i bought a redfield 102k aperture sight on eshay. also i took off the bishop stock as i had the original stock that great grandpap used. .

“Einstein's relativity work is a magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king... its exponents are brilliant men but they are metaphysicists rather than scientists.”
    Nikola Tesla

Deadeye
    Member #
    Really nice to see these pieces of history, thanks for taking the time to post.

Wrangler
    Member #
    You did right by putting your grandpap's original stock back on the action, linebaugh. Now go make some more memories, and if you don't mind, share a few with us when they happen.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    It's been awhile since I had a nice Krag sporter. I get one every once in a while that is just been cut down. When I get originals that have not been molested they don't last long. A 30/40 is good for about anything you come across in lower 48. There are some very nicely done Sporters that were dirt cheap in the past but popularity of them has jacked prices up. The last one I got in a lot was a basement cut down job.image.jpeg
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links