Ruger 77/22 Hornet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Ruger 77/22 Hornet

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Ruger 77/22 Hornet

I bought a like new Ruger 77/22 Hornet the other day and never having owned one I did a little research on the web and about 60% of the people on the web talked negative about accuracy and the two piece bolt. Shimming the bolt was discussed also. I also read glowing reports on the 45 gr Hornady Custom ammo so wanting the rifle to shoot good but having negative thoughts about whether it would or would not I went ahead and shimmed the bolt and ordered a volgartson sear which really improved the trigger pull. Yesterday I took the little rifle to the range and after getting sighted in at 50 yads it looked promising so I shot some at 100 yards and was adjusting as I went. Long story short after getting sighted in at 100 yards I fired three shots that hit the quarter sized spot

The rifle may have performed without adding the sear but a good triggerr never hurt a thing and the Hornady ammo is simply superb at 2665 fps. It is by far the most accurate 22 Hornet I have ever owned and I was very negative from the start so I apolige to Ruger. LOL

Wrangler
    Western Tennessee, close to the Big Muddy - but not TOO close!
    Member #
    horseshoe -
    Don't know if you reload, but if you do, try some Varmint Grenades on vermin. They are AWSOME!

WYT-P
    Skyhunter
    gunscrewguy and horseshoe like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I forgot that I posted several days ago about buying this rifle but in my stupor I posted about it again but this time at least I had a range report to go with it. lol
    gunscrewguy and M1Riflenut like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by horseshoe View Post
    I bought a like new Ruger 77/22 Hornet the other day and never having owned one I did a little research on the web and about 60% of the people on the web talked negative about accuracy and the two piece bolt. Shimming the bolt was discussed also. I also read glowing reports on the 45 gr Hornady Custom ammo so wanting the rifle to shoot good but having negative thoughts about whether it would or would not I went ahead and shimmed the bolt and ordered a volgartson sear which really improved the trigger pull. Yesterday I took the little rifle to the range and after getting sighted in at 50 yads it looked promising so I shot some at 100 yards and was adjusting as I went. Long story short after getting sighted in at 100 yards I fired three shots that hit the quarter sized spot

The rifle may have performed without adding the sear but a good trigger never hurt a thing and the Hornady ammo is simply superb at 2665 fps. It is by far the most accurate 22 Hornet I have ever owned and I was very negative from the start so I apolige to Ruger. LOL
    Horseshoe,

I also acquired a like new Stainless 24" a few years back. The little action design manages the 357 and 44 mag with ease. I am sure the barrel will give out before the action. Like you, my only change was a trigger parts kit to improve the break and pull weight.

I was fortunate to pick one up that the previous owner had chambered to a 22 K Hornet. If you have not tried the Hornady V or Z max 40 gr BT bullet, you should. I get 3,050 fps with VV-N110 in the 22 K Hornet. Not bad for a 11.7 gr powder charge. If you do not reload, this little cartridge gives you a good reason to start. I also shoot the 45 gr Hornady hollow point bullets designed for the 218 bee and Hornet. They are a great varmint bomb. The V and Z max is for target work.

Dime sized groups are regular at 100 yards with steady to no wind. Gusts do cause challenges with a 40 gr bullet.
    rob42049 and horseshoe like this.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My brother had one a few years ago and he would be in the group that was dissatisfied with accuracy issues. He would get between 5-8 shots before his groups would open up to shotgun patterns. It didn't matter what ammo he used, I think this was in 2003-4. I tried reloading for it and that didn't help, he finally traded it for a Rem 788 in 243.
    horseshoe likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    A lot of the accuracy issues especially with the barrel heating up is the bedding of the rifle in the stock. The 2nd most issues were the trigger. I've made some very nice shooting M77's by addressing those two issues. The new Ruger's are totally different design.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    over the decades I have had many hornets. the one thing I have found in common with them all is that they can be finnicky when it comes to accuracy. I told this a while back, if you handload always use rem. 6 1/2 primers. there is good evidence that if a small rifle primer is used the primer is hot enough to flame jump over the powder before it ignites and start the projectile on its way ahead of the powder explosion. that is why people say to use small pistol primers, but they don't work as good as the correct primer. I have been handloading for the hornet since the 70s with mixed results, mostly frustrating. when I tried the rem. 6 1/2 primers instantly groups got better. that primer was made for the hornet and the 218 bee ,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    over the decades I have had many hornets. the one thing I have found in common with them all is that they can be finnicky when it comes to accuracy. I told this a while back, if you handload always use rem. 6 1/2 primers. there is good evidence that if a small rifle primer is used the primer is hot enough to flame jump over the powder before it ignites and start the projectile on its way ahead of the powder explosion. that is why people say to use small pistol primers, but they don't work as good as the correct primer. I have been handloading for the hornet since the 70s with mixed results, mostly frustrating. when I tried the rem. 6 1/2 primers instantly groups got better. that primer was made for the hornet and the 218 bee ,,,,,,,,,,
    If this is the case with the Hornet now then maybe adding a small bit of dacron filler before the bullet is seated might give a more consistent burn. Just a thought.
    horseshoe and OLSKOOL like this.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    yea maybe I guess if you don't have the rem. 6 1/2 primer. but with me the primers made all the difference. I bought a 100 to try, it worked so I went back and got a brick,,,,,,,,,,,,
    horseshoe likes this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    My Bro has a 77Hornet that gives him fits. He would have gotten rid of it but his kids bought it for him. He had bought the after market stuff , shimmed it and cussed it for years. It's one of 1st out blue & walnut Sporters. Bullets, powders and primers he's tried them all and best he gets is 1.5" to 2" groups at 100yds. He's shooting 4227 and a Nosler bullet to get that. I forget bullet grain but it's for the Hornet. I have had a lot of Hornets and find them all finicky. I never did have one to write home about. Some of best shooters I had were old Savage 23s and even 340s. I was on a quest once to find a tack driver in a 43 win and went through several never finding it.
    The best Hornet I've every shot belongs to a buddy. A Stevens falling block with a Douglas barrel , it will do under 1" at 100yds but it's built Varmit style with a Lyman target scope and is to heavy to carry as a hunting rifle.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links