Remington 788 trigger upgrade
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Remington 788 trigger upgrade

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Remington 788 trigger upgrade

Thinking about an aftermarket trigger for my .223 , about all I can find is the Timney.
    At about $250 to buy here , I am wondering if its worth it.
    Is it a gunsmith job? = more $ .
    Are there any others?
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    man I do my own triggers. I would take it to a gunsmith. I would guess lot less than 250.00 it just needs a bit of polishing and fine tuning,,,,,,,,,

and buy the way a hidden fact is the 788s had Douglas premium barrels, that is why the shoot so good,,,,,,,,,,,
    Boris, Ret_Eng, Drm50 and 3 others like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    These triggers are tricky; one spring controls both the trigger pull and the sear engagement. I searched and found a reduced pressure spring on line. About 2 3/4 pounds on my Wheeler trigger gauge and passes the bolt slam and butt bump tests. Caliber .222 dime size groups at 100 yards if I do my part.
    Boris, Ret_Eng and gunscrewguy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtoSkeet View Post
    These triggers are tricky; one spring controls both the trigger pull and the sear engagement. I searched and found a reduced pressure spring on line. About 2 3/4 pounds on my Wheeler trigger gauge and passes the bolt slam and butt bump tests. Caliber .222 dime size groups at 100 yards if I do my part.
    That is probably why many gunsmiths won't do mods on a Mod 788. My Mod 788 has a good trigger--not a target trigger--but good enough for my hunting pursuits.
    Boris, turbobug and gunscrewguy like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Eng View Post
    That is probably why many gunsmiths won't do mods on a Mod 788. My Mod 788 has a good trigger--not a target trigger--but good enough for my hunting pursuits.
    I'm sure you just get used to the trigger on any given rifle. I used this rifle culling kangaroos for a dollar, so it has a high round count. Looking at the bore though, you won't know it.
    OLSKOOL mentioned that the Douglas barrels were used on the 788. Makes me a big fan.
    OLSKOOL, turbobug and gunscrewguy like this.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    I have had a couple or 3 of these rifles. the last one I had was a 30-30 the stud on the trigger was broken. I had to fix it, I just can't remember how exactly without looking at another. but they are bad about breaking, I remember I drilled it out and threaded the receiver and put in a hex screw. I did a trigger job at the same time. I had a couple in 22-250 and one in 6mm rem. that was my brother in-laws gun. they were real shooters! especially one of the 22-250s,,,,,,,,,,,
    Boris, turbobug and gunscrewguy like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    There is a ton of 788 around here. Most in varmit calibers up to 6mm Rem. I didn't know they had Douglas barrels. The early Ruger 77s were said to have Douglas barrels but I never had solid information on that. I have herd that the big gun companies sub out barrels from time to time. The subcontractors bid on it and probably low bid gets it. I have also heard rumors that a certain rifle with serial between X and Z is no good because of barrels used. The last big flap over this is when they came out with CF .17 cal cartridges. The rejection rate was suppose to be so high they weren't profitable. Same source said rejects were rebored to bigger calibers. That didn't make sense to me. How can you rebore a bad barrel without the piolot following existing bore. I think a lot of this stuff is rumors.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    My 22-250 Rem 788 will shoot dime sized groups at 200 yards. Most accurate rifle I own. But the factory trigger is awful. Probably around 8#.
    Factory trigger has two springs. One to resist the trigger pull, and one to push the trigger back to starting position. Problem is that they work in opposition to each other and give a heavy pull.

If you care to search the web, you can find a published modification, removing one of the springs, and installing another. However, the trigger assembly needs a hole drilled and a pin installed for the new spring to push against. Not too difficult, but the trigger assembly is pot metal and if you screw it up...

Timney makes a drop in trigger for the 788. Remove the middle pin and the assembly comes out. Reinstall the pin, and you're done. Instant 3# trigger, adjustable for a little bit less. Immense improvement.

EBay has 788 triggers for $115-139.00 US. Don't know if they will or are allowed to ship to Oz. Used replacement trigger assemblies sell for $75-90.00 US, if you'd rather try the modification on a used factory trigger.
    gunscrewguy, Boris and OLSKOOL like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    788's have a long reputation of being tack drivers. Between the quality of barrel made back then, correct bedding, decent trigger, and many say the rear locking system used are the key. The tubular receiver is uber stiff due to the small ejection port.

A poor man's sniper.

AC
    Last edited by gunscrewguy; 06-11-2019 at 05:26 AM.
    Boris, OLSKOOL and Ret_Eng like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    My 22-250 Rem 788 will shoot dime sized groups at 200 yards. Most accurate rifle I own. But the factory trigger is awful. Probably around 8#.
    Factory trigger has two springs. One to resist the trigger pull, and one to push the trigger back to starting position. Problem is that they work in opposition to each other and give a heavy pull.

If you care to search the web, you can find a published modification, removing one of the springs, and installing another. However, the trigger assembly needs a hole drilled and a pin installed for the new spring to push against. Not too difficult, but the trigger assembly is pot metal and if you screw it up...

Timney makes a drop in trigger for the 788. Remove the middle pin and the assembly comes out. Reinstall the pin, and you're done. Instant 3# trigger, adjustable for a little bit less. Immense improvement.

EBay has 788 triggers for $115-139.00 US. Don't know if they will or are allowed to ship to Oz. Used replacement trigger assemblies sell for $75-90.00 US, if you'd rather try the modification on a used factory trigger.
    Yeah, can't import them from anyone, [restricted item?] If I get a Timney , i'll put the factory one in the parts drawer as is.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links