Remington 742 question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Remington 742 question

Sidewinder
    Dillingham, Alaska (327 air miles SW of Anchorage)
    Member #

Remington 742 question

I have read on different forums about Remington 742s having issues with the "rail(s)" getting beat up. When I look at a schematic on Numrich's... I don't see a part labeled "rail(s)". Is there another name for this part? Just looking at the schematic, I'd think maybe the action bar might be a possibility but I'd like to hear from someone who knows for sure. If it's not, what part is the "rail(s)" that folks talk about taking a beating? Thanks in advance.
    94win30wcf and DRSLYR like this.
    Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thes. 5:16-18

"Boy, are you a stutterer, or have you just got a brick for a brain?"- Capt. Inish Scull; Comanche Moon by L. McMurtry

jdh
    Tinhorn
    Member #
    They are machined into the receiver and are not a replaceable part.
    AK_Taxidermist and Konnorman like this.

Sidewinder
    Dillingham, Alaska (327 air miles SW of Anchorage)
    Member #
    Well now... that explains a lot. jdh... thank you sir.
    jdh likes this.
    Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thes. 5:16-18

"Boy, are you a stutterer, or have you just got a brick for a brain?"- Capt. Inish Scull; Comanche Moon by L. McMurtry

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Every gun smith around here has a bucket of 742 receivers cut in half. once they are worn. its new receiver time. they cut em so no one will try to reuse em.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 94win30wcf View Post
    Every gun smith around here has a bucket of 742 receivers cut in half. once they are worn. its new receiver time. they cut em so no one will try to reuse em.
    Bring back the 8 & 81........None of them did that.
    Smith & Wesson The Handgun Of Choice!
    Revolvers Rule.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
    Bring back the 8 & 81........None of them did that.
    some fine rifles!

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Got a 742 that I picked up years ago and it’s been used in all kinds of terrain/weather, been used/mildly abused and has always been one heck of a rifle! Guess I got the diamond in the ruff!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Wrangler
    Member #
    Model 742 Rems are just not high round count guns. They work several hundred rounds & then they start having problems. With decent care, some have lasted near a lifetime as a hunting gun. At 10 or 12 rounds a year, you can get close to 50 years before hitting the 500 round mark which is close to life span for the guns. I expect some calibers lasts longer than others due to differences in pressure, but none are considered long life. I personally like the guns, but I did eventually accept the fact they break. If a person is lucky, no more than a couple replaceable parts will break first and can be repaired. And with good maintenance, maybe the rails will hold up for 700 - 800 rounds. If you own one, just accept it's likely you may have problems after a few hundred rounds. It's a great excuse to buy another gun.....
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Trade it or sell it as soon as you can! My 742 was a hunk of junk!

DRSLYR
    Drm50 and AK_Taxidermist like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I bought a .30-06 742 BDL from a friend years ago. He said it wouldn't group well. Got it for $250.00. He was right. I couldn't get it to group well either. But... all I had to do to it was remove the scope and re-tighten the mount screws. It would shoot 1.0"-2.0" 100 yd groups after that. It performed well but kicked like a mule. My brother took a liking to it and used it to take several deer. Worked well for him and he didn't want to part with it. I ended up trading it to him for his very well maintained and excellent condition pre-64 Win 94.
    I know I got the better deal.
    AK_Taxidermist likes this.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! -- Thomas Jefferson

Bugs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links