Ruger No. 1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: Ruger No. 1

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    7mm-08, 30-06, 280, 308 or 7x57, any one of these for versatility for what you are talking about. I had one for a very short while back in the 80's, a 30-06. Just plain and simple Americana.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    The cartridges I'm torn between are 30-06, 300 win mag, 338-06, 338 win mag, 35 Whelen, 375 Ruger, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, and 45-70. 45-70 is probably reaching a little because I would download in a 45-70 with a Ruger No1 and already have a 1895 XLR
    edcknives, Marlinjunkie and M700 like this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I should also note that I'm not a magnum nut by any means. I'm not recoil shy at all. But when still hunting and stalking you just don't need them for anything really. Maybe a charging dangerous animal but that would be it
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have a 1B in 243 Win. I wish I had something a little bigger.

If I could just choose anything in a #1 it would be something in 6.5mm / 26 caliber:
    264 Win Mag
    6.5mm Rem Mag
    260 Rem
    260 Rem AI
    6.5mm-06
    26 Nosler
    6.5mmx55mm
    6.5mm Creedmoor

Second choice would be something in 7mm / 28 cal:
    7mm-08
    280 Rem
    280 Rem AI
    7mm SAUM
    7MM RUM
    7mm STW
    bryan alder and Marlinjunkie like this.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have always wanted the Tropical Carbine in 375 H&H Magnum. I love the look of those guns and the flip up leaf sights. More practically I would like one in 257 roberts. Dont see too many at the shows now days though.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan alder View Post
    I should also note that I'm not a magnum nut by any means. I'm not recoil shy at all. But when still hunting and stalking you just don't need them for anything really. Maybe a charging dangerous animal but that would be it
    Well, that last sentence changed my mind. I was thinking 35 Whelen, but charging, dangerous game, I want the biggest bullet I can have with one shot, unless you can speed load. I would choose the 45-70. You can load it light for smaller game and load it heavy for bigger, dangerous game. My Lyman book shows high end 45-70 loads approaching low end 458 WinMag. Just my unqualified opinion as I have never hunted mean stuff and don't see me ever doing it.
    Big, flatnose bullets eliminate tracking.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I most likely wouldn't either. Call me a nut though and my SHTF rifle might just be a Ruger No1 though. If Im gonna die it will be with a pretty looking gun in my hands!
    flatnose, edcknives, M700 and 5 others like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan alder View Post
    I most likely wouldn't either. Call me a nut though and my SHTF rifle might just be a Ruger No1 though. If Im gonna die it will be with a pretty looking gun in my hands!
    My SHTF rifle will have 1a in its name, but it is a Springfield M1a, if I am going to die it will be with a large pile of pretty and empty brass around me.
    Old men with Garands do not panic.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Agreed! But my all my other guns would be empty of out of rounds! Lucky Ruger w9uld be in my hands though at the end!
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by flatnose View Post
    Well, that last sentence changed my mind. I was thinking 35 Whelen, but charging, dangerous game, I want the biggest bullet I can have with one shot, unless you can speed load. I would choose the 45-70. You can load it light for smaller game and load it heavy for bigger, dangerous game. My Lyman book shows high end 45-70 loads approaching low end 458 WinMag. Just my unqualified opinion as I have never hunted mean stuff and don't see me ever doing it.
    I have a better idea, the Ruger #1 in .416 Rigby. Suitable up to and including elephant. The late great Harry Selby, African professional hunter used that cartridge to protect his clients. I have the .416 and a .404 Jeffery as well as the .365 H&H. My small collection of Ruger #1s runs from the .22 Hornet to the 45-70 and a whole bunch in between. Yes, I do hunt with the at least until I started doing a private land elk hunt. The ranch onwer and the outfitter both forbid the use of a single loader rifle. Funny thing is I've yaken seven elk off the place and never had to shoot a second time. Oh well, their place their rules.
    Paul B.
    COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMOROM PROMULGATED BY MORONS!
    WHAT GOOD FORTUNE FOR GOVERNMENT THAT THE PEOPLE DO NOT THINK!....Adolf Hitler
    Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
    MOLON LABE

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links