Looks like time - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Looks like time

Deadeye
    Member #
    Hey NewToSkeet, tell those fine people in HR that you want to retire ASAP. I maybe missed work for 25 seconds after I walked out the door.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    You will love it , you're gunna kick yourself in the keester for not leaving at 65 !

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Congratulations. Self employed most of my life, after 4 years of working for Uncle Sam. Retired at 70 and haven't looked back. This last month or so has been tough, though. Rain almost every day and can't get out and play.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

A Ghost Ring brings everything into perspective.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Loving it every minute! I worked until 70 plus 8 months, got my paper route at 8 and worked ever since. Nope, I have no time for a part time job! Between my gun hobbies, my kids and grandkids, and traveling, there just isn't any time left for gainful employment, though the grocery budget would probably appreciate it. Not gonna happen. Choices.....Take time to enjoy it, you've earned it!
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I checked out of the work force at 62. I got a job after school when i was 12 and a half. About to be 71. I worked for over 50 years. That's enough. There's always something to do, the pace is relaxed. I never met anybody that regretted retirement. In case you weren't aware, we're all gonna die. Life is a finite string.

We're here for a short time, make it a good time.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtoSkeet View Post
    Thinking of volunteering for Habitat for Huminity; It'll be returning to my college major, light frame (housing) construction.
    Not sure I can connect the dots from there to a Nuke officer in the Navy...
    Come join us on the LCS program, if you miss the service. I thought I was done with the Navy 19 years ago, but it turns out, the Navy wasn’t done with me!
    Marlinjunkie and lever30 like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Get yourself in shape before you retire. You'll be a lot busier after than before. There's always something to do.

Retired in October 2019. Paring down household contents and paining entire house in preparation to move down to our place in coastal NC.

Busy, busy, busy. Have not had enough time to shoot!
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I retired when i was approximately your age. I had been working since my early teens and I was scared to death. Finances were pretty good and so was my wife's and my health. She retired first and talked me into it. Turns out after almost 5 years I love it. I have no problem keeping busy but now it on my schedule. I work out, run, go to the range and do it all 9n my schedule. Well......maybe a little input from the wife but it is good.

Padraig
    Marlinjunkie, lever30 and JMAG54 like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriffin1988 View Post
    Not sure I can connect the dots from there to a Nuke officer in the Navy...
    Come join us on the LCS program, if you miss the service. I thought I was done with the Navy 19 years ago, but it turns out, the Navy wasn’t done with me!
    I was Nuke enlisted, my evaluations made up for my less than 3.0 GPA and got me into OCS. Adm Rickover didn't allow enlisted Nukes in his Officer Corps so I went Surface Warfare. Did three shore tours as instructor. That got me in Training Manager for a major boat engine manufacturer. That got me into shipbuilding. My point is I've always built my next expertise on past experience but HR is too stupid to realize the value of that. I am trying to train a bunch of youngsters, they are smart and eager. I may owe them something, but the company nothing. Kind of blowing off steam, but I'm pretty sure retirement will be sooner, not later.

I appreciate all the comments. With the exception of my maternal grandmother (hypertension, and mine is treated but lower when off work) everyone lived into the mid to late eighties of beyond, so a year or so … Everyone retires for health reasons, some physical, in my case probably mental.

What is LCS?
    Last edited by NewtoSkeet; 02-15-2020 at 08:15 AM.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    you gotta stay busy if you want to stay alive, living in Florida most of my life I'd seen folks who retired, many many many of them, moved from somewhere up north, they got a new house new car new boat, spent a few months going to the golf course, a few months going out in boat or fishing or something and then they took to drinking, became couch potatoes and then the ambulance comes to get them. I've seen it happen way too many times. Find something you truly enjoy and delve into it head first and stay busy and active and you will feel better have a sense of worth and your family and friend will be able to enjoy the good times you'll have

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links