life insurance - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: life insurance

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

life insurance

Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    oh we will be cremated, going the cheapest way! but I was just thinking about the first one of us to croak to leave the other a little more $$$,,,,,,,,,,,
    Buy a pound or two of gold and bury it deep, don’t share the location details with anyone except your wife.
    Gold is running just shy of $23,000 a pound today. It could be double that very soon when the global economy goes pear-shaped...don’t delay.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    In our family of five children, I was the only boy - youngest. I never liked my father and he never liked me. Our mother died first and per her request, was cremated. The old man made it clear to his girls that he did not want to be cremated.

Some years later, I embarked on a hunting trip in the Republic of South Africa. I told my sisters that should he die, do not delay the funeral for my return. On the last day of my hunt, he died. My return flight was booked for September 11, 2001. All flights to the US were cancelled and I was stranded in Johannesburg for days. I was spared the choice of either being labeled a prick for not attending the funeral or a hypocrite for going. The funny part is, the girls he pampered had him cremated.

My wife and I both want direct cremation and then a party (band and everything) to be held in our honor at a later date. Since I'm almost twenty years her senior, it is likely she will be the one planning the party.

T.S.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Toss my ass on a bonfire, pour a gallon of high-proof moonshine on top and light that SOB up.
    But no, the government has banned funeral pyres in the so-called land of the free...
    Cain’t have nothin’!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

GFK
    Deadeye
    Member #
    I was not crazy about cremating my mother. Then, I recalled: "Dust you came from, dust you will go." So, I let it go, and father was cremated as well.
    "One man's rights end where another man's rights begin." Dad

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriffin1988 View Post
    Toss my ass on a bonfire, pour a gallon of high-proof moonshine on top and light that SOB up.
    But no, the government has banned funeral pyres in the so-called land of the free...
    Cain’t have nothin’!
    I am with you griffen, and smoke my ashes in a pipe.........................
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Last edited by HIKayaker; 07-30-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    jgriffin1988 and Marlinjunkie like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have already instructed my heirs that when I go, just dump me in the swamp and take a nice vacation on the money they save.
    My Avatar is in Honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Brig/Gen Dudley M. DuBose.
    Flag is the Sole surviving Battle Flag of the 15th Ga Infantry Regt..
    Commandant (Col.) 1861-63

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have my policy through Genworth Insurance.

TR
    OLSKOOL likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    I have a question. I am turning 62 and about to retire. my wife is right behind me and may retire this year. we want to buy some life insurance. is colonel Penn any good? is there something better?
    I cannot answer about Colonial Penn being any good or not, but when buying LTC insurance recently I learned that CP is a subsidiary of Bankers Life and policies that BL does not want are referred to CP. Probably not much help, but all I can offer...best of luck!
    vaslugger likes this.
    Jim
    Team 45/70 #456
    Team 35 #293
    Team 32 Special #99
    Team 375 #11

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Economic ratings of the various life insurance companies are available online. The ratings are the solvency of the companies. That is how likely or unlikely they are to stay in business. Ratings have nothing to do with the services offered, or how helpful they will be when you call or have a problem.

For OLSKOOL and wife, your rates will have everything to do with your state of health at the time you apply. The worse your health, the more you can expect to pay.

Try to find an insurance broker, one who deals with many companies, rather than a captive agent who sells for only one company. A broker will be able to shop the best rate for you among many companies. The rates will not be the same among various companies.

Compare rates (premiums) for both term and universal life policies. Term insurance rates will be much cheaper for the same amount of coverage. For instance, I have Universal Life coverage with NWML. For the same annual premium I am paying for that policy, I could purchase 15x that amount of term insurance. The argument is that an amount of the higher premiums go into an account for me, that, given enough time, will grow as an investment. Yes, and no. The amount of premiums paid over the 30 years I have had the policy have grown at just about 4% annually. Had I just bought term insurance and invested the difference in premiums, it would have grown at 10% plus in the market for 30 years and be worth at least 5x as much today.

For shorter periods, the return is less, as there is initially little dividend growth.

As soon as I retire, and get into a lower tax bracket, I will cash in the whole life policy to avoid as much capital gain as possible.

By all means, do whatever you wish, but compare the term rates with the whole/universal life policies.

If your health is not good there are other options for guaranteed issue term, for 5000-10,000.00 policies for somewhat higher premiums.

I am not an insurance agent nor a broker.
    turbobug, vaslugger and miljimbob like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links