The over the hill gang - Page 3
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree1088Likes

Thread: The over the hill gang

Distinguished Master
    In an old beaver swamp in upstate New York
    Member #
    It took them 20 years to knock me off my bike, but they finally got me. I always say there's only to kinds of bikers
    The ones that have crashed and the ones that are going
    To crash.
    Have a great day.
    Supporter of USA Olympic shooting Team
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I forgot to mention. my bikes were the peddling kind.
    no primers, Vooch, mikom and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I am changing everything on my AT bike. The seat is all wrong, was to low and tilted down, the derailers are messed up. Spent a lot of time yesterday adjusting.
    Last edited by no primers; 07-20-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    94win30wcf, mikom, M700 and 2 others like this.
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    My tires came in for my road bike. Put the rear tire on, that was a big enuff job for today , pinched the tube, had to go and buy a tube repair kit.
    Put the tire back together, had another leak.
    It's almost 90 degrees out now. Decided to head for Walmart s , now they have changed the tires and tubes sizes nothing labeled with my size. Took a guess, get home and take the tube out of the box, and it has the weirdest valve stem i have ever seen, not anything like they have use in the last 100 years.
    Got it mounted up .then readjusted everything rear brake caliber gave me fits.
    I had enuf for one day.
    So now iam going to put a game camera out back somewhere, take a walk maybe get a picture.
    Vooch, M700, mikom and 3 others like this.
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Just got back from my walk in the woods, put out a trail cam, i can see i will need to take a few more trees out as well.
    I have a bunch of trees down again across my Oliver roads.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by no primers; 07-20-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    rob42049, Vooch, 256WinMag and 5 others like this.
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by no primers View Post
    It took them 20 years to knock me off my bike, but they finally got me. I always say there's only to kinds of bikers
    The ones that have crashed and the ones that are going
    To crash.
    Have a great day.
    In my youth I was a motorcycle courier for a year. Got back from a job abroad and had no new contracts so my friend said 'You can ride a bike, easy money'. He was right, cept for being knocked off a few times. Anyho we used to say 'There are old bikers and bold bikers, but no old bold bikers'.

Back on thread, I am mid sixties and swim maybe five times a week at a local club, mostly at 6.30am. Always been a swimmer, from school days and never stopped. When injured, early 30's, to the point of serious surgery the surgeon who was a diamond recommended swimming. As it works out the heart, lungs and muscles but with no strain on the joints. I said I already do, he said dont stop.

Funny story, years later I met a US military surgeon in Arizona. I made mention the guy who fixed me, and the US guy said he trained under him on attachment to the UK. Small world.

Thing is, when are we over the hill? I have given this way too much thought recently. Average age for a male in the UK is 80. Thus I have about 65 behind me and maybe 15 or so in front. Thats kinda thought provoking. Rather focuses the mind. So what do I do? Just carry on I spose. Go to the range, shoot as much as possible. What are we supposed to do? I dont know.. Have I bought them? My last pair of shoes I mean.

Thank goodness I remain in very good health, no issues at all, no meds required. Never take that for granted, just thankful. I have seen how quickly things can change in others.
    Last edited by tranteruk; 07-20-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    In my youth I was a motorcycle courier for a year. Got back from a job abroad and had no new contracts so my friend said 'You can ride a bike, easy money'. He was right, cept for being knocked off a few times. Anyho we used to say 'There are old bikers and bold bikers, but no old bold bikers'.

Back on thread, I am mid sixties and swim maybe five times a week at a local club, mostly at 6.30am. Always been a swimmer, from school days and never stopped. When injured, early 30's, to the point of serious surgery the surgeon who was a diamond recommended swimming. As it works out the heart, lungs and muscles but with no strain on the joints. I said I already do, he said dont stop.

Funny story, years later I met a US military surgeon in Arizona. I made mention the guy who fixed me, and the US guy said he trained under him on attachment to the UK. Small world.

Thing is, when are we over the hill? I have given this way too much thought recently. Average age for a male in the UK is 80. Thus I have about 65 behind me and maybe 15 or so in front. Thats kinda thought provoking. Rather focuses the mind. So what do I do? Just carry on I spose. Go to the range, shoot as much as possible. What are we supposed to do? I dont know.. Have I bought them? My last pair of shoes I mean.

Thank goodness I remain in very good health, no issues at all, no meds required. Never take that for granted, just thankful. I have seen how quickly things can change in others.
    Amen to that. !!!
    tranteruk, mikom, cajun56 and 2 others like this.
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Contributing Member
    Member #
    This can be a place for guys trying to stay fit.
    Post , pictures/ ideas of your adventures walks, bike rides
    Things you do for fun , row your boat , paddle your kayak.
    Just going for a walk with your camera getting pictures of
    Wildlife or flowers.
    I have been walking for years 2/3/4 miles a day with my best friend maddy. She left me on April 11, at 01:30 AM.
    But i keep walking.
    And just a few day's ago i dragged out two of my bikes, i haven't road in thirty years.
    And they need work, new tires, brake pads etc.
    And on this morning's walk, i have set a goal for my self
    To ride into camp santanoni , again this fall and get some
    Great pictures to post.
    Iam 70 years old. But iam not throwing in the towel yet.
    This was yesterday picture of my AT bike after i got it out of the shed
    Look those bicycle tires over real close for cracks! I just hooked up to a trailer I haven't used in about a year & a half, and the tires are ruined from age. Great tread, but a cracked tire (without an innertube) will leave you walking, and pushing a bike with a flat tire!

Sure wish my knees would allow me to bike again, I always loved it. Especially the long downhill parts. LOL!

BT, I had one of those banana seat, sissy bar, high-rise handle bar, "spider bikes" we called them. I could pull a wheely and pedal for a block or two back in the day. Ya hadt'a be ready to jump past that long sissy bar if you yanked it back too far, or you'd be a soprano.......

I'm admittedly not getting enough exercise at 60, but I didn't take very good care of this old body in my junior days. Paying the price with arthritis and a bad back. I tire too easily to suit myself these days. Maybe I should start walking a bit more.
    no primers, mikom, cajun56 and 2 others like this.
    Team 444 Marlin - 1970 Centennial
    Team 22 Magnum - # 42 Marlin 57M
    Team 30-30 - # 897 1989 Marlin 30TK
    Team 35 - #501 1978 336

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

I have a bunch of trees down again across my Oliver roads.
    Hmm... I think you'll need a Husqvarna chainsaw for those.
    Have Rob bring one over!

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kraynky View Post
    Look those bicycle tires over real close for cracks! I just hooked up to a trailer I haven't used in about a year & a half, and the tires are ruined from age. Great tread, but a cracked tire (without an innertube) will leave you walking, and pushing a bike with a flat tire!
    Walking is great exercise.

Sure wish my knees would allow me to bike again, I always loved it. Especially the long downhill parts. LOL!

BT, I had one of those banana seat, sissy bar, high-rise handle bar, "spider bikes" we called them. I could pull a wheely and pedal for a block or two back in the day. Ya hadt'a be ready to jump past that long sissy bar if you yanked it back too far, or you'd be a soprano.......

I'm admittedly not getting enough exercise at 60, but I didn't take very good care of this old body in my junior days. Paying the price with arthritis and a bad back. I tire too easily to suit myself these days. Maybe I should start walking a bit more.
    The bikes have been in a shed never left out side, but the tires are shot, the chains are rusted, cables froze.
    Hard to believe. They weren't put in the shed that way.
    M700, cajun56 and lever30 like this.
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links