LED bulbs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: LED bulbs

Deadeye
    Member #

LED bulbs

Over the course of the past two years, I've been replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. This has not been a inexpensive project but a very satisfying one.To understand where I'm coming from, our house (new in '02) is flush with can lights, 47 (65w) to be exact and 34 (60-40w) other types. Ceiling fans, chandelier, table lamps, etc. We have a 2 level home so that explains the abundance of lights.
    We were always asking family/guests to turn off unneeded lights not because of energy consumption but because of the heat generated in the summer with AC on. Good luck with that!

Well I'm finally down to 33 more to go, all small stuff. The dining room chandelier has 15 small candelabra style bulbs, 14 clear bulbs over 3 bathroom vanities and two ceiling fans 4 left to go. I've not found any that look good yet for chandelier or clear vanity, so I'll just keep my eyes open. The fans (need 8ft ladder) will be changed this fall when cleaned.
    We have a automatic standby generator and whenever we have guests and it's running, there is no concern of paying attention to lights anymore. Life goes on as usual.
    Has anyone else been as aggressive as me in making the changeover?
    Nothing is impossible......for the person that don't have to do it !!

Benefactor Member NRA

Deadeye
    Member #
    I’ve changed out all the can lights in our house and some table lamps with LED, anything that gets high use. We’ve seen a 20% reduction in our electric bill. The colors of the LEDS have got much better over the years so we’ve been making the jump. They were very harsh looking in the early stages so we stayed with incandescent for awhile.
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73
    Team Remington 700 #63
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #135
    Team Winchester #131
    Team 1894 #515

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Now that the prices are down, that's all I use to replace burned out bulbs. As referenced above, today's homes with high ceilings and canned lights make changing bulbs a PITA. I am constantly turning off lights my wife leaves on. Her answer is always, "I was going back into that room" - like it's a lot of work to flip a switch. I guess motion-activated light switches are the answer.

That reminds me of a horribly dull meeting I was in with a bunch of accountants years ago. The conference room had motion-activated switches. In the middle of the meeting, the lights turned off.

T.S.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    I've replaced all of mine too...except in the hot attic and cold basement. (and when one of those incandescent bulbs burn out they'll go to LED also)....I still have a mix of Compact Fluorescent and LEDs....I like the LED's better IF they are the warm glow bulbs...the Cool White or Daylight bulbs can be pretty harsh at times. But I know that's a personal preference.

Compact Fluorescent bulbs don't work well for me in outdoor fixtures...they took to long to get bright in colder weather...or in my living-room where the TV is located. When I had the CF on a timer and we'd go to bed before the light went out...there were several times the TV would come on and ramp the volume up all by itself....we figured out that the CF's wavelength was similar to the remote control IR signal.

redhawk
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.

Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I've bought a bunch at the local walmart on closeout. Got small bulbs for the chandelier for .75 each last week (25 watt, dimmable) and some outdoor floods for $2.50 for a 2 pack. Also got a bunch of 60 watt a while back, 12 packs for $2.50.

I have noticed that my electric bill hasn't been as high. I've been pleasantly surprised at the difference. Didn't figure simply changing out light bulbs would make much of a difference, but it has.

The life span of the LED's is another bonus.
    gunscrewguy and mikom like this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I just remodeled the master bath. Put in new vanity & tri fold medicine cabinet with 5 lite bar. My wife bought LEDs for light bar and now you have to put on Cool Rays to brush your teeth. Everything in bathroom is white. Thinking of putting sun screen dispenser next to toilet. You set there very long and it's like being in a tanning booth. Less watts and twice the light off the old powder puff bulbs.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    +1 on the compact fluorescents in an outside fixture, Redhaw0. They were about worthless, especially in the winter. We'd turn them on, and then have to strike a match to see if they were lit (as my father used to say). For security lighting, they failed miserably. Someone could have carried off everything outside the house and in the garage before they gave off enough light to see by.We have changed out to LED bulbs in all of our fixtures, both inside and out, although there may be a couple of incandescent lights in the basement/crawl space where we never go, but those will be changed when they burn out.
    redhawk0 and gunscrewguy like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    For every watt spent in lighting, toasters, TV etc.., it takes more than a watt of air conditioning to make up for heat produced. Switching to lower wattage bulbs and appliances saves on both AC and lighting.

AC

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Anything that runs on resistance uses more electricity. Most people don't think of a standard bulb this way. They leave them on because someone told them it takes more electricity to turn them on than burning them.
    gunscrewguy and mikom like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    In my retirement, I have been having nice single family rental properties constructed in the Texas hill Country. Our electrical contractor uses nothing but LEDs these days.

T.S.
    gunscrewguy and Kendawg like this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links